USA Fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: USA Fans

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:01 pm Balby and Palm Springs, very similar places ;-)
Living the dream. Except I can't just jump on a train to go to games any more
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Hello all!

Already introduced myself in the welcome forum but thought to poke my head through the door here and add another USA fan to the mix. I'm an ex-pat myself from Wakefield, but have been in USA for over 12 years and out of the UK over 16 years.

Miss being able to attend games as well, but do my best to fly the Leeds flag here to anyone who cares to listen.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:30 pm Hello all!

Already introduced myself in the welcome forum but thought to poke my head through the door here and add another USA fan to the mix. I'm an ex-pat myself from Wakefield, but have been in USA for over 12 years and out of the UK over 16 years.

Miss being able to attend games as well, but do my best to fly the Leeds flag here to anyone who cares to listen.
Welcome to MOT Lumi :tup:

Our very own Swannie (Whiteswan) is originally from Wakefield
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:36 pm Welcome to MOT Lumi :tup:

Our very own Swannie (Whiteswan) is originally from Wakefield
Thanks you for the welcome! I'm sure there's a few more Wakey lads in the woodwork having no real footy team belonging to the city. Can't say my love for Leeds extends to Rugby League, being a Trinity fan myself (for all my sins), but that's not why we're here anyhow.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:30 pm Hello all!

There's a pretty good following in the LA area. I'm not too far - over by Palm Springs
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 pm There's a pretty good following in the LA area. I'm not too far - over by Palm Springs
Indeed, I've even had compliments in Ralph's on my 99/00 blue away shirt. Also, I know that Yorkshire Square microbrewery over in Torrance is owned and operated by an ex-pat Yorkshireman and massive Leeds fan. Pre-Covid, he would open the tasting room early for Leeds games, but I never got the chance to get down there for one. Once we can get back to the old ways (hopefully), I will make a point of getting down there for a Saturday morning game where I'm sure some more ex-pats will turn up.

If you're ever over West LA and want to do a fans get together for a game, let me know! :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

andrewjohnsmith wrote:

I was always told that we were the biggest non-city in England and that we needed to have a cathedral. I never bothered to research, but that's my understanding.
Cathedral's automatic - that's 1 cast-iron reason for Wakefield to be a city (it's also West Yorkshire's Admin capital AND it fulfils the population requirement).

When you think about qualifications for being a city, owner of a Premier League Club (even historically) ought to be a good reason.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Lumiukko wrote:

Hello all!

Hi yourself. Me - born in Manygates (don't look for it now :lol: )

Grew up in Sharlston, moved to York in '67, London in 1981, US in 1996.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 pm Indeed, I've even had compliments in Ralph's on my 99/00 blue away shirt. Also, I know that Yorkshire Square microbrewery over in Torrance is owned and operated by an ex-pat Yorkshireman and massive Leeds fan. Pre-Covid, he would open the tasting room early for Leeds games, but I never got the chance to get down there for one. Once we can get back to the old ways (hopefully), I will make a point of getting down there for a Saturday morning game where I'm sure some more ex-pats will turn up.

If you're ever over West LA and want to do a fans get together for a game, let me know! :tup:
I will. Dont have any plans on heading that way anytime soon. Covid is a bit of a bummer on having a nice day out. But I'll drop a message when I do head over to watch a game.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 pm I will. Dont have any plans on heading that way anytime soon. Covid is a bit of a bummer on having a nice day out. But I'll drop a message when I do head over to watch a game.
Sounds good to me! And totally get you on the Covid front :tup:
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Norm wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 pm Hi yourself. Me - born in Manygates (don't look for it now :lol: )

Grew up in Sharlston, moved to York in '67, London in 1981, US in 1996.
I know Sharlston well, I spent my teenage years in Snydale (was born in Crigglestone; Manygates would've been the hospital I was delivered in but my mother opted to drop me at home).

Between UK and here, I lived in Helsinki, Finland for four years.

What part of SW Missouri are you in? I had a long-term girlfriend from Carthage. Spent a fair bit of time around the Joplin-Carthage-Springfield-Table-Rock Lake area
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:29 pm Nice to hear from our cousins on the other side of the pond.
Sure is..... :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:57 pm I know Sharlston well, I spent my teenage years in Snydale (was born in Crigglestone; Manygates would've been the hospital I was delivered in but my mother opted to drop me at home).

What part of SW Missouri are you in? I had a long-term girlfriend from Carthage. Spent a fair bit of time around the Joplin-Carthage-Springfield-Table-Rock Lake area
Hi Lumiukko, I am a Wakey lass so I know Sharlston and Crigg well. I was born in Walton Hall, now Waterton Country Park Hotel. I worked at the school dental clinic overseeing Sharlson and Crigg Schools. Depending on your age, you may well have been one of my patients... :lol: .... my folks live in Sandal. Always nice to meet another 'Wakey' :-D
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Lumiukko wrote:

I know Sharlston well, I spent my teenage years in Snydale (was born in Crigglestone; Manygates would've been the hospital I was delivered in but my mother opted to drop me at home).

Much smaller fry than that and 50 miles east, on Bull Shoals Lake - a little place of less than 300 residents by the name of Isabella, on (though mostly off) U.S. Hwy 160, as on the attached excerpt from G-Maps. It shouldn't even qualify as a village, having a US Post office, a launderette, no shops but, most importantly, a bar within the local VFW Post 5366.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Rough draft
Theodosia-Isabella.JPG
Theodosia-Isabella.JPG (25.4 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

The blue that you see in the above map is part of the largest man-made lake in the U.S., Bull Shoals Lake.
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 pm Depending on your age, you may well have been one of my patients... :lol: ....
Leave it out Duckie....

Queen Victoria was one of your patients, so you leave the newbies alone :P :P

:) :)
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 pm Hi Lumiukko, I am a Wakey lass so I know Sharlston and Crigg well. I was born in Walton Hall, now Waterton Country Park Hotel. I worked at the school dental clinic overseeing Sharlson and Crigg Schools. Depending on your age, you may well have been one of my patients... :lol: .... my folks live in Sandal. Always nice to meet another 'Wakey' :-D
Hi Whiteswan, I used to go fishing in the lakes over Waterton Park area, Wintersett, and the old Barnsley canal so am familiar with that part of 'Wakey'. I seem to remember any youth dentist trips being to the family dentist on Cross St. or on Normanton High St in later years.

It's always interesting when I come home to see how things change. Spent a lot of time 'home' during 2017 and 2018 when my father was terminally ill, and really got back into my old love of Leeds United during that time after being a huge fan in my younger days.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Norm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:07 am Much smaller fry than that and 50 miles east, on Bull Shoals Lake - a little place of less than 300 residents by the name of Isabella, on (though mostly off) U.S. Hwy 160, as on the attached excerpt from G-Maps. It shouldn't even qualify as a village, having a US Post office, a launderette, no shops but, most importantly, a bar within the local VFW Post 5366.
Hi Norm, looks an interesting little part of the world. Never got that far Southeast of Springfield in that part of Missouri, though I did once go to this great little place just North of Mansfield (east of Springfield) called Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company. They have loads of great rare and heirloom seeds and bagged myself some rare tomato and squash varieties for the garden. Well worth a visit if growing your own veg floats your boat.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 am Leave it out Duckie....

Queen Victoria was one of your patients, so you leave the newbies alone :P :P

:) :)
Oy you! Cheeky so and so :x only just seen this....

Qwhack :cricket:..... take that!