Leeds Utd v Huddersfield Town Match Thread - Phillips injured, Berardi in

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Huddersfield Town Match Thread - Phillips injured, Berardi in

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Huddersfield Town

Saturday 7th March 2020 | 15.00 Elland Road

Second placed Leeds entertain West Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield Town at Elland Road on Saturday. Danny Cowley's men are in good recent form having beaten Bristol City 2-1, and thumping the Addicks 4-0, but still sit fifteen places below the Whites, and are four points from the drop zone.

Leeds Manager Marcelo Bielsa has a big decision to make up front. Patrick Bamford has scored 12 goals in 38 appearances in league and Cup competitions this season; but twice in his last 13, both against Millwall at the end of January!

With January's 20m rated Striker Jean-Kevin Augustin injured (now with a hamstring injury), Bielsa put his faith in Tyler Roberts. The 21 year old has had a torrid time with injuries since signing just over two years ago; but the Argentine's faith was rewarded when the Welsh International scored a brace having come on as a second half substitute against Hull last weekend.

Illan Meslier will continue between the sticks for at least the next seven games as Casilla serves out his eight game ban.

Back in December Leeds came away 2-0 winners

Leeds have lost their past two home league games against Huddersfield, although this is their first meeting at Elland Road since September 2016. Huddersfield have not won three consecutive away league games against Leeds since September 1930.

Leeds United are looking to win five consecutive league games without conceding for the first time since December 2009 under Simon Grayson. Huddersfield have not won three league games in a row since February 2017, when they won six in a row with one of those wins a Championship victory over Leeds United.

Leeds Starting XI:
Meslier, Ayling, Cooper, Berardi, Dallas, White, Costa, Hernandez, Klich, Harrison, Bamford

Phillips still suffering with his knock, Ben White pushes up into midfield. Roberts, Alioski, Shackleton and Douglas the likeliest options from the bench.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Huddersfield Town Match Thread

Post by 60sUnited »

I think this will be a tough hurdle. Huddersfield on a decent mini run and probably starting to play as Cowley wants them to, still with home advantage and given the run we are on we should have what it takes to get the points.......or at very least point !!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I dodged a bullet with my travel plans.

When I tried to book this trip last November Flybe were in the process of scrapping the early saturday flight to Leeds Bradford and upping the cost of the 12pm one.
Which gets you to EL on time but just about. Also the Sunday return flights were astronomical compared to what they used to be.

So in our frustration we went Ryanair out of Dublin. Friday Night to Saturday Night.

So I could have been left completely stranded this week with no time and no real options on how to get to the game.

But on to the game:

With both sides coming off a 4-0 last week a shut out is guaranteed. :)

Same team for Leeds, but hopefully with that wee bit more belief among the attacking midfield we get a breakthrough.

Phillips will need to be on song to protect our centre backs as they like to come forward.

Huddersfield will fancy their chances against us and I can see the high possession / high chances created scenario.

JKA with a hamstring issue? All I can say is our No 9 leads a charmed life.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

Glad you’re sorted for the match Ian.

Could be a real good game this one. Do fancy us to nick it, but not expecting an easy ride. Hoping the wingers continue to turn on the style, but could do with a goal from either to complete the rest of their game. Personally think Bielsa will stick with Bamford, at least until the 60th minute. That would be an interesting new guessing game actually, guess when Bamford will come off.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

The bamford situation is a bit of a joke, but as long as we're winning games and staying in touch with WBA then he'll start. I'd like to see Tyler get 45 mins with a view to trying him as being our main striker eventually. I would actually say that can be a better player than PB and certainly knows where the goal is.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Looking more & more likely I'll miss this match :(
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 am Looking more & more likely I'll miss this match :(
Whats up Leon?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 pm Whats up Leon?
I've been hobbling around in pain, could hardly walk on Monday & Tuesday & after two sleepless nights I've had two sessions with a chiropractor & my leg feels much easier now. Problem is I'm unsure I could manage the kop steps or stand for 90 minutes, I'm under orders from Charlotte the chiropractor & Jill not to risk it!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

60sUnited wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm I think this will be a tough hurdle. Huddersfield on a decent mini run and probably starting to play as Cowley wants them to, still with home advantage and given the run we are on we should have what it takes to get the points.......or at very least point !!
We're playing well, and if we can play with fluency like last week, we'll do well.

Get the first goal early so the team relaxes
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Hope you recover swiftly, 64.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:05 pm I've been hobbling around in pain, could hardly walk on Monday & Tuesday & after two sleepless nights I've had two sessions with a chiropractor & my leg feels much easier now. Problem is I'm unsure I could manage the kop steps or stand for 90 minutes, I'm under orders from Charlotte the chiropractor & Jill not to risk it!
How did you do it?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:21 pm Hope you recover swiftly, 64.
Thanks Sara

On the mend now, have another session next Tuesday, the game has come a couple of days too early for me. Only my second miss of the season, Luton away was down to a extremely small ticket allocation!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:05 pm I've been hobbling around in pain, could hardly walk on Monday & Tuesday & after two sleepless nights I've had two sessions with a chiropractor & my leg feels much easier now. Problem is I'm unsure I could manage the kop steps or stand for 90 minutes, I'm under orders from Charlotte the chiropractor & Jill not to risk it!
Ouch mate!

I hope it eases soon.

We hardly need you unavailable for the rest of the season now do we!
'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yep get well soon...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:22 pm How did you do it?
To be honest Matt I don't know :duno: I arrived home from the Hull game in agony, it only hit me when I got out of my car in our driveway.

My chiropractor said it was a build-up problem with wear & tear in my knee which made the muscles tighten up from the top of my left leg & in my thigh, weird as the severe pain was between my knee & ankle, I couldn't put any weight on it. Anyway after much pressing & prodding of the muscles from Charlotte, she has eased the pain considerably. One more session next Tuesday should do the trick :-D
hector

Post by hector »

chop yer bloody leg orf......

That'll sort it.... :mrgreen:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
hector

Post by hector »

I guess that means that playing with your balls is out for a while too?

:mrgreen:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:45 pm chop yer bloody leg orf......

That'll sort it.... :mrgreen:
No need when we have practitioners around who can manipulate a problem

No disrespect to GP's but all they would do is prescribe painkillers which may alleviate the pain however it doesn't resolve the problem!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thank you all for your best wishes
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

The board should have just gave me the money they spend on JKA - I'd have bought a house in Leeds and attended more games.