Today's Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Today's Games - The Final

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 am To be fair to MB it's been pretty well established that he could have managed some of Europe's elite in the past should he have wanted to and been willing to be a bit more flexible.

As it is he decided the teams he choose were better for him and sacrificed the likelihood of winning trophies for teams that suited his ideals and morals.

I am concerned i admit, i dont think we will do enough to the squad to counter the dip that imo we are due based on the cycle thread i did a while ago, thats my view, hope to be wrong but id doesnt seem that the necessary 4 or 5 first 11 signings will arrive.

Imo the Southgate/Bielsa debate comes down to style. MB makes us play entertaining football, attacking, fast paced, enthralling.

Win lose or draw its always entertaining and we have a go and i think fans can accept that in our minds even after a defeat.

Criticism still arrives of course but its tempered with an appreciation for what Bielsa is trying to do

And also MB has an aura, a reputation, tons of respect in the football world.

Southgate doesnt, he is the dull bloke who got Boro relegated and who Boro fans will tell you bored them to tears for years with his style of play.

He is the next generation Steve Bruce, Big Sam etc.

A safety first risk averse win if you can but dont lose is a must manager.

And that has a limit.

People dont like the style, they respect it if it wins trophies and if it is necessary (like if you need a firefighter manager to save you from relegation). But nobody looks forward to it and if it doesnt bring Trophies like Simeone at Madrid or Jose over the years then people are much more inclined to get upset because they arent particularly entertained either.

Thats my opinion.
Agreed.

If Leeds made the FA Cup final and we parked the bus for 90 mins, rather than having a go, I'd be fuming.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 am To be fair to MB it's been pretty well established that he could have managed some of Europe's elite in the past should he have wanted to and been willing to be a bit more flexible.

As it is he decided the teams he choose were better for him and sacrificed the likelihood of winning trophies for teams that suited his ideals and morals.

I am concerned i admit, i dont think we will do enough to the squad to counter the dip that imo we are due based on the cycle thread i did a while ago, thats my view, hope to be wrong but id doesnt seem that the necessary 4 or 5 first 11 signings will arrive.

Imo the Southgate/Bielsa debate comes down to style. MB makes us play entertaining football, attacking, fast paced, enthralling.

Win lose or draw its always entertaining and we have a go and i think fans can accept that in our minds even after a defeat.

Criticism still arrives of course but its tempered with an appreciation for what Bielsa is trying to do

And also MB has an aura, a reputation, tons of respect in the football world.

Southgate doesnt, he is the dull bloke who got Boro relegated and who Boro fans will tell you bored them to tears for years with his style of play.

He is the next generation Steve Bruce, Big Sam etc.

A safety first risk averse win if you can but dont lose is a must manager.

And that has a limit.

People dont like the style, they respect it if it wins trophies and if it is necessary (like if you need a firefighter manager to save you from relegation). But nobody looks forward to it and if it doesnt bring Trophies like Simeone at Madrid or Jose over the years then people are much more inclined to get upset because they arent particularly entertained either.

Thats my opinion.
Hey cj!

Nice answer, and for the record I definitely don't think Southgate is a better manager than Bielsa - by any stretch of the imagination!

Yep will be interesting to see how we strengthen the squad this year and how the season plays out. As you say the football we've played so far under Bielsa has been incredibly exciting. We have parked the bus occasionally though - the second game against United and the City game (although obviously a man down). Both worked.

Saying that, it's pretty unanimous that Southgate has done an unbelievable job as England manager so far (and believe me I wanted him out to begin with as I thought he was a poor manager). Regardless of whether he's a good tactician or not he's taken us further in a world cup and euro cup than we've been in a long time/ever been and 99 plus per cent of the fans are ecstatic with his performance. The atmosphere and moral in the squad is clearly excellent and this is a team that's extremely hard to beat. He's done better than any England manager undoubtedly in a very long time. Exciting football? I'll take progressing to semi finals and finals anyway over exciting football and I think most would agree. I think we've been spoilt for choice having Bielsa here.

Incredibly excited for what Qatar has to offer under Southgate next year!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:43 pm
Yep will be interesting to see how we strengthen the squad this year and how the season plays out. As you say the football we've played so far under Bielsa has been incredibly exciting. We have parked the bus occasionally though - the second game against United and the City game (although obviously a man down). Both worked.
And the Burnley game at ER when we showed we could defend a lead, the start of our defence looking in better shape in the PL.

Playing Struijk as a CB in that game helped our cause too, from then on Pascal became a regular fixture in our back four.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm And the Burnley game at ER when we showed we could defend a lead, the start of our defence looking in better shape in the PL.

Playing Struijk as a CB in that game helped our cause too, from then on Pascal became a fixture in our back four.
Yep! We improved so much in that respect as the season went on! Was great to see
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It used to be acceptable that you could have a manager and play sh*te football because of the limitations of the squad. Managers like Pulis keeping Stoke up for many years was acceptable because Stoke didn't have great players and were punching above their weight. Play a better style and they'd go down was the feeling and the point was emphasised when they sacked Pulis, tried to play better football and promptly got relegated..

Managers like Heckingbottom would go into a club, basically declare all the players were sh*t and unfit etc and demand to be judged after they were allowed to bring in the players they wanted - and as such would get a couple of years before being found out.

Bielsa blew all of those thoughts out of the water. He took players that we all assumed couldn't play a really stylish possession based game and made them all play that way and play it really well. He didn't demand new players he simply took existing players and showed how good they could be with the right tactics.

So we get to Southgate and if England had a dearth of quality then you could have to some degree accepted the negative football because it had been rammed down our throats that we weren't as good on the ball as Johnny Foreigner despite Bielsa showing how players we all though were poor technically could play a 'continental' way. But even if Bielsa hadn't proved what could be done it wouldn't matter as don't have a dearth of good players we have an abundance of talent. We don't need to be this defensive side that tries not to lose and hopes to nick a goal.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

weasel wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:41 pm Only exciting and thrilling given the easy run we had. I never got caught up in the media hype because I always felt we'd come a cropper when we came up against a good team. We had a 'punchers' chance tonight because of the quality of individuals we had.
France had a supposedly easy game with Switzerland we beat who we had to beat others can't say the same ,Italy were the best team in the tournament
john1931
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by john1931 »

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Boring Boring Arsenal and we ended up with GG. He loved to build from the back did GG, oh and pass back to the keeper before it was banned.
1964white

Re: Today's Games

Post by 1964white »

Derby v Manure in a friendly match on now.

Looks like scummers youth players
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mata & Greenwood playing
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We all hate Leeds scum ringing around the ground :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Watching Hertha Berlin v Liverpool on the scousers TV station
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Opening game of the season tonight

Bournemouth v West Brom
1964white

Re: Today's Games - Bournemouth v West Brom tonight 7.45pm

Post by 1964white »

Two of the teams most likely to go up in most people's opinions on here.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The first game of the season finished in a 2-2 draw

Good result for the baggies at Dean Court

A couple of decent goals

1964white

Re: Today's Games - Championship/EFL fixtures.

Post by 1964white »

On the telly today

Community Shield

Leicester v Man City (ITV 5pm)

League One

Charlton v Sheff Wed (SKY 5.30pm)

Championship

Sheff Utd v Birmingham (SKY 8pm)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:10 am On the telly today

Community Shield

Leicester v Man City (ITV 5pm)

League One

Charlton v Sheff Wed (SKY 5.30pm)

Championship

Sheff Utd v Birmingham (SKY 8pm)
Shame the City match kicks off same time as the Lions. Wonder if Cap'n Jack Sparrow will be playing? Can you imagine how salty the Villa fans will be today? :)

The Wendies in League One :lol: :lol: fookin hilarious mate, I'd forgot all about that, put a smile on my face :lol:

Will be cheering the Brummies on once Leeds have finished humping Villareal :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:07 am The first game of the season finished in a 2-2 draw

Good result for the baggies at Dean Court

A couple of decent goals

An average start for Scott Parker's Cherries :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:13 pm Shame the City match kicks off same time as the Lions. Wonder if Cap'n Jack Sparrow will be playing? Can you imagine how salty the Villa fans will be today? :)

The Wendies in League One :lol: :lol: fookin hilarious mate, I'd forgot all about that, put a smile on my face :lol:

Will be cheering the Brummies on once Leeds have finished humping Villareal :)
Not a good time for the Steel City right now :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:29 pm Not a good time for the Steel City right now :lol:
Such a shame 😂😂😂