Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:44 pm We'll win friends because of our honesty however it will cost us points unfortunately.
True, I didn't see the Chelsea players running to the ref saying "You need to give a pen mate."
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Illan Meslier vs. Man Utd:

87.5% distribution
8 saves Fire
6 saves from inside the box
6 goals conceded
47 touches
5/8 succ. long passes
1 punch

Made EIGHT saves & kept the score to single digits. Only Sam Johnstone has made more saves than him in the Premier League this season.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 06.44.26.png
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

We are so lucky to have him as our keeper, lets hope he stays with us for many seasons, he is probably the best we had since Robbo
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I believe he is going to be the best GK in the world...with fair winds and free from injury... I also see one of those rare combinations of GK/team Captain, his distribution and control at the back improves weekly... A gem if ever there was one.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Smudge3920 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm I believe he is going to be the best GK in the world...with fair winds and free from injury... I also see one of those rare combinations of GK/team Captain, his distribution and control at the back improves weekly... A gem if ever there was one.
It constantly astonishes me how young this guy is. I hope he's still with us when he hits his prime in many years' time. A big, big feather in Orta's cap.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:51 pm It constantly astonishes me how young this guy is. I hope he's still with us when he hits his prime in many years' time. A big, big feather in Orta's cap.
He loves Leeds...think he will be a franchise player a one club man...well thats my hope anyway, as we are going to fill a top 6 place again ...
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Listening to Illan's voice on the pre-Burnley interview i must say he sounds like a Roman Gladiator rather than this angelic choir boy i had etched in my mind. I think they may have just dropped recently.

Maybe Angelic Choir boy is not quite the phrase i was after. Juts incase anyone was wondering i'm not a Roman Catholic priest. I was meaning high pitched voice. I just have the best way with words. :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Illian Meslier vs. Burnley:

90 mins played
50 touches
8 clearances
6 saves
5 punches :clap:
4 saves from inside the box
1 high claim
1 clean sheet 🛏

Illan earned his fifth Premier League clean sheet. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 20.59.34.png
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Even though he wasn't 100% effective with dealing with the aerial threat today it was great to see him having the confidence to try to get to so much. Took Peter Schmeichel a long while to learn how to deal with that side of the game (Fergie had Hughes and Bruce clattering into him at training) but once he did he was a great keeper. With Messlier's height if he can get comfortable dealing with the aerial stuff it will take so much pressure of the rest of the team.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

He was under a great deal of pressure today... this is where his "inexperience" shows...Barns and Wood constantly Harrassing and blocking him...the defence has to take some responsibilty here someone should have dealt with Barnes(in particular) and Wood for taking liberties with their GK.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Not official, but Phil Hay reports that, to the Leeds press' understanding, Meslier has contracted covid.

EDIT:

Direct post from Meslier. 'Recovering well'

Seems that confirms it then.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Illan Meslier vs. Leicester City

53 touches
7 saves Clapping hands sign
2 saves from inside the box
1 punch

Meslier made seven saves to keep the Foxes at bay this afternoon. Superb display between the sticks :clap:

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 18.18.17.png
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:23 pm Illan Meslier vs. Leicester City

53 touches
7 saves Clapping hands sign
2 saves from inside the box
1 punch

Meslier made seven saves to keep the Foxes at bay this afternoon. Superb display between the sticks :clap:

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 18.18.17.png
He's maturing fast. I think that punch was the only questionable moment. He cleared it but could have easily caught it. Other than that, nice saves, quick off his line and all distribution on point. He even cleared the ball when he had to instead of those fancy chip passes. Real steal of a keeper.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Young Mes is inline to break Paul Harts clean sheet record in the prem...... his clean sheet against the Eagles was his 7th..Mes has 4 games between now and his birthday on March 2 to get another and break the 14 year old record of most clean sheets in the prem before his 21st birthday...

Currently he is notching up a clean sheet every 3 games...

What a gem we have ...
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

So nice to finally have a very good keeper who does makes very few mistakes and great distribution. What a gem we have. Would have taken a keeper with little mistakes and the rest are absolute bonuses!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

IM1.jpg
IM1.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Ilan Meslier's our last line in defence
He's a star in the making, and he hardly cost ten pence
He saves them with his body
He saves them with hands
And when we win the Premier League, we'll cheer him from the stands.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Illan Meslier (20 years and 354 days) became the youngest goalkeeper to score an own goal in the Premier League.

Showed great character tonight with that performance.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm Illan Meslier (20 years and 354 days) became the youngest goalkeeper to score an own goal in the Premier League.

Showed great character tonight with that performance.
Here here...really felt for the lad when that ball hit him...