The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by Overman »

DavidH wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 am I would be really pleased to see De Paul in a Leeds shirt. I have to think though that we (the fans on here), are like kids in a sweet shop, having just been given our pocket money. I really do hope that with all these deals, we do not over-extend ourselves. Being a fan at the time of Ridsdale and O'Leary reminds me of the sweet shop opening, and then the crashing, crushing reality that followed for so many years.
I doubt very much that wil be the case. Those running the club have a bit more business acumen about them. At the end of the day, I feel life is about being courageous, and a little risk is not always a bad thing. 'Living safely can be dangerous'.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Overman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am I doubt very much that wil be the case. Those running the club have a bit more business acumen about them. At the end of the day, I feel life is about being courageous, and a little risk is not always a bad thing. 'Living safely can be dangerous'.
PL is a lot different since the last time we were there. Living safely won’t be enough, some risk is needed.

Hernandez will not be playing 90 mins every week, and the alternative in that position is Roberts who is not going to be good enough (unless you play Rodrigo at 10 and Bamford at 9 - again not good enough)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hernandez will want to play every game and if he can I think he's earned it. Rodrigo at 10 with Roberts at 9 would work. Roberts would bring Harrison and Costa into the game more too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Pykie wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:55 pm Make no mistake, De Paul would be our best signing in close to 20 years.
Absolutely.

Get pen to paper as quickly as possible, please. Bring Gvardiol in as well and I will be over the moon as far as this transfer season is concerned. I was already feeling good about it with Rodrigo, Koch, and the U23s.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

May as well buy quality, and gives the opportunity to compete. Good stuff been brought in so far, Another player with vision and able to open up defences a must imo.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:33 am May as well buy quality, and gives the opportunity to compete. Good stuff been brought in so far, Another player with vision and able to open up defences a must imo.
It's suddenly become like the game Football Manager right now . Rather enjoying it ( I still play the 2009 version ) .
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Pykie wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:55 pm Make no mistake, De Paul would be our best signing in close to 20 years.

He's good enough to start and run the midfield for Juve or Napoli, let alone a newly promoted PL side.

Most Juve, Napoli, Inter fans have been imploring their club to sign him this year, as he's close to the best #10 in the Serie A along with Luis Alberto. To put it in perspective, Juve fans on twitter would rather have De Paul than have Pogba back.

Smack bang entering his prime, plays in behind Messi and Dybala for Argentina and had the second most MOTM awards in the Serie A this season gone behind Cristiano Ronaldo.

He's an absolutely world class #10 and even a level above Rodrigo M. To say he would be a good replacement for Hernandez is just about the understatement of the century. He's good enough to start for any premier league side in the competition, including Man City, Liverpool and the scum.

In reality he's going to cost a few million more than what Benrahma would. There's no doubt we've completely binned the domestic market imo when we can get Rodrigo, Koch and De Paul for less than we would of got White, Watkins and Benraham for.

As for Gvardiol, he's considered close to the best u/21 prospect Croatia have and Bayern were in for him only 6 months ago. Cooper is 29 and suffered a decent injury in Bielsa's first year. 14m + add ons is reasonably steep for an 18 year old, however his highlight real is absolutely incredible for a kid that age.

The fact he's a left footed defender than can also play LB only makes him even more valuable. If there's any legs to this being a make up deal for Leipzig, then that would be an incredible deal with this kid on the end of it.

I think the 3rd CB has to be exactly this, a young promising kid that can effectively fill in across another part of the back line.

Ayling can fill in at CB, Gvardiol can fill in at LB and Koch has played about 40% of his games at CDM. So will be the second choice to Phillips in that role imo.

We are going to need a quality 3rd CB, as despite having a decent run with injuries this year, Bielsa's game style is still susceptible to injuries.

An injury to Phillips, Koch or Cooper is going to draw down on a 3rd CB. I think Struijk will be in our plans at CDM, but not as a CB at PL level unless absolutely necessary.

If we go in with Rodrigo De Paul in behind Rodrigo M, with the way Phillips and Klich press in CM, Hernandez still there as an impact player on the wing. Holy s**t, we should feel pretty comfortable about staying up, I'd be more inclined to think we are a top half side with those two leading the line.
I think this is a great summary of the quality of signings we are now looking at. De Paul looks outstanding and would be a handful for any Premier League team to contain.

Gvardiol is completely out if left side for all of us. But at 6’1” and strong with it, he is the archetypal Bielsa defender. Super control, great change of pace and direction for a big lad, great passer of the ball and great moving up the field at speed.

It’s all a bit surreal at the moment. If we land these two and a keeper I really think we’ll be in a great place for this season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If we bring in De Paul is that the end of Pablo bar a few ten minute cameos end of game? I'd hate to see the heroes of 19/20 cast aside and I doubt we'd bring in De Paul to sit on the bench for 30 mil plus.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 pm If we bring in De Paul is that the end of Pablo bar a few ten minute cameos end of game? I'd hate to see the heroes of 19/20 cast aside and I doubt we'd bring in De Paul to sit on the bench for 30 mil plus.
I'd imagine start with Costa, replace with Hernandez
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 pm If we bring in De Paul is that the end of Pablo bar a few ten minute cameos end of game? I'd hate to see the heroes of 19/20 cast aside and I doubt we'd bring in De Paul to sit on the bench for 30 mil plus.
We’re hardly casting aside last season’s heroes with the four or five signings we’re looking currently at. Koch replaces White, we haven’t had a 90 minute no.10 for quite a while, potential keeper for Casilla ( tarnished hero?) and a specialized left back possibly for Douglas.

Rodrigo may be the only one really pushing Costa out. Pablo will still play a bit part ( 15/20 minutes) at 10 but that’s all we can expect from him now at 35 in the Premier League. Still, his bit part will remain special and important to us.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Not trying to count chickens before they're hatched, but is there a scenario where de Paul and Pablo could be on the pitch at the same time?

That could be interesting.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:53 pm Not trying to count chickens before they're hatched, but is there a scenario where de Paul and Pablo could be on the pitch at the same time?

Don’t see them both starting unless one of Costa or Harrison is injured, in which case you could push one of them out wide. Don’t see Bielsa dropping Klich any time soon.

Pablo is the ultimate impact player :fire:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:53 pm Not trying to count chickens before they're hatched, but is there a scenario where de Paul and Pablo could be on the pitch at the same time?

Starting ? And with Klich/Philips playing ?

I guess we could start Pablo over Costa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

De Paul started out as a left winger so Harrison could be dropped for him (if he comes).

Costa could be and Harrison goes right.

I just hope that we dont see Poveda lose his 18 space.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

If Gvardiol comes in will that mean Dallas will be benched? Can't see where MB will play him if not at LB.

Keeper maybe?
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Thought Poveda looked the best winger other than Hernandez in the games he played. He could actually find a player with a pass.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

REPORT: DERBY COUNTY WANT AN INTERNATIONAL PLAYER FROM LEEDS UNITED

There has to be some casualties...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/31/r ... ds-united/
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:28 pm REPORT: DERBY COUNTY WANT AN INTERNATIONAL PLAYER FROM LEEDS UNITED

There has to be some casualties...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/31/r ... ds-united/
£30 million. 8-)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Derby have just scammed ffp rules to the tune of about £80m so yes, I reckon £30m would be well within their budget 😉.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

If we assume that MB is going to stick by the same squad principles as he always has then we are looking at a core group of 18 and then maybe 3 or 4 u23 players.

Goalies
Meslier
Casilla ( may he sold, would be replaced).

Defenders
Ayling- rb/cb
Dallas- rb/lb
Alioski - lb/lw/rw
Douglas (may he sold) - lb
Coops - cb
Koch
cb/dm
Struijk cb/dm
Plus 1 more.

Wingers
Costa - rw/lw
Harrison
- rw/lw
Poveda -rw/lw
Plus 1 more *

Dm/Cm/Am
Pablo -Am
Klich - cm
Phillips- dm/cb
Shacks -cm
Forshaw -cm/dm
Roberts- Am/st
Plus 1 more*

Strikers
Bamford-st
Rodrigo- st/am/rw/lw
Roberts Am/st

So we know the club want another 1st team winger/Am. Thats 1 spot in the 18.

We know that its possible that they are also after an extra cb/lb to replace Berardi. Thats 2 spots.

Ive put players in bold who are guaranteed imo to be part of the 18 then in italics the u23s.

Casilla and Douglas may leave.

Forshaw's fitness is unknown.

If we assume for now Douglas and Kiko stay and Forshaw is counted then i count 16 players plus the new Am/winger is 17 and then the new defender would be 18.

That would be usual for Bielsa's squad, 18 players plus the u23s, Shacks, Poveda, Struijk and Roberts.

That seem right?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom