West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Nketiah starts, Bamford returns to bench

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Nketiah starts, Bamford returns to bench

Post by Ellandback1 »

West Bromwich Albion v Leeds Utd

Wednesday 1st January 2020 17.15 | The Hawthorns

Not content with winning a 9 goal thriller on Monday, Leeds have unfinished business in the West Midlands as they aim to complete the double over second placed West Brom. Leeds took all three points thanks to a one nil victory. An Alioski strike from his customary left hand side of the edge of the area was the difference between the two teams at the beginning of October, when Slaven Bilic's team tasted defeat for the first time this season. It was a game that Leeds dominated for large periods.

Patrick Bamford has recovered from his dead leg enough to make it onto the bench but Eddie Nketiah remains in the starting eleven to make only his second league start this season. Otherwise Marcelo Bielsa names an unchanged squad from the Birmingham City game with the same starting eleven. Fellow forward Tyler Roberts drops from the bench to make way for Bamford. Jamie Shackleton is not expected to return until the Arsenal game next Monday.

Bilic tore into his team on Boxing Day following a lackluster performance against Middlesbrough, which saw the Whites leapfrog the Baggies gaining a psychological advantage of being top of the Championship on January 1st. Influential West Bromwich Albion forward Grady Diangana has been ruled out of the New Year's Day clash. West Ham loanee Diangana has been one of the Baggies standout performers this season, but is still a week or so from returning after he sustained a back problem at Birmingham City. Joining him on the sidelines will be full-back Nathan Ferguson, who is suffering from a knee problem and will spend a couple of weeks out. There was better news for Bilic in that Kieran Gibbs is available against after he sat out the defeat to Middlesbrough on Sunday.

Referee Watch - Rob Jones

The referee for the West Brom game on New Year's Day will be, Rob Jones. He's hotly tipped for promotion to the SG1 next season and by far one of the better referees in the EFL. He's already refereed two of our home games this season; the Forest draw & our Centenary win over Birmingham.

He refereed us 4 times in the league last season. 3 wins; Rotherham, Bolton and Preston. And one draw against Sheff Wednesday. In total he has overseen 8 Leeds games; 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. He has fished out 12 yellow cards and 1 red card to Leeds players, the red card was for O'Kane's headbutt against Ipswich.

Referee information from Jo Bedford (@El_Loco_JoJo)

West Bromwich Albion have won four of their last five home league games against Leeds United. Albion have lost six of their last eight league matches on New Year's Day. Last season, they lost 2-1 at Blackburn. This is the first time Leeds will play their first league match of a new decade away from home since 1970 when, under Don Revie, they hammered Chelsea 5-2 at Stamford Bridge. Albion have lost their first league match of a calendar year in 10 of the last 14 years, although they won the last time they were at The Hawthorns in 2017, a 3-1 win over Hull City. Patrick Bamford has scored two goals in two Championship games against West Brom for Leeds - both in the 4-0 win at Elland Road in March 2019.

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Ayling, White, Cooper, Alioski, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Harrison, Costa, Nketiah

Subs: Meslier, Casey, Douglas, Berardi, Gotts, Stevens, Bamford
gessa

Re: West Bromwich Albion v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

When we have a bad result, many of our fans state how we have no plan b and Bielsa as been found out etc.. funny thing is , it's exactly what the West Brom fans around this way have been saying for the last few weeks.

Albion's strong point is their attacking players, we will have to be much much better at the back than we were against Brum.

I'd drop Alio and put Dallas at LB, play Roberts as a 10.

I think both sets of fans would probably settle for a draw, 5-5 anyone?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

gessa wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:25 pm When we have a bad result, many of our fans state how we have no plan b and Bielsa as been found out etc.. funny thing is , it's exactly what the West Brom fans around this way have been saying for the last few weeks.

Albion's strong point is their attacking players, we will have to be much much better at the back than we were against Brum.

All the reasons fans say why we're not good enough for promotion are magnified with just about every other Ch. team
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

For defence we need both White and Cooper acting as support crutches for Charlie Austin
just to make sure he does not fall on his arse in the penalty area.

WBA are not having the greatest of runs at the moment three 1-1 draws and a 2-0 loss to
Boro. They are there for the taking, and the way the other top six teams are playing
It would not surprise me in the least if we extend our led at the top of the table.

WBA are a 2CV with a misfiring engine. We are a Rolls Royce with and engine that needs a tune up.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm WBA are a 2CV with a misfiring engine. We are a Rolls Royce with and engine that needs a tune up.
:lol: :lol: I’d take a draw but would love a win MOT
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

be a massive statement if we went there and won. just like when norwich and sheffield utd did at ours last season. i'd be probably happy with a draw but there's no reason why we can't win.
However , we need to be a lot tighter and get back playing our high press game which for one reason or another seems to be missing recently.
roberts in for me and dallas at full back.
Last edited by leic white 63 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:52 pm :lol: :lol: I’d take a draw but would love a win MOT
3 points from 12 says it all for WBA. We need to pile on the pain.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

This game reminds me of our second game against Norwich last season.

I hope we keep it tight at the back, fight for the ball in midfield and hope for the lucky break up front. ;-)

A clean sheet would be massive. We lost our discipline a wee bit on Sunday towards the end of the game with three yellows in the last 20 minutes. Time for cool heads, WBA will feel they need this more than us.

At this point I would be happy with a point.

WBA have been rotating their squad ahead during this busy period and of course we haven't so they should be able to match our fitness before sending Austin on later to do what he does best.

Massive game in the context of the Championship.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

"Anyone need a hug? Jesse Marsch
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Dallas is Bielsa's utility man and he seems to be fitting into the role that Adam Forshaw had.
I just read the following.

Nobody would have thought it at the beginning of the season,
but Dallas may actually be a better midfield option than Adam Forshaw
at this point. We know how much Bielsa loves Forshaw after his
comments about him being a great blend of attacking attributes
and defensive skills, but it seems as if Dallas eclipses him in both of those areas.
When Dallas plays as a centre-mid he averages 2.1 shots per game as
well as two tackles per match, both of those numbers sit higher than
Forshaw’s 1.9 and 1.1.

Dallas scores goals Forshaw doesn't
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

I can see Charlie Austin doing some damage. WBA will see this too. Kiko and the defence need to seriously improve or it could be another high scoring draw. At least we know they are not in good form and confidence could be low.

I'm going for a 2-2 draw. Eddie to go back tomorrow and PB will be injured
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:52 pm Dallas is Bielsa's utility man and he seems to be fitting into the role that Adam Forshaw had.
I just read the following.

Nobody would have thought it at the beginning of the season,
but Dallas may actually be a better midfield option than Adam Forshaw
at this point. We know how much Bielsa loves Forshaw after his
comments about him being a great blend of attacking attributes
and defensive skills, but it seems as if Dallas eclipses him in both of those areas.
When Dallas plays as a centre-mid he averages 2.1 shots per game as
well as two tackles per match, both of those numbers sit higher than
Forshaw’s 1.9 and 1.1.

Dallas scores goals Forshaw doesn't

No, no, no!

Dallas is great out wide, not suited to the central role in my opinion.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Vs WBA away Dallas or Forshaw may work as they offer more energy in Dallas case and Forshaw offers some solidarity and is very much a safety first player, so we keep the ball better.

Generally though neither suit BielsaBall in its purest sense imo.

BielsaBall needs a 10, that creative spark.

Klich is best as a box to box mid.

Dallas and Forshaw shouldn't be in cm most of the time imo.

That should be Klich going box to box next to someone more creative and able to provide a bit of class going forward.

Forshaw slows down our attacks and Dallas for all his energy is very technically limited.

Neither of them get the best out of Klich either so we lose not just the creativity of a 10 but Klich is also impacted playing a role he doesnt suit.

Also Klich is one of our best players at receiving the ball facing the defence and being able to find a positive pass, Forshaw tends to go back.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Skybet have us favourites for this, bit of a shock
Them 19/10
Us 13/10
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:25 pm When we have a bad result, many of our fans state how we have no plan b and Bielsa as been found out etc.. funny thing is , it's exactly what the West Brom fans around this way have been saying for the last few weeks.

2-0 to Leeds Ges

Totally agree with those changes :tup:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

WBA will want to win this, they're at home, so need to win it and they have the players to beat us. Form won't factor in many games we play this season and least of all this one...I'll take what we deserve
PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Is it just me who isnt convinced by Roberts?

He shows flashes but aside from his fitness issues he has only scored 4 goals in 27 matches worth of minutes.

6 assists.

Not set the world alight.

Ok as a bench option but nothing more long term imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm For defence we need both White and Cooper acting as support crutches for Charlie Austin
just to make sure he does not fall on his arse in the penalty area.

WBA are not having the greatest of runs at the moment three 1-1 draws and a 2-0 loss to
Boro. They are there for the taking, and the way the other top six teams are playing
It would not surprise me in the least if we extend our led at the top of the table.

WBA are a 2CV with a misfiring engine. We are a Rolls Royce with and engine that needs a tune up.
Do they have Charlie Austin as well as Mitrovic?! Bloody hell. Such an unfair league with parachute payments.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I think the fact it’s WBA will focus the minds of the players and we will see a much more solid performance. The big worry is if Eddie is recalled, which looks inevitable now and paddy is out again. Worst thing is if he’s rushed back and aggravates the problem, was it a dead leg that kept him out of the Birmingham game?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

I expect West Brom to fly at us for the opening 15-20 minutes. We have to accept that that is the likelihood and that most of the possession and attacking will be in their favour for that spell. Don't get frustrated and expect more from our players.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 pm Is it just me who isnt convinced by Roberts?

He shows flashes but aside from his fitness issues he has only scored 4 goals in 27 matches worth of minutes.

6 assists.

Not set the world alight.

Ok as a bench option but nothing more long term imo.
I am not convinced by him ... yet.

Injuries being the big setback.

Last season many of our squad were coming to terms with the managers' style of play.

But I think if he got a run in the side the same as Harrison has had we could see a consistent level of performance that could in the end make all the difference to us.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

"Anyone need a hug? Jesse Marsch