Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Fridge »

onemoreslogan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 pm He managed Argentina. He managed Chile. I think he is a people person and adaptable enough. What he won't do is suffer players who are lazy or entitled. He expects work and commitment and he rewards it with loyalty and minutes. I have no issue with that, in fact I applaud it.
Completely agree.

I heard a quote about Bielsa recently, I don’t remember it exactly but the gist of it was:

Bielsa does not need the money or praise that he gets from being a football manager. He manages because he loves football and enjoys it, and if he doesn’t enjoy it, he’ll leave the job.

We know he isn’t in football for the glory and the money, he lives a modest life and spends 100% of his free time on football, football and football. That’s exactly why he doesn’t suffer the big characters and will leave a club if he has a poor relationship with the owners or feels that promises aren’t being kept to.

On the topic of this thread, I was talking to a Liverpool-supporting friend of mine the other day. We both agreed that Klopp was the PL manager of the year. He asked me whether I would rather have Klopp or Bielsa at Leeds next season and he was shocked to hear me tell him that there is no manager in the world that I’d rather have at Leeds than Bielsa.

He might be unpredictable and he might not have won it all at the highest level, but he is ours. He is so unique and dedicated that I have no doubt he will be a legend in this city for the rest of time.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:27 pm PJ asked for extra time off preseason and the Villa incident. Izzy felt he was fit enough, Bielsa didn’t agree, Izzy felt as a PL player he should have been selected. Augustin was the same, he felt he should be included. Bielsa likes a small squad, he doesn’t handle ‘characters’. Ask every PL team who they would want Nketiah or Bamford

Bielsa has worked wonders with a certain type of player but if we want to be better than just making up the PL numbers we need better. Look at his age, look at his career and ask why never a Barcelona
Based on Bielsa's performance at Leeds, where they've allowed him to mold the team as he sees fit, I think the better question is to ask Barcelona why never a Bielsa?

He's done wonders with "a certain type of player" because "a certain type of player" is all that's available at the Championship level. In any event, I'm perfectly comfortable with a manager who wants only a certain type of player as it's important that the players fit the manager's system. I'm very much looking forward to see what Bielsa can do when that certain type of player is also of EPL quality.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm Based on Bielsa's performance at Leeds, where they've allowed him to mold the team as he sees fit, I think the better question is to ask Barcelona why never a Bielsa?

He's done wonders with "a certain type of player" because "a certain type of player" is all that's available at the Championship level. In any event, I'm perfectly comfortable with a manager who wants only a certain type of player as it's important that the players fit the manager's system. I'm very much looking forward to see what Bielsa can do when that certain type of player is also of EPL quality.
But we have one, maybe two PL quality players. I think many fans are expecting too much of him in the PL
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:27 pm PJ asked for extra time off preseason and the Villa incident. Izzy felt he was fit enough, Bielsa didn’t agree, Izzy felt as a PL player he should have been selected. Augustin was the same, he felt he should be included. Bielsa likes a small squad, he doesn’t handle ‘characters’. Ask every PL team who they would want Nketiah or Bamford

Bielsa has worked wonders with a certain type of player but if we want to be better than just making up the PL numbers we need better. Look at his age, look at his career and ask why never a Barcelona
A huge difference between not liking someone's 'character' and them not being fit enough for you. It is a must for Bielsa's system that you are fit enough to continually be able to run into positions non-stop. One player unable to do it and it doesn't work. It would be like me turning up at a hospital and asking if I could perform surgery on someone without having any training.

Bielsa has worked with some exceptionally talented footballers. He has also turned some players into exceptionally talented footballers. However all those players have one thing in common - they made sure they were fit enough for Bielsa.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Bielsa Wage offer

Post by Scoobychief »

whether true or not, but read somewhere today that bielsa has been offered 100k per week to remain as manager. wowsa 5.2m not a bad pension pot.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bielsa Wage offer

Post by weasel »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:03 am whether true or not, but read somewhere today that bielsa has been offered 100k per week to remain as manager. wowsa 5.2m not a bad pension pot.
With Bielsa he gets his wages but then pays for a lot of people from his own pocket. He has loads of analysts, scouts etc all over the world that are part of his set up.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Gave away his first seasons wage to Newalls as well!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:03 am whether true or not, but read somewhere today that bielsa has been offered 100k per week to remain as manager. wowsa 5.2m not a bad pension pot.
Seems good value to me, must have increased the value of the squad by 10x that minimum.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

There's an all the sweets you can eat clause in there too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

He can have whatever he wants for me. Blank check.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:00 pm There's an all the sweets you can eat clause in there too
:lol:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I’m prepared to chip in weekly if needed
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
hector

Post by hector »

Ratscoot wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:00 pm I’m prepared to chip in weekly if needed
I'm not......

The chunky bugger ain't gettin any of my sweetie stash :x :x

:)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm I'm not......

The chunky bugger ain't gettin any of my sweetie stash :x :x

:)
:lol:

You meanie
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Oh Bielsa!

Post by Irish Ian »

jambla wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:58 pm Biesla is absolutely inspiring and is leaving a legacy. When I read about his level of dedication and meticulous detail it inspires me.

Just found that someone has made an biography on Bielsa. Available in paperback or audio book

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Qualit ... 1595271325

I am going to start listening this evening :)
Started into this today. Really enjoyable insight. Signed up for Audible and selected this along with the Moscow White Leeds History as my two free downloads. Sorry Daniel ( not sure if he comes on here?)

Get then listened too inside 30 days then unsubscribe.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

Biesla is about to sign a contract to Leeds for one year. :)
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

Another one-year deal. I swear the man is always living on the edge...and bringing us along with him. When this happens it will be the most important signing we make in the preseason, but for the love of God get it done!
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

kindestcut wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pm Another one-year deal. I swear the man is always living on the edge...and bringing us along with him. When this happens it will be the most important signing we make in the preseason, but for the love of God get it done!
It is being signed tonight. :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

kindestcut wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:38 pm Another one-year deal. I swear the man is always living on the edge...and bringing us along with him. When this happens it will be the most important signing we make in the preseason, but for the love of God get it done!
With Bielsa though the length of contract is irrelevant. He will walk out after 1 day of a 5 year contract if he isn't happy with things. Likewise him being linked with other jobs hadn't worried me in the slightest as he doesn't seem bothered at all by the size of a club or the money being offered elsewhere. He is unique and we are lucky to have him.
kindestcut
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by kindestcut »

weasel wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:06 pm With Bielsa though the length of contract is irrelevant. He will walk out after 1 day of a 5 year contract if he isn't happy with things. Likewise him being linked with other jobs hadn't worried me in the slightest as he doesn't seem bothered at all by the size of a club or the money being offered elsewhere. He is unique and we are lucky to have him.
Good points all. And for my own mental health I'd like this sorted soon.