Authors of Fiction

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Authors of Fiction

Post by Norm »

I'm not so widely read but thought I would start a thread on this to see who came to light.
Two of my favourites are John leCarre and Frederick Forsyth, both British and (leCarre especially) with a predilection for spy stories, Cold War and since. Other favourites have been Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy, both Americans who died several years ago aged a paltry 66 years of age. All four of these have written some great stories from which movies and/or TV series have been made.
I'll make a list of the books, motion pictures and TV series this quartet have engendered in a later post but I want to give others a chance to name their favourites before I bore you to death.

My latest personal 'discovery' is Lee Childs with his 'Jack Reacher' novels - I remember faaip mentioning him previously but anyway I've bought and read about 10 of his books, currently reading "Worth Dying For".

I really like this subject, having been an avid reader since I could read the simple stuff by the age of 4.
I remember having my tonsillectomy (also aged 4) and recovering with extremely soft foods, entertained by reading 'Rupert Bear' comics and books whilst trying to deal with the discomfort of swallowing said soft foods past raw healing tissue.

Thanks to those who read this.

Over to others
hector

Re: Authors of Fiction

Post by hector »

I am an avid reader of fiction

read all the Jack Reacher series
Bernard Cornwell - the last kingdom series
I am currently re-reading all the Sven Hassel books, I haven't read them since I was at school
Current author of reading for crime is Simon Kernick

I could go on and on, but will leave it there for now.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I enjoy reading crimes and thrillers and humour.

Anyone who has not read Douglas Adams should do so.

I enjoy the 'oldie' murder mysteries like Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh (though some of the characters irritate me) I enjoy the brain-solving crime rather than the action.

Add to that Colin Dexter, Ruth Rendell and many more.

I did enjoy Robert Ludlum though.

Sorry but I cannot stand the Jack Reacher character, I was hoping the bad guy would kill him off in the book that I read.

Can also recommend the Scandinavian crime writers.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'm a constant reader, but less and less fiction over recent years.

Currently reading Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall, now that the third one is out. Favourite fiction writers; Iris Murdoch, JM Coetzee, Stendhal, Dostoevsky, Flaubert, Waugh, the Brontes. For thrillers, John Sandford's Prey series, John Harvey's Resnick, Rankin.

Read a fair bit of poetry; Hughes, Heaney, Paul Muldoon, Michael Longley.

Non-fiction; RJ Stewart's Sphere Of Art on alchemy, Normandi Ellis, Waking Osiris, Noam Chomsky on why Peter in Blackpool has no concept of political reality, Roger Deakin's Waterlog on wild swimming.

About two bookcases of philosophy, mainly the existentialists and pre-Socratics; a wall of theology, mainly the hesychasts and Carmelites; another bookcase of comparative religion, politics, economics, mythology, music.

My house is too full of books. Want to buy some?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Big fan of Robert Goddard...In the UK he's generally very easy to find in charity shops.

Also a brilliant radio play (I love radio plays more than anything) of his Out Of The Blue featuring James Bolam as he only returning "hero" Harry Barnett.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Ken Bates.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

It’s a while since I read them but the James Clavell - Shogun series is a decent read. There is also another book of the actual events on which Shogun is based, can’t remember the name right now but that’s fascinating stuff......if that sort of thing floats your boat :)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Ian Banks, Ian McEwan

If you want some noir set in Leeds try Chris Nickson
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Fair few to investigate there - think I'll do some of that next.
hector

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 am I'm a constant reader, but less and less fiction over recent years.

Currently reading Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall, now that the third one is out. Favourite fiction writers; Iris Murdoch, JM Coetzee, Stendhal, Dostoevsky, Flaubert, Waugh, the Brontes. For thrillers, John Sandford's Prey series, John Harvey's Resnick, Rankin.

Read a fair bit of poetry; Hughes, Heaney, Paul Muldoon, Michael Longley.

Non-fiction; RJ Stewart's Sphere Of Art on alchemy, Normandi Ellis, Waking Osiris, Noam Chomsky on why Peter in Blackpool has no concept of political reality, Roger Deakin's Waterlog on wild swimming.

About two bookcases of philosophy, mainly the existentialists and pre-Socratics; a wall of theology, mainly the hesychasts and Carmelites; another bookcase of comparative religion, politics, economics, mythology, music.

My house is too full of books. Want to buy some?
aahhh Charlie Resnick..... read the majority of those too.... :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

i used to love James Hadley Chase. His skilfil way that manipulates you into feeling sorry for the baddies and really want them 'get away with it'
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Big fan of Robert Goddard...In the UK he's generally very easy to find in charity shops.

Also a brilliant radio play (I love radio plays more than anything) of his Out Of The Blue featuring James Bolam as he only returning "hero" Harry Barnett.
Grew up listening to radio plays and serials - didn't have a TV until about '59, but I still prefer radio programmes because I don't have to watch a screen - the imagination provides the view.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:53 pm Grew up listening to radio plays and serials - didn't have a TV until about '59, but I still prefer radio programmes because I don't have to watch a screen - the imagination provides the view.
exactly ...and you don't have to sit still glued to a TV screen.

Paul Temple
Lord Peter
Dick Barton
Max Carrados
Hitchhikers
Gideon Fell
Poirot
Marple
Tommy and Tuppence
Inspector Allen
Norman Conquest
Sherlock
Dan Dare
Rebus and Resnick a couple of more modern ones

To name but a few ...Wonderful, still played regularly
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm aahhh Charlie Resnick..... read the majority of those too.... :)
I used to covet his sandwiches.

Probably my favourite thriller is Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rogue Male is another very good radio play
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 pm Rogue Male is another very good radio play
Oh really, didn't know it had been done for radio. How did they convey days spent lying face down in a field of cabbages?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tbh, can't remember...not heard it in a few yrs. Just remember enjoying it at the time.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Alistair MacLean
Dick Francis
Ian Fleming

Right now I'm studying & updating key Flat races on the Racing Post site in the hope the sport of kings returns this summer :horse: :hors:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I have 800 books to read. Thought I would never get through them, but now is a good opportunity. Mostly thrillers. Recent ones I have finished - The Outsider by Stephen King. Excellent read and the Sky adaptation sticks to the story, as well as it can. It helps if you read the Mr Mercedes trilogy before The Outsider, as one of the main characters is in both. The Dark Yorkshire series by J M Dalgliesh - Murder / Mystery in North Yorkshire which makes York look like Midsummer. Currently on number 8 of 12 of the David Raker series by Tim Weaver - Raker finds missing persons, often at great cost to himself.

Agree on the Jack Reacher books - read them all. Also anything by David Baldacci, Jeffery Deaver or Harlan Coben to get my US fiction fix.
Last edited by Gandalf on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:20 am I have 800 books to read. Thought I would never get through them, but now is a good opportunity. Mostly thrillers. Recent ones I have finished - The Stranger by Stephen King. Excellent read and the Sky adaptation sticks to the story, as well as it can. It helps if you read the Mr Mercedes trilogy before The Stranger, as one of the main characters is in both. The Dark Yorkshire series by J M Dalgliesh - Murder / Mystery in North Yorkshire which makes York look like Midsummer. Currently on number 8 of 12 of the David Raker series by Tim Weaver - Raker finds missing persons, often at great cost to himself.

Agree on the Jack Reacher books - read them all. Also anything by David Baldacci, Jeffery Deaver or Harlan Coben to get my US fiction fix.
Have you tried the Robert Goddard? Think he's probably the best British writer in the last 25 yrs ( I don't really include Child in that as his stuff is so American). There was a poor TV dramatisation of Out of The blue featuring John Thaw which does him no favours but I love the variation book to book.