Ryan Kent

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan Kent

Post by Cjay »

Already did one for Costa so only seems fair.

The least likely of our targets it seems with Rangers keen and Liverpool always willing to do their old Skipper a good turn.

Nevertheless.

Originally caught the eye a few years ago at Coventry City, while on loan there so impressed was Jurgen Klopp that when Coventry asked to extend the short term loan the Liverpool boss refused and insisted he wanted Kent back at Anfield to asses him that January. Kent did indeed go on to make an appearance for Liverpool shortly after returning.

July 2016 he joined newly promoted Barnsley (under Hecky), impressed again, scoring 3 goals and assisting 1 goal, not the most impressive numbers but they weren't the most impressive team and he was creating 1.9 chances per game (only Pablo averaged higher for us this season).

He actually was brilliant when they beat us 3-2 that season and was named Barnsley Young Player Of The Season.

Things went a bit wrong after for a while.

A loan spell in Germany with Freiburg where he struggled to make any impact, so little game time in fact that Liverpool cancelled the deal early.

Then half a season with Bristol City straight after the Germany loan, again struggled for game time (although he did manage 2 assists in just 548minutes of football) Liverpool were unhappy with his game time and because of some clause in the deal were able to fine Bristol City between £250-300k.

Last season he found his form again, impressing greatly at Rangers under Steven Gerrard, 6 goals and 4 assists in 27 league games saw him named Rangers Young PLayer Of The Year, PFA Scotland Young PLayer Of The Year and in the Team Of The Year.

Kent is a talented lad.

Very quick with a low centre of gravity, he is able to go past players very easily, also he is one of that rare breed of footballer who is genuinely 2 footed, comfortable on either foot which of course makes him even harder to mark for full backs.

The downside, he didnt impress at Bristol City in this league really, without being snobbish the Scottish Prem is probably not overall as tough as The Championship so its a gamble, he impressed at Barnsley but the goals and assists weren't very good,.is he worth the risk in that sense, we need end product.

And most of all, he wont be cheap, if we could negotiate an option to buy then aslong as its reasonable then ok at least their may be some long term benefit.

But even so, Rangers paid a loan fee well in excess of £1million for him, Liverpool want more then that this season apparently if they are to even consider loaning him out again, also his wages must be covered, not a huge amount tbf (only on about £5k a week).

But even so just for a start thats probably going to cost the club over £2million in total and thats before any possible fines and that may be a one off deal if an option to buy cant be agreed.

So, Ryan Kent.

Worth signing?

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ryan Kent

Post by The Subhuman »

Not from what I've seen so far...but if he comes then we'll have to see for ourselves
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

For £2m loan fee, we should be setting our aspirations much higher. Our lack of goal threat from the wings was our biggest Achilles heel.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

He didn't impress me from what I saw of Rangers last season (only the Old Firm derbies to be fair). He played well against us three seasons ago, and that is the only time I have seen him perform. Would much rather give Jordan Stevens a go.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Those bloody step overs will get real annoying real quick...Like Gandi says Stevens and Harrison if we land him are better alternatives.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I watched a Rangers Cup game live on the beeb towards the end of last season.

One thing that stood out was a comment by one of the pundits which mentioned that teams who lined up against Rangers generally conceded territory and were happy to sit back and deny the Rangers room in the final third.

Sounds familiar... And in a season getting used to that Kent still managed to receive an award.

Plus he has been able to come off the bench

Not sure what he is like in defence though, but in those old form games and he proved to me he is a big game player.

Likes to dribble
Likes to cross
Likes to play short passes
Likes to shoot from distance
I would prefer Costa as he does have pedigree in this league but
I wouldnt have him over Mr likes to run into traffic and knock the ball back.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Apparently MB really wants Ryan Kent, thinks he can play centrally.

People at the club want a more natural striker.

Can see why MB would like Kent, pacey and direct with a good work ethic.

Personally i see him as a Saiz replacement.

Remember when MB praised Samu as the only player who could carry the ball through the thirds centrally at pace, something like that.

That's Kent imo potentially.

Do think we need another striker option though, personally think it would be Colidio.

Phil Hay suggested he may be for the u23s but can't see it myself.

He isnt a million miles away from the Inter first team, spent all pre season with them so why swap that for our u23s?

Kent and Colidio would make me happy.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:24 pm Apparently MB really wants Ryan Kent, thinks he can play centrally.

People at the club want a more natural striker.

Can see why MB would like Kent, pacey and direct with a good work ethic.

Personally i see him as a Saiz replacement.

Remember when MB praised Samu as the only player who could carry the ball through the thirds centrally at pace, something like that.

That's Kent imo potentially.

Do think we need another striker option though, personally think it would be Colidio.

Phil Hay suggested he may be for the u23s but can't see it myself.

He isnt a million miles away from the Inter first team, spent all pre season with them so why swap that for our u23s?

Kent and Colidio would make me happy.
A LUFC team with wingers & pace

Whatever next :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pete O'Rourke saying that we wouldnt pay Liverpool the asking price for Ryan Kent (£7mil) which is why we nver got him.

Made a series of lower offers.

We do love to lowball teams when it comes to spending money :lol:

Not surprised at all, didnt buy Bielsa wanting Nketiah over a player he personally scouted.

Should have actually just paid up and got MB the player he wanted to for a change.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Ryan

Post by Irish Ian »

I do wonder sometimes why MB stays with this club. I mean we have no choice but he does. Not being prepared to invest even 25% of what was recouped on the TM to push for promotion is actually a disgrace.

At 7M I reckon Kent could have been developed and sold for a bit more than that in two seasons time if needed.

Why are we so bad at this?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ryan

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 pm I do wonder sometimes why MB stays with this club. I mean we have no choice but he does. Not being prepared to invest even 25% of what was recouped on the TM to push for promotion is actually a disgrace.

At 7M I reckon Kent could have been developed and sold for a bit more than that in two seasons time if needed.

Why are we so bad at this?
Doesnt make sense to me.

How can we need to bring in £30mil and let 20 odd players leave?

Well run clubs dont do that but according to Radz fans we are a well run club.

Radz allowed the wage bill to get so high in the first place and a lot of the dross we got rid off were his signings, we sold 4 players who were here before Radz to pay for his transfer errors imo.

But its done and we will just have to do whay the club are, hope.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Crikey think some people on here went to the Ridsdale school of economics. Yeah let's just pay what another club wants no matter if it is grossly inflated. We would have had an idea of the maximum we think he is worth and if we can't get him for that then we should suddenly pay whatever the seller wants.

Every manager has a shopping list. O'Leary had one and Ridsdale seemed to get him every player he wanted, no matter the transfer fee or the wages. Every manager knows they won't get every target they want but if they get 3 of the 4 targets they would be pretty happy.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm Crikey think some people on here went to the Ridsdale school of economics. Yeah let's just pay what another club wants no matter if it is grossly inflated. We would have had an idea of the maximum we think he is worth and if we can't get him for that then we should suddenly pay whatever the seller wants.

Every manager has a shopping list. O'Leary had one and Ridsdale seemed to get him every player he wanted, no matter the transfer fee or the wages. Every manager knows they won't get every target they want but if they get 3 of the 4 targets they would be pretty happy.
Are we just going to use events that happened nearly 20 years ago as a reason for failing to invest forever?

Even you must find it odd the club needed to raise over £30mil in fees and ship out i think its about 27 players while spending at most £5-£10mil (estimates ive read which seem reasonable put it at £8.5mil) on loans?

Well run clubs dont need to raise almost the entire ffp limit in one go.

Yes the wage bill went up but that was Radz!!!! He handed out contracts willy nilly and he sanctioned 20 odd players in his first window and i think only Klich and Ali are still here.

I think we are paying for Radz and Orta's mistakes, that is my view.

Reading can afford to spend £12mil this summer without our income or £30mil in sales (they havent bought £30mil in in total over the last like 5 years) and have a higher net spend then we do since Radz actually.

But we must spend nout because of ffp, doesnt add up never did.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm Crikey think some people on here went to the Ridsdale school of economics. Yeah let's just pay what another club wants no matter if it is grossly inflated. We would have had an idea of the maximum we think he is worth and if we can't get him for that then we should suddenly pay whatever the seller wants.

As if re investing some of the money made on the tm is following the Risdale model?
We havent purchased one first team player this window. Kent was a long term target, targetted well before it become evident that there was interest in PJ and Roofe. That brought an unexpected 12M into the coffers.

Risdale brought in players we DIDNT need. Despite not having the money to do so. In some cases players Oleary hadnt even considered.
Radz hasn't brought in players we DO need. Despite having the money to do so. In Kent's case someone the manager asked for.

Spot the difference?
'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is there anyone making any sense on this thread at all...it all seems a little foil hat wierd to me
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Apologies weasel, didn't get down this far first time. ..you're excluded from the post above
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:04 pm Is there anyone making any sense on this thread at all...it all seems a little foil hat wierd to me
Keep clapping :clap:
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm just supporting the team I've loved for 50 years...what are you doing?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:04 pm Is there anyone making any sense on this thread at all...it all seems a little foil hat wierd to me
Weird :tup:
'
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Glad you agree