Coronavirus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Coronavirus

Post by rab_rant »

Smudge3920 wrote: So its only mandatory legislation you disapprove of, ok I respect your opinion... but state pensions are mandatory do you/or will you accept yours ?
Hold on i thought my pension money was something i put aside for my retirement... why should i need to accept something that is rightfully mine?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am Hold on i thought my pension money was something i put aside for my retirement... why should i need to accept something that is rightfully mine?

:rol: Still mandatory
Side before self & MOT
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

Smudge3920 wrote:
:rol: :rol: :rol: ... Oh Rab , seriously you need to get out more... whilst true in many cases,...try laughing some and enjoy some life
I thought it was pretty obvious that during this lockdown i do get out a lot... more than most on here i suspect.

The lockdown i fear the most is the one that happens to peoples minds. Have you forgotten the federal bailout of pension funds 2008

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:16 am Vaccines have totally eradicated smallpox (also rinderpest, which infects cattle, which, unless vegetarian we need). We have also got very close to eradicating, polio, diptheria, bacterial influenza, measles, mumps, rubella and tetanus. Are you advocating Sara, that we stop all vaccine research and let nature take its course?

And I agree an economic system will not produce solutions to problems perish the thought, no that problem is also on us.
No, that's not what I said at all, and you're missing the point somewhat.

Preventing pandemics from arising in the future requires systemic changes, which would also bring many other benefits. Relying solely on vaccine development is a shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted approach, as we are now seeing. The reason for this approach being pushed above all others is the profitability of powerful companies, not the benefit of humankind.

Around 10 million people are infected each year with tuberculosis and 1.5 million die from it. Many of these could be saved by basic improvements in nutrition, hygiene and housing; 8 million people die every year as a result of air pollution. Just two examples of excess deaths which could be easily prevented if there was the political will to do so... so why are these not front page news every day of the week.

I'm not saying vaccination doesn't have a role, I'm saying the way healthcare is financed has a drastic adverse affect on our overall approach, with profitability being the key deciding factor. I'm also saying that the single most effective way to improve health and reduce preventable mortality, now and in the future, would be systemic change. That's not even on the mainstream political agenda, again because of vested financial interests.
Leeds are a myth.
Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Coronavirus - Lockdown in Leeds precariously close

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Ah let's avoid all the unnecessary deaths and see where the population figures end up. Plenty more space for the human race, to screw up all the other species habitat.
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:58 pm Ah let's avoid all the unnecessary deaths and see where the population figures end up. Plenty more space for the human race, to screw up all the other species habitat.
That pretty much equates to, let the poor die, so that a small minority can indulge unlimited greed.

Habitat destruction isn't a factor of population, it's a result of ruthless exploitation.
Leeds are a myth.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:42 pm No, that's not what I said at all, and you're missing the point somewhat.

Preventing pandemics from arising in the future requires systemic changes, which would also bring many other benefits. Relying solely on vaccine development is a shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted approach, as we are now seeing. The reason for this approach being pushed above all others is the profitability of powerful companies, not the benefit of humankind.

Around 10 million people are infected each year with tuberculosis and 1.5 million die from it. Many of these could be saved by basic improvements in nutrition, hygiene and housing; 8 million people die every year as a result of air pollution. Just two examples of excess deaths which could be easily prevented if there was the political will to do so... so why are these not front page news every day of the week.

I'm not saying vaccination doesn't have a role, I'm saying the way healthcare is financed has a drastic adverse affect on our overall approach, with profitability being the key deciding factor. I'm also saying that the single most effective way to improve health and reduce preventable mortality, now and in the future, would be systemic change. That's not even on the mainstream political agenda, again because of vested financial interests.
Not missing anything Sara...All very valid points, and you answer your own questions...imo whilst politics/political parties are designed/built around economic system models we are :flog: .
Side before self & MOT
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote:Ah let's avoid all the unnecessary deaths and see where the population figures end up. Plenty more space for the human race, to screw up all the other species habitat.
That way of thinking is just so Malthusian. We now have Bill Gates and Crispr technology to deal with the problem of population control.

Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm That pretty much equates to, let the poor die, so that a small minority can indulge unlimited greed.

Habitat destruction isn't a factor of population, it's a result of ruthless exploitation.
So you think mans success as a species has no effect on others :lol:
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm That pretty much equates to, let the poor die, so that a small minority can indulge unlimited greed.

I must admit Sara, you do make me think...I am not sure how you equate Mick's comment to "let the poor die"... and of course population plays its part in habitat destruction, the bigger the world population grows the more we have to spread out ergo destroying (in some parts, more to follow) habitat of other species, which I think was Mick's point.
Side before self & MOT
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:34 pm That way of thinking is just so Malthusian. We now have Bill Gates and Crispr technology to deal with the problem of population control.

Instantly painting a doomsday scenario with every response re: technological advancement serves no purpose... There is a concern regarding the worlds population. As vaccines and other medical breakthroughs increase the worlds populace life span. Space to accommodate everyone is becoming a real concern (not tomorrow)but for future generations.
Population control is nothing new, China implemented it, genocide by war mongers and megla maniacs are things we have had to deal with many times over the course of history.
We live in a technological age now, why so surprised that technological solutions are being offered?
Side before self & MOT
Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Diet and exercise could prevent a multitude of ills but let's be honest most people are far to lazy to be bothered with cooking and exercise etc, People do have a choice which I'm sure I will be told they don't.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:58 pm Diet and exercise could prevent a multitude of ills but let's be honest most people are far to lazy to be bothered with cooking and exercise etc, People do have a choice which I'm sure I will be told they don't.
:rol: tried that argument re: personal choice mate ...ignored :lol:
Side before self & MOT
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Smudge3920 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:27 pm Not missing anything Sara...All very valid points, and you answer your own questions...imo whilst politics/political parties are designed/built around economic system models we are :flog: .
Completely agree on that.

Regarding population control, the way forward is through permaculture and a need based economicy, not dominant nations policing the reproductive rights of the 'third world' to maintain existing levels of consumption.
Leeds are a myth.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Had one flu jab, never again for the same reason Faaip
Since covid has been named WuFlu would you turn down a vaccine for it?

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:58 pm Diet and exercise could prevent a multitude of ills but let's be honest most people are far to lazy to be bothered with cooking and exercise etc, People do have a choice which I'm sure I will be told they don't.
Totally agree MJ :tup:
Leeds1000
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

I'm afraid i'm with David Icke on this subject. If we don't eat the lizards we wouldn't be in this mess.
BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Post by BobHirst »

None of the oppression or conspiracy arguments posted above alters the FACT that around 200,000 more deaths than in an average year have occurred in the USA this year.