Album of 2020 (Part III) - Cat Cussie Madron & Riot to VOTE

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: Album of 1971 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

Mountain wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:06 am As What's Going On is nominated, I guess it only right to nominate the album whose name was changed to respond to that...

"There's a Riot Goin' On" - Sly and the Family Stone
Nice one Mountain. I can wipe Sly off my shortlist. 👍
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Genesis 'Nursery Cryme'

Toss up between this one and Yes 'Fragile' but I went for the Genesis :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Floyd or Hawkwind? Both opened musical doors for me when I first heard them many years ago.

Pink Floyd - Meddle
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

John Lennon Imagine
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:06 am As What's Going On is nominated, I guess it only right to nominate the album whose name was changed to respond to that...

"There's a Riot Goin' On" - Sly and the Family Stone
Thought you might have gone for Flowers of Evil which is certainly worthy of a nomination and given your user name.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm conflicted, none of my favourites are getting picked up bar Meddle.. and I've just discovered one of the great soul/funk albums was released in 71 ..further conflicting me

My initial thought was Tago Mago - Can which would get maybe 5 points total...It's Sandi's b'day tomorrow, she says LA Woman is the Doors at their best and I agree. Funkadelic's Maggot Brain with that face melting 11 minute opener is missing atm, that's a solo worthy of Jimi on that from Eddie Hazel. Beach Boys, Surfs Up which only gets good reviews on the dark side. Allman Brothers - Filmore East, One of Philly's finest from the Stylistics, songwriting supreme there from Bell and Creed. Mountain's, Flowers of Evil is a cracker

Probably the best Prog album of the year for me and I'm not a prog fan really came from Van De Graff Generator Pawn Hearts, Two cracking Isaac Hayes albums including the evocative Shaft soundtrack. War's stunning All Day Music which I first heard back in the mid seventies and completely forgot about. That needs adding to a list of must buy albums.

Hawkwind In Search of Space, Gong's Camembert Electrique and Santana III which had 17 yr old Neil Schon on it before he went all AOR. Any of REO Speedwagons first four are great so I'd have to consider the debut though REO II is the one really from the following year

Finally Groundhogs - Split is a cracking album and I've always loved JJ Cale's Naturally...

I'm still considering
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 pm I'm conflicted, none of my favourites are getting picked up bar Meddle.. and I've just discovered one of the great soul/funk albums was released in 71 ..further conflicting me

My initial thought was Tago Mago - Can which would get maybe 5 points total...It's Sandi's b'day tomorrow, she says LA Woman is the Doors at their best and I agree. Funkadelic's Maggot Brain with that face melting 11 minute opener is missing atm, that's a solo worthy of Jimi on that from Eddie Hazel. Beach Boys, Surfs Up which only gets good reviews on the dark side. Allman Brothers - Filmore East, One of Philly's finest from the Stylistics, songwriting supreme there from Bell and Creed. Mountain's, Flowers of Evil is a cracker

Probably the best Prog album of the year for me and I'm not a prog fan really came from Van De Graff Generator Pawn Hearts, Two cracking Isaac Hayes albums including the evocative Shaft soundtrack. War's stunning All Day Music which I first heard back in the mid seventies and completely forgot about. That needs adding to a list of must buy albums.

Hawkwind In Search of Space, Gong's Camembert Electrique and Santana III which had 17 yr old Neil Schon on it before he went all AOR. Any of REO Speedwagons first four are great so I'd have to consider the debut though REO II is the one really from the following year

Finally Groundhogs - Split is a cracking album and I've always loved JJ Cale's Naturally...

I'm still considering
Loads of cracking albums mentioned there, didn't know you are a fan of the Groundhogs 'Split' album.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:36 pm Loads of cracking albums mentioned there, didn't know you are a fan of the Groundhogs 'Split' album.
God yes for years and the previous effort Thank God for The Bomb
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 pm I'm conflicted, none of my favourites are getting picked up bar Meddle.. and I've just discovered one of the great soul/funk albums was released in 71 ..further conflicting me

I'm still considering
as do I.........and spookily as I was reading your post faaip, Lynyrd Skynyrd's cover version of 'Call Me The Breeze' came on in the shuffle on my iPad.

Also like The Stylistics album
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Thought Osmium was 71 unfortunately not☹ Loads of stuff to choose from.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'd forgotten about Surf's Up too - that should definitely be in the running.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

From their poppy start, to their psychedelic, frilly shirts and Carnaby Street suits, to the scruffy jeans and tshirts .. in 71 they produced a defining album.
This album was the catalyst for their heavy rock, no nonsense, heads down boogie sound and the beginning of a string of quality rock albums.
The magic circle created...... Dog of two Head. Status Quo.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:27 pm Tago Mago - Can
Gong's Camembert Electrique
Toyed with both of these.

Flowers of Evil was not in my shortlist, afraid my username not linked to the band!
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:31 pm Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man
Probably the second best album of those nominated so far ...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am Hope Gandi nominates Wishbone's 'Pilgrimage', such an underrated album.
ELP's Tarkus is also 71. I'd imagine it will be a toss up
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:35 pm ELP's Tarkus is also 71. I'd imagine it will be a toss up
I reckon you maybe right Faaip.

We know each other too well here on MOT.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Durly wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:31 pm Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man
Great album.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm Great album.
Agreed ,but forgot I'd would have had that.
1964white

Re: Album of 1971

Post by 1964white »

ALBUM OF 1971

NOMINATE NOW

Led Zeppelin 'IV' Billie
Joni Mitchell 'Blue' Onemore
The Who 'Who's Next' John
Marvin Gaye 'Whats Going On' 64
Carole King 'Tapestry' Mrs 64
David Bowie 'Hunky Dory' Cat