Liverpool v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD - Cooper out, Struijk starts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Manager
Manager

Re: Liverpool v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD - Cooper out, Struijk starts

Post by SG90 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm It looks like Bielsa really wants him though, and I’d be happy with a bit more depth at the back.

It might not be long before Cooper covers Struijk either - Liam might become the fall-back for both positions.
That's what I was thinking.
I promise to be positive only for 20/21 :)
Scoobychief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Scoobychief »

i appologise for my earlier comment guys i am so angry with this result i had us losing 4-0 but we performed way above my expectation, and i dont think we deserved to have lost his game in the end i feel like swearing, but so angry. i just hope we wallop fulham and get our first 3 points
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:42 pm i appologise for my earlier comment guys i am so angry with this result i had us losing 4-0 but we performed way above my expectation, and i dont think we deserved to have lost his game in the end i feel like swearing, but so angry. i just hope we wallop fulham and get our first 3 points
Scooby, if our players are as passionate as you we should do.

Keep her lit.
Scoobychief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Scoobychief »

wow i would give everyone an 8 they all played so well. KOCH will be worth double the price next year. blaming noone, although what i thought and saw of rodrigo he is not bielsa ready yet. so bamford (i can't beleive i'm saying this) is the better option. we so need another hernandez please buy a creative midfield player before the end of the window closes
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We could be ultra critical, pick holes, but not going to do that

Struijk and Koch probably only said hello for the first time a few days ago, a real baptism of fire for both and at the end of the day set pieces are our weakness and we all knew that.

We scored 3 against the league champions and they needed 2 pens to get the win, one of which was very questionable.

Yes we looked a bit open at times but Liverpool will have easier games 99% of the time.

Proud tonight, we played to win, we showed no fear against Liverpool and we will get better as the season goes on.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm I think it just comes down to the system, creating movement and space. That was the difference between Bamford and why Rodrigo barely got a touch. Don't get me wrong, Rodrigo is class and will have a great role to play. But I think he's a a few games away from taking Bamford's spot
For sure, and I must admit, I feel a bit more reassured with Paddy up front till then.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I'd like to see Roberts as the 9 if Bamford comes off, for me the most natural striker we have. Rodrigo playing the 10 last 30 when Pablo tires if he tires till he's system ready..

Koch grew into the game if Coop is out for a while he's going to find it hard to displace the excellent Struijk

Now maybe players will look at that performance and want to come to ER now, maybe they were wondering if we'd survive until now.
Rod Stewart and Ron Wood look like somebody ordered the same rock star in two different colours.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Tottenham wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 pm An 88th minute penalty for Liverpool. Quelle surprise.

Welcome to the Premier League.
What was your opinion of the game, Spuddy Buddy? :)
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

So proud of the team tonight. Fearless, and relentless despite the opposition and the lack of preparation.

I've come to expect us to win every game under Bielsa, and that hasn't changed with promotion.
Came in from the side door smelling of petrol...
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

On a positive note, we won't be bottom 3 at the end of this weekend. 8-)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Very proud of my team tonight, unlucky to walk away with nothing apart from our pride as we deserved at least a point
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

I don't see how anyone can blame Koch today. It wasn't even a penalty and the second goal he was fouled by Mane. They tried it again in the second half, but the ref spotted it the second time.
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

Can see Cooper struggling to get back in by the time he returns. Struijk keeps getting better.
Boo Radley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Have to say I am incredibly proud of our performance today. I wanted a performance because that’s what we had control of, but to see us rattle the Premier League champions to such an extent was a real thrill. I really thought we were going away with a point at least so that was disappointing.

To think that we lined out with two new very young CB’s and an U21 keeper and still were within 7 minutes of a serious result is a credit to all involved in this team.

I thought Ayling was outstanding from the off. He held us together when our heads slipped early on and he still won frees from his falling over routine! Struijk is going to be something special. He really grew into it, and would have had that ball covered for the last penalty. There is a reason why the best of young talent all over Europe are joining Leeds United.

As an aside, I could stand to be corrected in this, but I think that the first free kick for a personal foul was in the 31st minute. It says a lot about the spirit of the game. We have won a serious level of support from neutral football fans off the back of this game. Well done to all involved - now drive on and start collecting the points we deserve!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm Can see Cooper struggling to get back in by the time he returns. Struijk keeps getting better.
Ya and he’ll only get better and better, so much thrown at him today and he stood up, has a presence in the box too, which should help at set pieces
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Also thought the game was played in a good spirit. Nice not to see the time wasting and feigned injuries we've been used to witnessing in the championship.
Came in from the side door smelling of petrol...
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 pm Also thought the game was played in a good spirit. Nice not to see the time wasting and feigned injuries we've been used to witnessing in the championship.
Indeed, two quality attacking teams, two heavyweight brawlers exchanging blows for 90 mins. No quarter asked, none given. A completely different experience to the last 16 years.

Loved Klopp's reaction to Klich's goal ("Wow...").
Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Great performance by the team, was much better than I feared.

Sadly we’re going to have to get used to decisions going against us like they did today. The ref could and should have looked at VAR for the first goal (penalty). We won’t be alone, if you’re playing one of the so called big six they’ll always go against you.

We only conceded from dead ball situations today, sadly it’s still a weakness and I expect other teams to try and exploit that further.
Last edited by Richard on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Very proud of our baptism of fire today.

Maybe not as convinced by some of our players as some are but overall we sent out a message to the rest of the league that we are back. It won't be the only proud defeat this season but if we can replicate that level of commitment over the next 5 months survival will be not a worry.

On Sky Souness was asking about the size of our squad because he didn't believe we could keep up that intensity all season. Only for the camera to catch Jimmy Floyd to grin knowingly...

That said two signings needed Imo.
CB to rotate and someone to replace Roberts who I don't feel will cut it at this level. Or Rodrigo No2 who would be handy.

As I write Fulham succumb without a wimper to Arsenal on the Beeb. What a contrast..

We are BACK
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:02 pm On Sky Souness was asking about the size of our squad because he didn't believe we could keep up that intensity all season. Only for the camera to catch Jimmy Floyd to grin knowingly...

I think it's different in some ways, the pace today was a step up, as it was in the second half against Arsenal back in January. That said, we won't be playing teams like that every week and the schedule is much less strenuous. Injures, as with the season before last, could be an issue. Cooper out today and we are struggling, lose Klich or Phillips for any period of time and we're in trouble.