Leeds Utd v Man City - MATCH THREAD

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Man City - MATCH THREAD

Post by John in Louisiana »

We have one damned fine football team.

Missing two starters and still had quality everywhere. Our substitutions changed the game.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

gessa wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:32 pm BBC football commentator said best game he's seen so far this season.
We're definitely gathering admirers

Was a good game, not sure it was better than Liverpool but we will provide entertainment playing against teams that want to play attacking football too.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Man City - MATCH THREAD - Roberts & Alioski start, Llorente makes the bench

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:24 pm Watching the goal back it was a big error from Cooper
I thought that immediately. Not sure why Cooper tapped it instead of putting his boot through it. It was on his right foot but I think it was part of our problems as a whole in the 1st half. We did a bad job of playing out from the back. 2nd half, Poveda gave us that outlet.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

First 20 was rabbit in the headlights stuff but from then on we grew into and personally I think should have won it.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:35 pm 7pts so far is an excellent return considering we’ve already played Liverpool and Citeh. Could have drawn against Pool, could have won today and we’ve beaten the teams should beat. Looking good
Seven from twelve over the course of the season gives us 66 - 67 for the year. That would have been good enough for fifth last year.

Dare to dream.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Leeds Utd v Man City - MATCH THREAD - Roberts & Alioski start, Llorente makes the bench

Post by YorkshireSquare »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm I thought that immediately. Not sure why Cooper tapped it instead of putting his boot through it. It was on his right foot but I think it was part of our problems as a whole in the 1st half. We did a bad job of playing out from the back. 2nd half, Poveda gave us that outlet.

Poor passage of play from us, first phase was bad, second phase was worse
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Delighted with that, we were magnificent. Fully deserved the point. Given the huge prices tags between the two sides, they didn't look to be any difference between the two. So disappointing the goal came from two errors, rather than a bit of brilliance. Rodrigo, Ayling, Koch, Poveda all class. To say we've played Liverpool and Man City and still have a positive goal difference is some going.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Wow. What a game. We've gone toe to toe with the best two teams in the country, At times we looked like grabbing a win against both. Struggled at the back against City's press and the constant threat of Sterling and De Bruyne, but seriously, who wouldn't.

On the plusses thought we stuck to the task as a team really well. Roberts played well, all credit to him. Rodrigo was different class when he came on. Poveda was great.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

First 20 we were nervous, but after that we grew into the game and were the better side until about 10 mins left. They brought on Ake and Fernandinho and we brought on Davis, yet we still got something out the game.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:45 pm Poor passage of play from us, first phase was bad, second phase was worse
Assume you're talking about Meslier's first clearance because I thought that too. Too often he wants to chip the ball. I know its our philosophy and I agree with it. But sometimes you've just got to give it a boot to relieve a little pressure and regain shape. Watch Edison at the other end - he oomphs it occasionally.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Wow, what a game. Really happy with the draw, and perhaps had it not been so wet and miserable, Bamford would have scored at the end All the players looked tired out by then, so energy sapping was the rain. I think we still need to believe in ourselves more. In the championship, we knew we were the best. In the Prem, I think they don't know how good they can be, which is why I think in the first 20 mins, we were too afraid to push out. We were awestruck.
Last edited by DavidH on Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:47 pm First 20 we were nervous, but after that we grew into the game and were the better side until about 10 mins left. They brought on Ake and Fernandinho and we brought on Davis, yet we still got something out the game.
Shame for Davis. I think he thought he'd add something extra putting Dallas in midfield and allowing Davis to scare them with pace down the left. It didn't work and City were dominant for the last 10.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Didn't think they were that good considering how much they cost. Sterling and De Bryune aside, they didn't look much better than us.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DavidH wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:51 pm Wow, what a game. Really happy with the draw, and perhaps had it not been so wet and miserable, Bamford would have scored at rthe end All the players looked tired out by then, so energy sapping was the rain. I think we still need to believe in ourselves more. In the championship, we knew we were the best. In the Prem, I think they don't know how good they can be, which is why I think the first 20 mins we were too afraid to push out.
I know my non-Leeds mates are enjoying watching Leeds games, the neutrals love us!

We now have two weeks break to get our breath back although several of our players shall be enjoying a holiday during their international break :lol:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Disappointed.
Disappointed we didn't win !!! That says a lot about our team. We had the chances to bury the 2nd best team in the country and even gave them a goal start.
The lads should be proud of themselves...I know I am .Onwards & upwards !!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Great team effort, it was looking ominous in the first 20. If we can get another piece to the jigsaw, particularly in the middle of the park.

Good to see Brighton get stuffed.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Seen a great comment on BBC football (well I though=t so anyway ;-))

City spend more on their defence than most countries
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Very proud.

Deserved that point, stats dont tell the whole story this time, Ederson made more good saves than Meslier.

Nobody to criticise.

Rodrigo and Poveda did superbly.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:23 pm Would've been happy with our performance even had we conceded in those last minutes. With a draw, I'm over the bloody moon.

Couldn't take your eyes off it, commentators swooning. Leeds are football.
I said the same to Mrs 64

Exhilarating game, full of heart & passion mate.

I reckon most Sky footy fans will have switched the Newcastle v Burnley game off after watching that :)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I think one interesting note about Bielsa's tactics is the way he defends by putting the opposition (a powerhouse opposition) on the back foot. We struggled with their press in the 1st half. He puts on Poveda and it forces them to drop their press. Fantastic