Derby County v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Derby County v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 »

Derby County v Leeds Utd

Sunday 19th July at 1.30pm | Pride Park

Shock defeats for both West Brom and Brentford over the weekend mean that Leeds United travel to Pride Park as Champions. Marcelo Bielsa’s players celebrated with the fans on Friday night, but they returned to training on Saturday morning (some with sore heads) and they will want to finish the season in style, especially against Derby. Their over exaggerated account of Spygate is still fresh in minds of minds of many Whites fans, as is the second leg of the play offs when individual errors caused a meltdown in the Leeds ranks.

Derby’s season is also effectively over after defeat to Cardiff means the play-off places are out of reach. But they still have pride to play for and will not want to be turned over by Marcelo Bielsa’s men at home. Prior to Leeds promotion, Rams Manager Phillip Cocu was quoted as saying…

We have some pride, we play a home game and try to win every game. It will not be an easy game, they have a lot to play for, and so we have to be ready. The mood is better. We needed a couple of days to straighten our backs (after the defeat by Cardiff) because the play-offs are out of reach for us. There was a big disappointment for everybody. Now we have started to focus on the game on Sunday.

Helder Costa joined Kalvin Phillips on the treatment table after a rib injury picked up during the Barnsley game, both will not feature for the remaining games against Derby or Charlton. With the pressure off Bielsa has rung the changes, making seven changes giving oportunities to some of the younger players. Kiko Casilla returns to the side for the first time since his ban with a back like featuring Douglas, White, Berardi, Struijk, Dallas in front of him. Alioski and Poveda take to the wings with Shackleton and Hernandez in the middle. Tyler Roberts will play up front in place of Patrick Bamford. The changes also brings to an end an incredible run of 92 starts in a row for Mateusz Klich.

There is some symmetry to our time out of the top flight and playing Derby County as @lufcstats has pointed out on Twitter. Today will be Leeds United's 417th and final away game as a Football League club since relegation on 3004. Our first game back in the Football League after relegation in 2004 was Derby at home, our last game in the Championship in 2007 was Derby away, and our first game back in 2010 was Derby home and Bielsa’s first away game was Derby away!

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Douglas, White, Berardi, Struijk, Dallas, Poveda, Shackleton, Alioski, Hernandez, Roberts

Subs: Miazek, Ayling, Cooper, Casey, Davis, Klich, Bogusz, Harrison, Bamford
BGwhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Derby County v Leeds Utd MATCH THREAD

Post by BGwhite »

We need to rub this in as much as possible tomorrow. Just gutted no fans will be there. I bet they're mighty relieved about that. Anyway we'll do it and be crowned champions !
Sore head, back to my pit.
Championys !!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

It'll be interesting to see if we play full Leeds or if there will be a bit of a hangover and job done atmosphere. I want the title so hope it's the former and played without the nerves and anxiety we sometimes show...

I hope we're 2 up at HT, get this likes of Poveda and Shack some game time, both of whom I'm hoping will be big for us next season..I wanna see some more Struijk

Meslier
Ayling
White
Cooper
Dallas
Struijk
Klich
Alioski (back on the right please)
Hernandez
Harrison
Bamford

Poveda, Shack on at HT, Roberts on for Bamford on 60...

Would be ideal for me
Rod Stewart and Ron Wood look like somebody ordered the same rock star in two different colours.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We have a title to win

We have 6 points left to play for to give us 93 in total which is higher then the average needed.

We can still get above 40 goal difference and realistically beat Wolves and Newcastle gd totals so lets do that!!!!

Plenty left to play for so this is still a vital game, lets finish the season the right way.
BGwhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:We have a title to win

We have 6 points left to play for to give us 93 in total which is higher then the average needed.

We can still get above 40 goal difference and realistically beat Wolves and Newcastle gd totals so lets do that!!!!

Plenty left to play for so this is still a vital game, lets finish the season the right way.
Agree cjay. We want to leave this season on a high.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but I would be very, very surprised if Bielsa accepted anything less than a full effort against the team who caused the fans of this club so much despair last season. I would also be surprised if the players themselves didn't want to take revenge.

With memories of the tears streaming down King Pablo's face fresh in my mind, I hope he makes it his single overriding aim to personally humiliate Derby and put them in their place. I foresee a magic show of the highest order.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Be nice to see how this side can play without tbe pressure of needing a result.

Free flowing sttacking football full of invention and flair I hope.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:52 pm Be nice to see how this side can play without tbe pressure of needing a result.

Free flowing sttacking football full of invention and flair I hope.
Sounds good to me.

Would love to see Struijk move in for KP with White moving back home. Would also like to see Tyler get some minutes in the striker's position, with significant time given to Shackleford, too.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Derby County v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD

Post by rab_rant »

Just read that Derby fans and all of the team are getting tattoos saying
"I could have been in the guard of honour when Leeds were promoted as champions"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We've won the league and now we get to play in Derby's Cup Final.
Senor El Weasel
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

This from Andrew Pinder on the Leeds United Americas facebook page:

Thursday: Good win

Friday: Promoted

Saturday: Champions

Sunday: Pre-season friendly against Championship Derby
Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 pm This from Andrew Pinder on the Leeds United Americas facebook page:

Love it.
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 pm This from Andrew Pinder on the Leeds United Americas facebook page:

Saturady: Champions

:-D Loving the Sunday One.

Not sure how you get motivated after today? I would just ask who wants the day off and then go from there.

Win lose or draw who gives a s**t. :P

We have got the Gold medal. We are the number 1. We are the best team in the championship. End of story, chapter and verse.

WE ARE LEEDS! :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:28 pm Not sure how you get motivated after today? I would just ask who wants the day off and then go from there.
I am sure there will be a lot of motivation for the players given how Derby celebrated last season. If I was a player and saw them celebrating like that and showing no class when you have just had your whole season flushed down the pan I would be absolutely desperate to give them a good hiding. There are ways to celebrate whilst also having a bit of respect to the team you have just beaten.
Senor El Weasel
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nice one John :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I want us to win every game

Tomorrow we have several good reasons to give the rams a good old spanking
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

weasel wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:05 pm I am sure there will be a lot of motivation for the players given how Derby celebrated last season. If I was a player and saw them celebrating like that and showing no class when you have just had your whole season flushed down the pan I would be absolutely desperate to give them a good hiding. There are ways to celebrate whilst also having a bit of respect to the team you have just beaten.
Different strokes. We have done our talking on the pitch.

I'm much more of a Bjorn Borg than a John Mcenroe these days. I would just shake their hands before the game, ask how much Rooney is earning? And say, whatever league you are in next year after the points deduction i wish you all the best. :angel:
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:36 pm I want us to win every game

Tomorrow we have several good reasons to give the rams a good old spanking
But if we lose i'm sure you will still enjoy your nightcap.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

I don't remember being this relaxed for a game before in my life.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Would be good to put in a decent performance and win the match. Always take the gloss of it for me if you lose your first match after being crowned champions.
Senor El Weasel