Welcome to the Last Ever Night of the Proms before the Age of Stupid re-purposes it forever

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Music Welcome to the Last Ever Night of the Proms before the Age of Stupid re-purposes it forever

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 10.09.19.png

The Notting Hill Carnival is a glorious celebration of the Caribbean heritage of generations of Londoners.

It’s one of the highlights of our cultural calendar, along with Wimbledon, Royal Ascot and the British Bog Snorkelling Championships.

So imagine if someone decided it was ‘hideously black’ and had to be shorn of its steel bands, dub DJs, jerk chicken stalls and colourful costumes, on the grounds that it not only excludes the majority white population but also all those more recent arrivals from Eastern Europe and elsewhere.

There would rightly be an outcry.

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 10.23.41.png

Same goes for the Highland Games. What if Wee Burney and her Toytown Tartanistas decreed that tossing the caber and wearing a kilt fell foul of their exciting new ‘hate crime’ laws?

After all, Scots were the enthusiastic footsoldiers of the Empire and played a leading role in colonisation and the slave trade, as anyone who has seen Carry On Up The Khyber will attest.

I wouldn’t want to be the hapless Holyrood bureaucrat who had to inform a giant Archie Duncan lookalike, with a telegraph pole under his arm and six bottles of Stoori Midori liqueur on board, that his Caledonian pursuit is now a criminal offence.

Of course, none of this is going to happen. The Notting Hill Carnival and Highland Games are not on the Woke Brigade’s hit list.

Sadly, the same can’t be said of the Last Night of the Proms, which is the latest harmless British Institution in the crosshairs.

The BBC has come under pressure to drop Rule, Britannia and Land Of Hope And Glory from the finale of the 2020 Promenade Concerts.

Dalia Stasevska, who has the honour of being this year’s Last Night conductor, is said to be keen to ‘modernise’ the repertoire.

Someone should explain to her in words of one syllable that it was the Royal Navy that ended the slave trade on the high seas.

Depressingly, the BBC lacked the backbone to resist this madness and has relegated Rule, Britannia to a bit part in the sea shanty medley.

Land Of Hope And Glory has been shunted back from its usual starring role. And both will be orchestral versions only — no ‘offensive’ lyrics.

Those entrusted with defending our heritage have proven especially spineless in the face of the Black Lives Matter onslaught.

Revisionism is the order of the day, as the Far-Left Year Zero crowd run rampant through our institutions, tearing down statues, renaming primary schools with even the most tenuous links to slavery, and ‘decolonising’ university curriculums.

The National Trust, which exists to protect and promote our history, now prefers to airbrush the past and replace real castles with bouncy castles and ancient tapestries with fatuous touch-screen ‘experiences’ tailored to the snowflake generation.

If this Covid insanity ever passes, next year’s Promenade Concerts will almost inevitably be ‘re-purposed’ for the Age of Stupid. They could call it the Last Ever Night of the Proms!The Notting Hill Carnival is a glorious celebration of the Caribbean heritage of generations of Londoners.

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 10.05.08.png
Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 10.05.08.png (410.36 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

Miss Stasevska, from Finland, is reported to believe that the absence of an audience is the ideal time to drag the Proms screaming and kicking into the Summer of Stupidity.

‘Dalia is a big supporter of Black Lives Matter and thinks this is the perfect moment to bring change,’ a BBC source said.

She apparently has the support of the South African soprano Golda Schultz, who has been invited to perform as a soloist on September 12.

If they don’t fancy the traditional Last Night line-up, they don’t have to take the gig.

There are plenty of other musicians who would be grateful for the work.

Surely their very selection is evidence of the inclusivity of the Proms, which has bent over backwards, forwards and sideways to showcase music from around the world.

Far from being a jingoistic celebration of Little Englander nationalism, the concerts have become the very model of modern diversity.

In recent years, the Union flag has been outnumbered on the Last Night by those ghastly blue and yellow EU numbers, handed out at the door by recalcitrant Remainers.

We’ve had to put up with ‘Refugees Welcome Here’ banners draped ostentatiously from hospitality boxes by self-obsessed show-offs, determined to signal their virtue while having no intention of inviting an asylum seeker into their own lovely homes.

Now we’re suffering a lecture about our wicked racist history from a 35-year-old from Finland, one of the whitest countries on Earth.

Typically, her objections are steeped in ignorance about Rule, Britannia ‘celebrating’ Britain’s role in the slave trade.
1964white

Re: Welcome to the Last Ever Night of the Proms before the Age of Stupid re-purposes it forever

Post by 1964white »

I don't always agree with Richard Littlejohn views however I do on this issue

How dare the BBC & some young bird from Finland demand to take our heritage/history away

The Last Night At The Proms is a national institution & I for one enjoy the event
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Welcome to the Last Ever Night of the Proms before the Age of Stupid re-purposes it forever

Post by The Subhuman »

Rule Brittania was really a war song designed to lift morale at a time when it looked like the French maybe an issue and of it's time, it's counterpart would be White Cliffs of Dover from the second world war.

La Marseilles is another
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 am

I don't always agree with Richard Littlejohn views however I do on this issue

How dare the BBC & some young bird from Finland demand to take our heritage/history away

The Last Night At The Proms is a national institution & I for one enjoy the event
A classic bit of heritage and history indeed Leon. I agree with you 100% that this is a great British tradition which should be peopled by committed British supporters, not foreign usurpers with a very fetid axe to grind, the arrogant b*stards.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:32 am
So do I, and I'm not even English. Great read though, loved the Still Game reference. :-D
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Fantastic post '64 your words were compelling... sadly political correctness now runs rampant, ... for a number of years after landing in Canada , "she who must be obeyed" and myself used to host a Last Night at the Proms evening, yes many ex pats, but it was amazing how many Canadian friends after hearing about it wanted to come it got so we had to limit invites and and rotate people each year... I have despaired now for many years about how apologetic so many have become because of our white anglo-saxon heritage... Poeple need to let the past go, after all you can only apologise so much, but then of course they would have to find some other attention seeking way of being noticed. Very very sad to treat a national tradition this way.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Decent folk of this country are been called out as racist by liberal fascists for enjoying a bit of a sing song once a year, i sometimes get the feeling I inhabit Nazi Germany rather than what is irrespective of a politics a modern, tolerant multicultural society - its bonkers, the majority in this country silenced and enslaved by political correctness and a supposed British broadcasting corporation desperate to kowtow to those who for some twisted reason hate this country and most of the people in it. They need to get a grip and stop gauging the mood of this nation from twitter.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

I can honestly say, I never really enjoyed watching it, call me a philistine! As a working class lad growing up in some impoverished areas, I couldn't really connect with it at all.

Preferred Vic and Bob.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:56 am So do I, and I'm not even English. Great read though, loved the Still Game reference. :-D
I despair our country is going to the dogs due to all the do gooders

You're a Irish lad aren't you Dave ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:36 pm I can honestly say, I never really enjoyed watching it, call me a philistine! As a working class lad growing up in some impoverished areas, I couldn't really connect with it at all.

Preferred Vic and Bob.
I was brought up in the back streets of Leeds, in fact we were relatively poor tbh.

I still enjoy the ceremony, I'm a traditionalist at heart
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:41 pm I was brought up in the back streets of Leeds, in fact we were relatively poor tbh.

I still enjoy the ceremony, I'm a traditionalist at heart
Same... Sheepscar area. Willmington Terrace how about you mate?... Us Loiners for the most part are traditionalists I find...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:47 pm Same... Sheepscar area. Willmington Terrace how about you mate?... Us Loiners for the most part are traditionalists I find...
Early years in Ashville Grove just off Cardigan Road, move to Salisbury Avenue in Armley as a 9yo

I suspect Armley is dog rough now
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It's a shame the same people outraged by slavery from 400 years ago, aren't outraged by modern slavery in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Mauritania. :roll:
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:37 pm I despair our country is going to the dogs due to all the do gooders

You're a Irish lad aren't you Dave ?
I am indeed 64.
hector

Post by hector »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 pm I am indeed 64.
Ere Dave,
if your name was Fergus, you could be named after the place, and the lovely song written by Bobby Sands....

:) :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SG90 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm It's a shame the same people outraged by slavery from 400 years ago, aren't outraged by modern slavery in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Mauritania. :roll:
Agreed SG and these 10 terrorist groups alone all based in Afrika (there are more, this is just the top 10!), using black children as soldiers/suicide bombers etc amongst killing and raping their own...

1. Boko Haram

2.Al-Itihaad Al-Islamiya

3.Abdullah Azzam Brigades

4.Ansar Dine

5.Ansaru

6.Al-Qaeda

7. Movement for Oneness and Jihad

8.Lord’s Resistance Army

9.Ansar al-Sharia

10.Al-Shabaab

Intelligence knew years ago that the big step would be through the Horns of Afrika, but yet here they are still flourishing untouched.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 pm I am indeed 64.
We have quite a few Irish lads on MOT Dave
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

hector wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:56 pm Ere Dave,
if your name was Fergus, you could be named after the place, and the lovely song written by Bobby Sands....

:) :)
I doubt young Bobby spent much time hanging about Carrickfergus Hector, to be honest.... :whistle:
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 pm We have quite a few Irish lads on MOT Dave
Spotted a couple already 64, good to see. :clap: :clap:
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

I realise it’s not very PC to say it, but I hate PC with a vengeance 😁