The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 4th September) Leeds target Watkins after Brewster snub

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 4th September) Leeds target Watkins after Brewster snub

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 4th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Klopp - Brewster will not be sold this transfer window

Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp has told leeds that Rhian Brewster will not be sold during this transfer window. The news come as Leeds were about to launch an audacious bid to bring the talented 20 year old to Elland Road on a permanent deal. Unfortunately for the Whites, the England U21 International has impressed the Liverpool hierarchy that much, that they now have first team plans fore him.

Different media sources including Football Insider have identified four potential alternatives, all of which are apparently realistic targets. The favourite is Brentford striker Ollie Watkins. He scored 26 goals last term, and at 24 years of age, should only get better!

Chelsea reject Michy Batshuayi is also reportedly to be on the ER radar. His miserably spell at Stamford Bridge has seen the 26 year old being loaned out each season since his transfer in 2016.

With first team plans for Rhian Brewsters, striking partner Divock Origi should move down the pecking order. The 25 year old made 42 appearances for the Reds last term, mainly from the bench. He netted 5 times.

Bookies have placed Leeds as bookies' favourites to sign Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke. The former Liverpool and Aston Villa forward could be let go for around £7m.

Late Pre Season friendly organised for this weekend

Leeds will face Portuguese side Paços de Ferreira in a pre-season friendly at Thorp Arch on Saturday, according to Renasenca.

The Portuguese outlet reports that the friendly will be played behind-closed-doors at 1pm on Saturday.

The UK Government recently removed Portugal from its list of countries with travel restrictions, meaning teams from the two countries can now face each other.

Leeds Utd away top on sale NOW...

The Leeds Utd away jersey goes on sales from 9am this morning.

What do we think?

Concern growing over Bielsa's contract

With just over a week until the Premier League kicks off theoretically Leeds could find themselves Managerless! Marcelo Bielsa is out of contract. He and his team could walk out on Leeds any time he wanted!

Obviously having fought tooth and nail to get them to the promised land, that is not likely to happen. Even for somebody of Bielsa's pedigree, it must be an honour to manage in the Premiership.

The Whites have been negotiating with Bielsa and his legal team back in Argentina, and although close, there seems to be a couple of sticking points. Leeds want Bielsa to sigh a two year deal whilst the Argentine is instistant, twelve months at a time is plenty.

The West Yorkshire side have done everything that is expected of them. They continue to identify players on Bielsa's wish list, and bring them to Elland Road. Radrizzani has actually gone one step further. Di Paul was not even on Bielsa's wish list. Radrizzani targeted the Argentine International himself!

To be honest, I don't know how Bielsa will see that?

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 4th September) Leeds target Watkins after Brewster snub

Post by The Subhuman »

We're right to at least try to get two years. Probably worth trying but as long as we don't push it too far it's worth negotiating

The above interest in strikers means Du Paul is not coming? I know he's a ten but Rodrigo can play there and a new striker added?

Benteke not shown much over the last 3 seasons at Palace but not sure why..Would be #3/4 here I would have thought if we land Watkins or AN other
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 4th September) Leeds target Watkins after Brewster snub

Post by Byebyegeegee »

It’s like a merry-go-round 🎠, we’re back to where we started striker wise with Ollie Watkins. I agree faaip, I think that probably means we’ve missed out on De Paul.

If Bielsa only wants to sign for a year then that’s fine, we can’t afford to lose him altogether. If things go well this year🤞🏻 Then he’ll probably want to stay for another year anyway.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

With regards to the new away shirt I’ve said on another thread that, being a traditionalist, I would have preferred an all yellow away kit. But now, having had a proper look at it, I think it’s quite smart, I especially like the collar.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Think we will end up with Che Adams at 20M.

Re Bielsa and the contract. Having just finished the book he has a history of being a pain in the backside over contracts.
Marseille
Bilbao
Lyon and of course the Lazio fiasco.

Leeds have given him the keys to the drinks cabinet and in return it makes sense that he responds to that trust by committing and soon.

Looking forward to seeing some action this weekend.

That kit reminds me of our previous away kit when we won the league.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Guessing the away shirt going on sale at 9 was wide of the mark, I've checked all obvious places online and cant see anything.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Byebyegeegee wrote:With regards to the new away shirt I’ve said on another thread that, being a traditionalist, I would have preferred an all yellow away kit. But now, having had a proper look at it, I think it’s quite smart, I especially like the collar.
I think it's smart too. I can't decide whether to buy the home or away shirt but I'm swayed to go away.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

http://sportwitness.co.uk/leeds-uniteds ... ers-named/

It’s claimed that in contact with La Nación, Leeds United’s board dismissed rumours about the transfers of Juan Foyth, Lucas Martínez Quarta, Thiago Almada, Nicolás González and Pedro de la Vega.

They also claim Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul ‘wasn’t asked for by Bielsa’ and the rumours came from sources close to club president Andrea Radrizzani.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Not a fan of the new away kit at all...

It's just not Leeds and yes I know we played in similar before but didn't like that one either.

Yellow next time please.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

If true, I'm not particularly happy about the noises de Paul is making about preferring a move to Juventus over Leeds. If he isn't buying into the project at at this stage he isn't likely to when he arrives either I feel, and while we'd all like to see him here and committed, if he thinks he's too big for the club we should just move on.

If that happens I'd be happy to see us sign Watkins or Origi in that order, no thank you to Benteke.

Marcelo will sign, one year is fine - he hasn't committed to two previously and he's still here.

I like the new second shirt.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'd be happy with Watkins, thing MB could work wonders with him.

MB will sign, relax

Don't buy shirts, I'm too old, but I do like the new away strip.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

It's a merry-go-round on the transfer rumor mill. Too many "respected" journalists out there looking to catch everyone's attention. Even Phil Hay has been wrong a few times. He said Rodrigo was "just a rumor" a couple of days before he landed in Leeds for his medical.

Away kit looks nice. I'll take it. I've only bought away shirts for the past 10 years, since every one of my old white shirts has a coffee stain on it.

I can't see the hold up on Bielsa. Maybe he'd like a couple more transfers, but if we didn't sign anyone else, he couldn't be unhappy with what we've done. Probably unrealistic to expect 2 years. Bielsa's family is miles away, he's an intense manager prone to physical and mental exhaustion. I can see why he only wants to sign 1 year contracts then re-assess where he's at personally.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I like the shirt personally. That with a pair of Adidas Elland and your set. Even tho they are mixed colours. :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:18 pm I'd be happy with Watkins, thing MB could work wonders with him.

MB will sign, relax

Don't buy shirts, I'm too old, but I do like the new away strip.
Pretty much ditto all of that ...but don't forget stripes are thinning
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JackGiles
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by JackGiles »

What's happened to Benrahma, is he staying at Brentford. It would have been nice to sign Rakitic but it would be demoralising to see Benteke come to Leeds. The side of the barn needs to be bigger :o . What has happened the guys he signed last year. Watched Rodrigo last night v Germany, played well, kept on making space for himself, the downside was that he died off in the second half and he missed a few glorious chances. Koch came on late so we will wait and see.

Did you hear the sigh of relief from Manure when Messi said he was staying at Barca. Next season!!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

JackGiles wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:49 pm What's happened to Benrahma, is he staying at Brentford. It would have been nice to sign Rakitic but it would be demoralising to see Benteke come to Leeds. The side of the barn needs to be bigger :o . What has happened the guys he signed last year. Watched Rodrigo last night v Germany, played well, kept on making space for himself, the downside was that he died off in the second half and he missed a few glorious chances. Koch came on late so we will wait and see.

Did you hear the sigh of relief from Manure when Messi said he was staying at Barca. Next season!!
Still plenty of time for a Benrahma move with a month of the transfer window to go.

Welcome to MOT Jack :tup:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Jammy 07 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:25 am Not a fan of the new away kit at all...

It's just not Leeds and yes I know we played in similar before but didn't like that one either.

Yellow next time please.
Nor am I.
I don't like it at all.
Last edited by Chilli D on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Joshveer Shergill has not lived up to expectation. We signed him a couple of years ago from Walsall aged 16.

The young left back has joined National League club Solihull Moors

Solihull announced via their official website and official Twitter account on Friday that the 18-year-old has agreed a one-year contract to return to the West Midlands, two years after leaving Walsall to join Leeds.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Its about time to source an absolute gem from our academy, especially now we have Cat 1 status.