The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am sorry, i think you are being terribly unfair to george graham, it was he who built the academy up. O'Leary just inherited the good fruit borne by Graham's efforts.

So, O'Leary had a ready made team of youngsters. It was only when he started buying new players that we started to slip. His first real test as a manager came when woodgate and boywer were in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

Rather than protect and support his players like any good manager would, he went and made a fortune out of it by writing a ****ing book!
Some of O'Leary's early signings were brilliant - Viduka, Bakke and Dacourt for example. Those 3 helped get us to a Champions League semi. It was later on when success went to Risdale's head that we started going crazy with poor and expensive signings - Fowler, Keane and Seth Johnson were all signings which we didn't really need, and couldn't afford.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Sounds like we've signed cody drameh from fulham. Young right back, looks decent tbh.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally not a huge fan of this stockpiling of u23s in the hope 1 makes it so we can flog them for a profit.

Individually they cost not to much but as a collective we have probably spent £10s of millions over all for very little return.

From a business perspective it makes sense, can make a lot of money from it but id rather we focused on the 1st team. We did the same in the Championship which was daft. For me we should be looking to establish ourselves in the Prem before trying to be Man City or Chelsea.

Gelhardt and the Fulham lad are probably £3-5mil in total contracts and fees etc. Maybe they make it maybe they dont but since we dont have tons of cash id rather not take that risk again yet especially given our lack of success.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm Personally not a huge fan of this stockpiling of u23s in the hope 1 makes it so we can flog them for a profit.

Individually they cost not to much but as a collective we have probably spent £10s of millions over all for very little return.

From a business perspective it makes sense, can make a lot of money from it but id rather we focused on the 1st team. We did the same in the Championship which was daft. For me we should be looking to establish ourselves in the Prem before trying to be Man City or Chelsea.

Gelhardt and the Fulham lad are probably £3-5mil in total contracts and fees etc. Maybe they make it maybe they dont but since we dont have tons of cash id rather not take that risk again yet especially given our lack of success.
I think the hope is that they'll be the next batch of Smith, Kewell, Harte, Woodgate, Robinson
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

dezzy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 am I’d say give the board a bit of credit and stop criticising everything
I'm not criticising everything. Imo if we're signing u23s, then it should be for the first team and not just to hoard loads and never play them. We're no better than Chelsea if it's the latter.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm I think the hope is that they'll be the next batch of Smith, Kewell, Harte, Woodgate, Robinson
Don't we have any in our own academy? That's a worry for me if the production line is dropping. Financially it was what saved the club and it's not like we're made of money.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm I think the hope is that they'll be the next batch of Smith, Kewell, Harte, Woodgate, Robinson
That would be a happy bonus imo but i think the primary motivation is business and finance related.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Harry Wilson back in the frame (remember MB was at Bournemouth vs Everton) not to many players that day he could be looking at.

£15mil bid going in apparently.

We know Bielsa is a fan.

Be a bit underwhelming imo, not a bad signing and done well for Bournemouth.

But its not one that makes people go "wow".
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:45 pm Harry Wilson back in the frame (remember MB was at Bournemouth vs Everton) not to many players that day he could be looking at.

£15mil bid going in apparently.

We know Bielsa is a fan.

Be a bit underwhelming imo, not a bad signing and done well for Bournemouth.

But its not one that makes people go "wow".
I really hope not! Firstly he's not good enough for the PL, secondly £15m is far too much and thirdly, he's one of the little bellends who smashed up our dressing room at Derby.
Last edited by SG90 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:03 am Some of O'Leary's early signings were brilliant - Viduka, Bakke and Dacourt for example. Those 3 helped get us to a Champions League semi. It was later on when success went to Risdale's head that we started going crazy with poor and expensive signings - Fowler, Keane and Seth Johnson were all signings which we didn't really need, and couldn't afford.
but I seem to recall that nobody complained at the time that we couldnt afford these players.

I knew Ridsdale personally in those days, and his biggest fault was that he was a fan of the club, desperately wanting success....O'Leary then says with just one or 2 more players we could become worldbeaters.....meanwhile the banks said yes....what Leeds fan would refuse the money?
At the time Van Nistleroy was available, but O'Leary thought he was too expensive so bought seth johnson et al instead, van nistleroy went to scum and the rest is history
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:42 pm but I seem to recall that nobody complained at the time that we couldnt afford these players.

I knew Ridsdale personally in those days, and his biggest fault was that he was a fan of the club, desperately wanting success....O'Leary then says with just one or 2 more players we could become worldbeaters.....meanwhile the banks said yes....what Leeds fan would refuse the money?
At the time Van Nistleroy was available, but O'Leary thought he was too expensive so bought seth johnson et al instead, van nistleroy went to scum and the rest is history
I remember at the time questioning why we were signing Fowler as we didn't need him and had just signed Keane for big money.

That was the final season (2001/2) that the transfer window closed in March. If it had closed in August and re-opened in January, then who knows if we would still have spent all that dosh. With Leeds, a lot of it seems to be about unlucky timing.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil and Graham both say MB wants 4 or 5 1st team signings.

He usnt going to change the squad of 18 rule (wish he would much prefer a 22 main squad) but he wont

4 or 5 so

Kiko out new goalie in
Ben White and Berardi so either 1 new cb plus White or two cbs.
Forshaw out new cm/dm in.
Am in
Striker

That seems logical with all the rumours but also seem to be getting linked to a ton of left backs which we need. So maybe Struijk becomes Bera's replacement especially if we get a new cm and that opens a slot at left back?

Personally think we need a Harrison upgrade to.

Thats more then 4 ot 5 i know but im hopeful :lol:
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Struijk probably better suited to being Forshaw's replacement.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Not bothered about Forshaw leaving. Spends more time being injured than playing. I'd much rather see Struijk given a chance instead.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wonder if maybe we need to prioritise full backs? Both sides.

City have spent an absolute fortune on full backs since Pep arrived. They are crucial to the style they play and us and if your fb isnt upto it, a real all rounder, then you pay the price (as City did in Pep's 1st season).

None of our full backs are all rounders, generally all better going forward and not great defensively.

Hadnt really considered full backs as absolutely urgent bur maybe they are.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm Struijk probably better suited to being Forshaw's replacement.
I agree but according to Graham and Phil we do seem to be looking at midfielders.

Swift, Longstaff etc
Signed

King Cjay

CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:42 pm but I seem to recall that nobody complained at the time that we couldnt afford these players.

Re Van Nistleroy - the fate of managers can rest on just those kind of decisions. Look at Wilko after winning the title - Alan Shearer was on the market and he ended up not playing for LUFC as 1st division champions. We ended up instead with Brian Deane....
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I was excited when we signed Robbie Keane, but after that it all seemed to be out of control. I believed that if the club were spending the money, they must have it. Risdale was the one who knew what the books looked like. He made a huge mistake.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:25 pm I was excited when we signed Robbie Keane, but after that it all seemed to be out of control. I believed that if the club were spending the money, they must have it. Risdale was the one who knew what the books looked like. He made a huge mistake.
it was a calculated risk to make Leeds worldbeaters.

O'Leary failed 2 years in a row to get us into the champions league, had he succeeded we would not have had a problem.

I recall it was our own Gary Macallister who sealed our fate. He had been transferred to Liverpool and they had to beat Everton to get into the cl, they were losing 3-2 with just a couple of minutes to go, got an equaliser, but that was ok, they were still behind us. Then deep into stoppage time got a free kick and of course Macallister fired it home, 4-3 to Liverpool and we missed out on cl by 1 point

edit: it was april 2001, slightly misremember, finished 3-2 with macallister scoring direct from a 45 yarder free kick in injury time after Liverpool had had a man sent off and everton got a last minute equaliser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofwFm7m2XM

liverpool finished on 69 points in 3rd, we finished 4th on 68 points....top 3 went onto the cl......but for that goal we would have been in cl and history would be rewritten
Last edited by Peter in Blackpool on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

SG90 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:30 pm I'm not criticising everything. Imo if we're signing u23s, then it should be for the first team and not just to hoard loads and never play them. We're no better than Chelsea if it's the latter.
The 23s are a vital part of any club. We’ve built it up from the ground over the past few seasons. We’re not anywhere near what Chelsea have done. All the young fellas linked are quality and essential. We will bring in 4/5 players for our first team. We’re back in the premiership for the first time in years I cannot see how you think they lack ambition, we’re in a great position and are building towards being a top club again
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..