Coronavirus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Coronavirus

Post by rab_rant »

Let good old Vernon have his say.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

Let's have another Vernon rant, just to put the cat amongst the pigeon.
What are all those BLM rioters thinking not wearing masks?
What are Leeds fans doing by not observing social distancing when they celebrated promotion.
Something is happening here but you don't know what it is... do you Mr Jones?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Very interesting pieces those. Personally I agree entirely
This is Tinker and my name is er...Spengford Bloke, some kind of robber or ne'er do well
Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

I'd agree re cv19 but if he thinks tb, mumps, rubella etc didn't require vaccines he is delusional. Or research work isn't required, who suffers from asthma? Only skimmed watched so I may have missed the gist but I gather he thinks government, pharmaceutical conspiracy.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Nver hd a flu jab and never will - same goes for covid-19, and if anybody thinks I'm being 'selfish', they know what they can do. I had the 'flu bad about 40-45 years ago, and haven't had it since despite being around 'flu outbreaks several times. My wife twice had a 'flu jab because the U.S. Navy made her - she got full-blown 'flu each time, and with the way this covid-19 'shot' is being rushed you'll probably get Foot and Mouth or something.
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but collusion between people whose intentions are to make us all subservient to "Those Who Know Best" when there's not a shred of proof that they understand the virus, never mind anything else they're talking about. This whole thing has been horribly mis (un?)-managed and we should have all been free to get the virus, get over it like 97-98% of those who get it are doing, with the poor souls whose immune systems can't fight it going on to a better place as has happened with the 'flu and other outbreaks. In any case, even with the restrictions in place thousands have died anyway, so I don't see how we would have been worse off. I'm never going to wear a mask in a public place unless there's a gathering of sorts - even then, you're still breathing the same air everyone else is, so how's a mask going to help. Nonsense!
Mick Jones shoulder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Agree with a lot of that, had real flu once hopefully never again not a pleasant experience.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thanks Mick, another point I'd almost forgotten in my obvious dotage is that when lockdown happened, the reason for the 6-feet 'social distancing' was because 'The Experts' said it wasn't an airborne disease and therefore, provided we stood 6 feet away from others there would be little chance of anyone else catching it because the fluid-borne virus would drop to the ground. Remember that? I do because no other respiratory disease has ever NOT been airborne. So these EXPERTS then (about 6-8 weeks into lockdown) suddenly announced that it was, after all, an airborne disease.

Therefore -

1) What price these 'Experts' who didn't understand that any respiratory disease actually has to be airborne in addition to however else it functions?
2) What use is Social Distancing anyway because it's airborne after all?
3) Would you believe any other word out of their collective gobshites?

Forgive my manner - I'm bloody sick of experts who don't know their subject yet want to foment their inappropriate and delusional methods for dealing with what was not a problem in the first place.
Overman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Overman »

Norm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:23 pm Thanks Mick, another point I'd almost forgotten in my obvious dotage is that when lockdown happened, the reason for the 6-feet 'social distancing' was because 'The Experts' said it wasn't an airborne disease and therefore, provided we stood 6 feet away from others there would be little chance of anyone else catching it because the fluid-borne virus would drop to the ground. Remember that? I do because no other respiratory disease has ever NOT been airborne. So these EXPERTS then (about 6-8 weeks into lockdown) suddenly announced that it was, after all, an airborne disease.

Therefore -

1) What price these 'Experts' who didn't understand that any respiratory disease actually has to be airborne in addition to however else it functions?
2) What use is Social Distancing anyway because it's airborne after all?
3) Would you believe any other word out of their collective gobshites?

Forgive my manner - I'm bloody sick of experts who don't know their subject yet want to foment their inappropriate and delusional methods for dealing with what was not a problem in the first place.
Indeed, all praise to the experts and their inflated egos. Good on Vernon, well presented and articulate counter to the mass neurosis. It all feels very Orwelian, a divisive political narrative Covid has become, far beyond the virus. The death anxiety on a global level is absurd. All the perpetuated mistrust and fear, paving the way for more social and arbitrary control measures. I am still waiting for the immortality pill.

It would have made great material for the great and late Bill Hicks.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

Thought for the day.

People willing to trade their freedom
for temporary security deserve neither
and will lose both
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

We have not had a good rant in over a week so lets hear it for
Abdullah the Australian Muslim Vegan Cyclist
who gives you the death stats of everything under
the sun compared to Covid.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

j p Sears gives some statistics
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Some of the legal implications of lockdown:

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/septembe ... -lockdown/
Leeds are a myth.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

SaraM wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am Some of the legal implications of lockdown:

That's a great piece
This is Tinker and my name is er...Spengford Bloke, some kind of robber or ne'er do well
BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Post by BobHirst »

I only read yesterday
that compared to the normal average number of deaths there have been approximately 200,000 more deaths in the USA this year.
I wonder what's different about this year?
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

BobHirst wrote:I only read yesterday
that compared to the normal average number of deaths there have been approximately 200,000 more deaths in the USA this year.
I wonder what's different about this year?
election stress, baby boomers checking out

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Post by BobHirst »

Norm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:32 pm Nver hd a flu jab and never will - same goes for covid-19, and if anybody thinks I'm being 'selfish', they know what they can do. I had the 'flu bad about 40-45 years ago, and haven't had it since despite being around 'flu outbreaks several times. My wife twice had a 'flu jab because the U.S. Navy made her - she got full-blown 'flu each time, and with the way this covid-19 'shot' is being rushed you'll probably get Foot and Mouth or something.
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but collusion between people whose intentions are to make us all subservient to "Those Who Know Best" when there's not a shred of proof that they understand the virus, never mind anything else they're talking about. This whole thing has been horribly mis (un?)-managed and we should have all been free to get the virus, get over it like 97-98% of those who get it are doing, with the poor souls whose immune systems can't fight it going on to a better place as has happened with the 'flu and other outbreaks. In any case, even with the restrictions in place thousands have died anyway, so I don't see how we would have been worse off. I'm never going to wear a mask in a public place unless there's a gathering of sorts - even then, you're still breathing the same air everyone else is, so how's a mask going to help. Nonsense!
At the beginning of the Covid outbreak even the Experts didn't fully understand what to expect. This is apparently a new virus, no data, no prior experience to compare it with. Some of the things they initially came out with were wrong. Over time and with more data they have changed some of their opinions. Surely that is a good thing. One thing they have found, with data and with experience is that wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of Covid. It doesn't cure it, it doesn't prevent it completely but it does reduce the spread. Again surely a good thing.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am Some of the legal implications of lockdown:

An excellent piece for sure, however I am always wary of lawyers.

What we do know from history is this...

quote from the following article...
"The first wave of the 1918 pandemic occurred in the spring and was generally mild. The sick, who experienced such typical flu symptoms as chills, fever and fatigue, usually recovered after several days, and the number of reported deaths was low.

However, a second, highly contagious wave of influenza appeared with a vengeance in the fall of that same year. Victims died within hours or days of developing symptoms, their skin turning blue and their lungs filling with fluid that caused them to suffocate. In just one year, 1918, the average life expectancy in America plummeted by a dozen years".

We are still very much in the 1st wave of this pandemic...

https://www.history.com/topics/world-wa ... u-pandemic

This virus is still mutating.
Side before self & MOT
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

The Finnish Traffic light model to help in the assessment of risks associated with foreign travel.

Within the last week the Finnish government have released an app in Google play to inform you if you have been in contact with someone who has covid and are at risk. The rate of downloads has exceeded all expectation (I will not be downloading it)

Consider this: A traffic light system on your phone that you have to display before you are allowed to enter a shop to buy food.

GREEN: No infection and vaccinated... you are cleared to shop.
ORANGE: Have recently been in contact with a covid carrier and only allowed entry if you wear a mask and gloves.
RED: Denied access and immediately detained and put into quarintine.

I know it is a SciFi scenario but how would you feel about the ability to buy food being dependent on the status of an app on your phone.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

It is certainly a conundrum Rab... I guess at the end of the day it becomes a personal choice... Do you believe science and work towards prevention as much as possible until a vaccine is available... or do you believe the conspiracy theorists and ignore advice from those who know, or are better equipped to find the answers?...
Side before self & MOT
hector

Post by hector »

follow the tin foil hatters every time.....

It makes for a much more exciting time

:mrgreen: