Two Crucial Matches?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Two Crucial Matches?

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 pm I like our position, last season we lead the pack round the track for 40 laps before getting passed by 2 that rode on our shoulders, that's a lot of pressure as we became the target to knock down for every team behind us...If we can't break the pack and go well clear I'm happier sitting in 2nd, 3rd or 4th till March.
All about staying in the mix mate
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:41 pm I like our position, last season we lead the pack round the track for 40 laps before getting passed by 2 that rode on our shoulders, that's a lot of pressure as we became the target to knock down for every team behind us...If we can't break the pack and go well clear I'm happier sitting in 2nd, 3rd or 4th till March.
Bang on.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just had a look at last seasons table.

At this stage we had us Norwich and the Blunts in the top 3 with Villa miles behind.

The previous year it was Fulham who were 17th but made climbed to third by end of season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

When I saw the topic heading I thought it was referring to our next two games.

Points away from home are hard to come by in this division, but we have two away games in four days versus lower-half teams. Quite capable of coming away with all six, and would do wonders for our prospects if we could do so.

Luton have lost four on the fly. so starting by getting those three points very important. Reading will be a much tougher nut to crack, so anything less than a win at Luton will be quite a let-down. Hopefully we get healthy over the next ten days.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 pm When I saw the topic heading I thought it was referring to our next two games.

Points away from home are hard to come by in this division, but we have two away games in four days versus lower-half teams. Quite capable of coming away with all six, and would do wonders for our prospects if we could do so.

Luton have lost four on the fly. so starting by getting those three points very important. Reading will be a much tougher nut to crack, so anything less than a win at Luton will be quite a let-down. Hopefully we get healthy over the next ten days.
I don't think the Luton game will be as easy as some may think.
Yes, they are fourth from bottom but they have scored more goals (22) than any other side in the bottom 10 and one more than us.
However, their achilles heal is their defence who have conceded 30 to our 9.
It's games like this we are notorious for failing in but I fancy us to nick it
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

If we consider ourselves serious promotion contenders then we should be collecting maximum points in these games with a minimum of fuss.

But our players need to get out of their heads that they need to score the perfect goal.

When Ayling was fouled on Saturday it wasnt as if he presented a goal threat. We need to stop faffing around so much.
Test the keeper. We dont do it enough.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

So very true Irish Ian. The number of times we are in good shooting positions and choose to take another touch or pass it to a player who isn't in such a good position is very alarming . Also shots that are way off target from not that far out is also very frustrating, at least make the keeper work !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

At least we're solid at the back now. Or rather, more solid than we were and more solid than we rightfully should be. The wins are coming too, so get a couple more and we'll be where Norwich were last season, hitting our peak at just the right time.

I'll say again that I'm not convinced Preston will continue in their vein while Fulham are like a slumbering tiger waiting to awaken and when they do it'll get savage in the playoff battle. I've just got a funny feeling that the second half of the season will be a tight race for 1st between us and WBA but not really threatening to drop while the real drama will be the brawl for 3-6th.

And that's a show I'll be happy to enjoy from a distance.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:22 pm At least we're solid at the back now. Or rather, more solid than we were and more solid than we rightfully should be. The wins are coming too, so get a couple more and we'll be where Norwich were last season, hitting our peak at just the right time.

I'll say again that I'm not convinced Preston will continue in their vein while Fulham are like a slumbering tiger waiting to awaken and when they do it'll get savage in the playoff battle. I've just got a funny feeling that the second half of the season will be a tight race for 1st between us and WBA but not really threatening to drop while the real drama will be the brawl for 3-6th.

And that's a show I'll be happy to enjoy from a distance.
I didn't think Preston were that good when they played us, the lilywhites scored around the 75 minute with their first effort on target when we were stretched on the break. To be fair we should have smacked their arses long before they made an impact on the game.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm I didn't think Preston were that good when they played us, the lilywhites scored around the 75 minute with their first effort on target when we were stretched on the break. To be fair we should have smacked their arses long before they made an impact on the game.
Indeed, and that speaks more about us than them. Our own profligacy in front of goal has cost us in more games than that one so far this season, but things are getting slowly better in that regard and we're still getting the wins despite not having a main/recognised goalscorer.

Despite conceding silly goals, because we're not scoring for fun (yet.....?) it still feels nervy like we're easy to score against when that's just not the case. We know what that feels like after watching our defence getting carved to pieces like Christmas turkey time and time again last season and the goals conceded figure right now speaks for itself despite already having played the big teams immediately around us.

Preston just don't seem to have that same solidity and I think it'll come back to bite them as the season goes on, though I think they should have done enough by then to cement a playoff spot which is admirable in itself.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Probably Darlington's and Gateshead hoover I'm spaced ta took at the Minot
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

I like our position, last season we lead the pack round the track for 40 laps before getting passed by 2 that rode on our shoulders, that's a lot of pressure as we became the target to knock down for every team behind us...If we can't break the pack and go well clear I'm happier sitting in 2nd, 3rd or 4th till March.
Ditto