The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 17th September) - Wilks rips Leeds apart & Phil Hay gives full transfer update

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 17th September) - Wilks rips Leeds apart & Phil Hay gives full transfer update

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kiko as Captain: Fine with it on age and experience. He actually had a a decent game. Looks like he's staying. If the racism stuff had credibility, Bielsa would have shipped him out quicker than Jansson. We're not singing another keeper. We didn't have any interest in Martinez. Meslier is our number 1. Kiko is a good number 2. I'll support them both.

Caraboa Cup: Much said in other threads. Most players last night were rusty. No preseason. No U-23 games. Sould have done better, disappointed not to get a cup run. But it's not too much to get concerned about.

Our Youth:
Give them time. We played U-16s in the EFL. We held back a few U-23s against Stoke and we actually played well in that game. Severalof our 23s (Shackleton, Strujik, Meslier) have already moved up. Many more (Davis, Bogusz, Gotts, Poveda) have shown they can move up and do a job if needed

Transfers: I'd be happy if we didn't make another signing. Especially at the prices being talked about. We have a squad that's more than good enough to reach this seasons objectives. If we sign quality players at decent prices, I'll be thrilled. But totally happy with what we have
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 17th September) - Wilks rips Leeds apart & Phil Hay gives full transfer update

Post by Irish Ian »

One issue surrounding the Casilla issue is worth noting.

Whatever you think of the conclusion of the panel ( and you can argue until you are blue in the face about probability, beyond reasonable doubt, or any other criteria you want)
Roberts, Poveda, Phillips, White and a few other Leeds players went off on holiday with Johnathan Leko this summer.
They are all mates you can be sure if they thought Leko had made the whole thing up to get a ban for Casilla and cause problems for Leeds you would wonder why they would have wanted to pursue such a friendship with Leko.

Unless of course they believed him.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Wasn't able to see last night's game in the US, so I can't comment.

Haven't seen much of either Wilson or Kent, but I want the guy Bielsa wants.

Making Casilla captain tells me Bielsa is satisfied that Casilla is, as we say in the US, a stand-up guy. If he doesn't have any problems with his teammates - who come from very different backgrounds - then I don't either.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:20 pm One issue surrounding the Casilla issue is worth noting.

Whatever you think of the conclusion of the panel ( and you can argue until you are blue in the face about probability, beyond reasonable doubt, or any other criteria you want)
Roberts, Poveda, Phillips, White and a few other Leeds players went off on holiday with Johnathan Leko this summer.
They are all mates you can be sure if they thought Leko had made the whole thing up to get a ban for Casilla and cause problems for Leeds you would wonder why they would have wanted to pursue such a friendship with Leko.

A fair point, or maybe they didn't see fit to stick their oars into a very sensitive situation. We'll probably never know the full truth, and that's why I'd never stake a man's livelihood and reputation on uncertainty. Everyone's moved on, it's time we should too.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:58 pm Kiko as Captain: Fine with it on age and experience. He actually had a a decent game. Looks like he's staying. If the racism stuff had credibility, Bielsa would have shipped him out quicker than Jansson. We're not singing another keeper. We didn't have any interest in Martinez. Meslier is our number 1. Kiko is a good number 2. I'll support them both.

Caraboa Cup: Much said in other threads. Most players last night were rusty. No preseason. No U-23 games. Sould have done better, disappointed not to get a cup run. But it's not too much to get concerned about.

Our Youth:
Give them time. We played U-16s in the EFL. We held back a few U-23s against Stoke and we actually played well in that game. Severalof our 23s (Shackleton, Strujik, Meslier) have already moved up. Many more (Davis, Bogusz, Gotts, Poveda) have shown they can move up and do a job if needed

Transfers: I'd be happy if we didn't make another signing. Especially at the prices being talked about. We have a squad that's more than good enough to reach this seasons objectives. If we sign quality players at decent prices, I'll be thrilled. But totally happy with what we have
Fantastic point you made regarding Struijik. Obviously the only reason he played on Saturday was because Cooper was injured. After the game Bielsa was raving about Struijik and surprised how good he was (is). He now has an opportunity, but how many of our youngster have missed an opportunity?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wilks

I liked Wilks tbh from what id seen of him during his loan spells away, id have kept him. He bullied our cbs last night really was man vs boys.

De Paul/ Gvardiol

De Paul wants to come, we need him, get it done. Gvardiol we need him to on last nights evidence, we are still one cb or one dm short so if possible get that done to.

Wilson/Kent

I'm in the Kent club of the two, if MB wants Kent we get Kent same as when MB wanted Kent last summer and we got Eddie then JKA. Bielsa's judgement over Orta imo but neither of them before De Paul. Only if we have exhausted all De Paul level players do we go for either of those 2. Personally id still really like Buendia.

Kiko.

I dont believe he is a racist, he served his ban and thats an end of it. I would rather a better number 1 than Meslier and Kiko however and am disappointed we dont seem to be trying to get one.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:26 pm Fantastic point you made regarding Struijik. Obviously the only reason he played on Saturday was because Cooper was injured. After the game Bielsa was raving about Struijik and surprised how good he was (is). He now has an opportunity, but how many of our youngster have missed an opportunity?
It's such a complex thing EB, I think we as fans can forget that at times. We've got so many promising young players but realistically how many of them have what it takes to break into the first team, let alone stay there? It's going to be a tiny number of the faces we've seen. Even then, out of those, how many have that mental drive and determination, the ambition to really become Bielsa products? That's going to whittle the number down even further.

We love Shacks for example, but he's not immune to doubt, shifts in attitudes or mindsets. If he lets up at this stage, he will be superseded. It's got to be such an unimaginably huge pressure for a young man to take on.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:43 am I wouldn't mind Wilson. His dead ball skills are exceptional, something we lack, and I expect Bielsa world get more out of his general game. He seems like a hard worker, so should continue to improve.
Neither would I and he's clearly Premier class..
This is Tinker and my name is er...Spengford Bloke, some kind of robber or ne'er do well
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:20 pm One issue surrounding the Casilla issue is worth noting.

Is that info for real. If so, I find it really interesting. Tbh I'm surprised they went on holiday with him whether it's true or not. That they did shows they support him. And that makes it interesting that Bielsa said he asked the players before appointing Kiko as captain. Roberts was a senior starter, Phillips was on the bench.

Before I read that, my whole assumption was that the players and Bielsa didn't believe it. If they did, I would have thought Kiko would have been out quicker than Jansson. That being the case, I'm still skeptical.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 pm We've got so many promising young players but realistically how many of them have what it takes to break into the first team, let alone stay there? It's going to be a tiny number of the faces we've seen. Even then, out of those, how many have that mental drive and determination, the ambition to really become Bielsa products? That's going to whittle the number down even further.

We love Shacks for example, but he's not immune to doubt, shifts in attitudes or mindsets. If he lets up at this stage, he will be superseded. It's got to be such an unimaginably huge pressure for a young man to take on.
I disagree. We are seeing numbers coming into the 1st team. Sahckleton is here to stay. Strujik and Meslier were young signings. We've got at least 5 more behind them that I have no doubts about (could be several more). Just give them time.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm I disagree. We are seeing numbers coming into the 1st team. Sahckleton is here to stay. Strujik and Meslier were young signings. We've got at least 5 more behind them that I have no doubts about (could be several more). Just give them time.
I do hope so mate, it's definitely cheaper than buying talent for ungodly sums in the modern game. But now, at this stage, they have to be Premier League quality. The stakes are much higher and they have to prove themselves worthy of keeping places next to players worth tens of millions of pounds.

Not saying they can't do it, just saying that it's a massive pressure and we have to be prepared for more situations like Jack Clarke along the way.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 pm I do hope so mate, it's definitely cheaper than buying talent for ungodly sums in the modern game. But now, at this stage, they have to be Premier League quality. The stakes are much higher and they have to prove themselves worthy of keeping places next to players worth tens of millions of pounds.

Not saying they can't do it, just saying that it's a massive pressure and we have to be prepared for more situations like Jack Clarke along the way.
Since our objective is just for survival this year, I'm all for filling the U-23's and building for the future.

I forgot about Jack Clarke. Way to burst my bubble
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:35 pm I do hope so mate, it's definitely cheaper than buying talent for ungodly sums in the modern game. But now, at this stage, they have to be Premier League quality. The stakes are much higher and they have to prove themselves worthy of keeping places next to players worth tens of millions of pounds.

Define premier league quality. To be able to live with the Liverpool's and City's or be able to perform against the lesser talents of Burnley/Palace/Villa and Fulham?

I think a lot of our kids could show up against the bottom half quite happily.
This is Tinker and my name is er...Spengford Bloke, some kind of robber or ne'er do well
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 pm Is that info for real. If so, I find it really interesting. Tbh I'm surprised they went on holiday with him whether it's true or not. That they did shows they support him. And that makes it interesting that Bielsa said he asked the players before appointing Kiko as captain. Roberts was a senior starter, Phillips was on the bench.

Before I read that, my whole assumption was that the players and Bielsa didn't believe it. If they did, I would have thought Kiko would have been out quicker than Jansson. That being the case, I'm still skeptical.

https://motleedsnews.com/news/leko-one- ... promotion/
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 pm Define premier league quality. To be able to live with the Liverpool's and City's or be able to perform against the lesser talents of Burnley/Palace/Villa and Fulham?

I think a lot of our kids could show up against the bottom half quite happily.
I completely agree. I've been saying myself all along we're not out to wrestle with the big boys this season and it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise. But if/when we do survive, more signings will be made, more quality brought in - and more quality kids like this Summerville lad - and it will get harder for them.

Absolutely none of this is a bad thing, mind.