Your First Leeds Game

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: You First Leeds Game

Post by 1964white »

Tottenham wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm 11th Sep 1976

THFC 1 (C.Jones) LFC O

Crowd 34725.

Can't remember a thing about it.
Was that the season Spurs were relegated ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 pm So glad I got to my first game this year (Huddersfield). Not only the last game before the shutdown, but our last year in the Championship (hopefully).

Tickets are going to be a lot harder to come by for my second trip to ER.
And Ayling scored a beauty for you John

We may have bigger stadium by the time they allow crowds back at ER
Tottenham
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tottenham »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:35 pm Was that the season Spurs were relegated ?
That was the following season. 1977-78. Pretty much all of old school Spurs loved that Div 2 season. Wouldn't want to do it again though.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

0-1 at Portman Road in 77 was my official first game - Eddie with the winner which I saw very little of as it was at the other end and a bit of a scramble.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tottenham wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:58 pm That was the following season. 1977-78. Pretty much all of old school Spurs loved that Div 2 season. Wouldn't want to do it again though.
So you missed the great 60's/70's teams then?

Jennings, Blanchflower, Mackay, England, Mullery, Jones, Gilzean, Greaves, etc, all great players

I'll remember Jimmy Greaves scoring one his textbook goals rounding Sprake & slotting home at ER in the 60's, Jimmy was a fabulous player

My all-time favourite Leeds match was v Spurs in a 1972 FA Cup game at ER.

Awful picture btw

Tottenham
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tottenham »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm So you missed the great 60's/70's teams then?

Jennings, Blanchflower, Mackay, England, Mullery, Jones, Gilzean, Greaves, etc, all great players

I'll remember Jimmy Greaves scoring one his textbook goals rounding Sprake & slotting home at ER in the 60's, Jimmy was a fabulous player

Awful picture btw

I missed the great Spurs teams of the 60s but remember the early 70s sides.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 pm Did you think you were bad luck since your first game (72 FA Cup) was a huge upset?
I think you are thinking of '73 loss to Sunderland (after which I cried a lot). '72 we beat Arsenal.
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 pm So you missed the great 60's/70's teams then?

Awful picture btw

Jimmy lives in the next village to me down here in Essex. As does Nasser Hussein. Suzy Quatro is also just up the road. The one I’ve actually seen in the flesh is Nasser, in the local Maccy D.

Jimmy was a fantastic player. Sounds like he was a lovely guy too, though he had his troubles of course. Remarried a couple of years back to his ex-wife I believe.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Aussieleeds wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm I think you are thinking of '73 loss to Sunderland (after which I cried a lot). '72 we beat Arsenal.
Erm, yeah, of course. I was just trying to display my youth by intentionally getting that one wrong
Bally
First Team
First Team

First game you saw Leeds live

Post by Bally »

IMG_20210215_130129.jpg
IMG_20210215_130115.jpg
Two of my fav ever Leeds players played as well Eddie Gray and Dunn an Mckenzie
Bally
First Team
First Team

Re: First game you saw Leeds live

Post by Bally »

The the first ever visit to Elland Road and Lorimer was still in the Leeds line up
Attachments
IMG_20210215_133820.jpg
IMG_20210215_133830.jpg
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: First game you saw Leeds live

Post by Smudge3920 »

Home V Everton Mon 07April 1958, Won... 1 - 0

Scorer... Forest

Starting 11...
Wood, Dunn, Hair, Cush, Charlton, Kerfoot, Meek, Forrest, Baird, O'brien, Overfield Kerfoot (C)...

Manager...
Raich Carter
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Re: Your First Leeds Game

Post by 1964white »

I knew we'd had this topic up previously
bremnerboy28
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by bremnerboy28 »

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d31a54137 ... 1370397295
Sheff Utd v Leeds Feb 26 1966 Score 1-1
This was also the same day I started following Leeds as a young lad. I was fascinated by Real Madrid as a kid seeing them on tv in the European Cup with Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento etc in their famous all white kit which was totally different at the time from the usual stripes on shorts and hooped socks etc they just looked magical. Still follow them to this day and went to watch them a few years ago when Ronaldo and Bale were there, fantastic ground if you haven't been and well worth a trip. Then watching Leeds live at Sheff Utd live for first time in all white just seemed to flick a switch and I was hooked and now eventually a season ticket holder. My Uncle at the time used to take me to all our local grounds on match special bus which ran from our village every Saturday to Forest, Sheff Weds and Sheff Utd plus we also followed our local team Mansfield Town in the then 4th Division. I remember Sheff Utd's ground being the worst as it had the cricket pitch at the side of the football pitch before it was redeveloped and the atmosphere was strange to say the least. I can remember taking a wooden rattle to matches in those days as did most kids, they used to make a right racket, anybody remember having one ? Anyway game finished 1-1, don't remember too much about it apart from a Lorimer free kick damaging their keeper's fingers and Alan Woodward their winger had to go in goal ( no subs in those days ) and he played absolutely brilliant and kept it at 1-1. I seem to remember us missing a penalty but i'm not 100% on that. Oh and Mick Jones scored for Sheff Utd. I think we bought him year after, great player.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

bremnerboy28 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:44 am http://www.imagebam.com/image/d31a54137 ... 1370397295
Sheff Utd v Leeds Feb 26 1966 Score 1-1
This was also the same day I started following Leeds as a young lad. I was fascinated by Real Madrid as a kid seeing them on tv in the European Cup with Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento etc in their famous all white kit which was totally different at the time from the usual stripes on shorts and hooped socks etc they just looked magical. Still follow them to this day and went to watch them a few years ago when Ronaldo and Bale were there, fantastic ground if you haven't been and well worth a trip. Then watching Leeds live at Sheff Utd live for first time in all white just seemed to flick a switch and I was hooked and now eventually a season ticket holder. My Uncle at the time used to take me to all our local grounds on match special bus which ran from our village every Saturday to Forest, Sheff Weds and Sheff Utd plus we also followed our local team Mansfield Town in the then 4th Division. I remember Sheff Utd's ground being the worst as it had the cricket pitch at the side of the football pitch before it was redeveloped and the atmosphere was strange to say the least. I can remember taking a wooden rattle to matches in those days as did most kids, they used to make a right racket, anybody remember having one ? Anyway game finished 1-1, don't remember too much about it apart from a Lorimer free kick damaging their keeper's fingers and Alan Woodward their winger had to go in goal ( no subs in those days ) and he played absolutely brilliant and kept it at 1-1. I seem to remember us missing a penalty but i'm not 100% on that. Oh and Mick Jones scored for Sheff Utd. I think we bought him year after, great player.
I was at that game Bremnerboy & have similar memories

The three sided stand (Yorkshire CC use to play some of their matches there).
Alan Woodward, a excellent right-winger going in goal, we were right behind him in goal.
Mick Jones had a fantastic game, I was really happy when we signed Mick the following season.
Willie Bell scored a rare goal for LUFC.
I use to have a homemade wooden rattle made in woodwork classes at school.
I also remember me & our kid being chased out of the ground by half a dozen blunts lads, thank god we could run fast as we evaded them thankfully.

Great memories!