Player Profile : Kiko Casilla - Billysboots, Chapel, Radebe, White Riot & others to vote

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Player Profile : Kiko Casilla

Post by hector »

this is the keeper who got us to the top of the league, and kept us there most of the season..

With Spider boy doing so well, it will keep him on his toes, so keep for me 7/10
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I'd keep and see how he gets on to start with. So many clean sheets last year wasn't just all down to the solid defence. Don't want any repeat of anything unsavoury though. Personally thought he'd played his last game after the Brentford mistake but alas..

7/10
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm Rating out of ten Rat & Ian ??
Sorry Leon 6/10
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:15 pm Sorry Leon 6/10
No problem thanks Rat :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm Rating out of ten Rat & Ian ??
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A tricky one with Kiko. There are some parts of his game which are superb and some areas where he has weaknesses. His reading of the game is unbelievable good. He comes out and clears so much before it becomes dangerous. His passing is similarly of a high standard. Those are 2 key areas needed for a keeper in a Bielsa side. His shot stopping is okay, he has made some great saves but like all keepers there have been times where you wonder if he could have done better, no real out and out keeping errors (such as DeGea has made for example) with the only actual mistake being when he failed to control a pass against Brentford. His ability to deal with crosses is the biggest weakness in his game. All in all though a decent keeper and I would have no problem with him being our starter. However you do wonder if he'd not rather be back home in Spain given all the fallout from the racism incident. We also have fans who still blame him for the Derby match, despite the fact he would have comfortably cleared the ball but for Liam Cooper's panic moment. Those same fans have constantly been on his back just waiting to criticise him, mostly unfairly, at every opportunity. As such if a decent opportunity for him came up then I would let him go as these idiotic fans will simply turn him into a nervous wreck.

7/10
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 am A tricky one with Kiko. There are some parts of his game which are superb and some areas where he has weaknesses. His reading of the game is unbelievable good. He comes out and clears so much before it becomes dangerous. His passing is similarly of a high standard. Those are 2 key areas needed for a keeper in a Bielsa side. His shot stopping is okay, he has made some great saves but like all keepers there have been times where you wonder if he could have done better, no real out and out keeping errors (such as DeGea has made for example) with the only actual mistake being when he failed to control a pass against Brentford. His ability to deal with crosses is the biggest weakness in his game. All in all though a decent keeper and I would have no problem with him being our starter. However you do wonder if he'd not rather be back home in Spain given all the fallout from the racism incident. We also have fans who still blame him for the Derby match, despite the fact he would have comfortably cleared the ball but for Liam Cooper's panic moment. Those same fans have constantly been on his back just waiting to criticise him, mostly unfairly, at every opportunity. As such if a decent opportunity for him came up then I would let him go as these idiotic fans will simply turn him into a nervous wreck.

7/10
So who is your preference for a first choice keeper Weasel ?

Casilla or Meslier
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Someone pointed out ( rightly) that at corners Kiko would instigate friction with the opposition players then come off worst in the exchanges. I think it is a continental thing where keepers are even more protected than in the UK.

It was just that dread in your stomach when the ball would go near him that got to me.

Now he can warm the bench at EL on a big fat salary the same as he did in Spain.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Get rid. Gives me butterflies every time I see him play.

5/10
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Judging by the celebrations the other night, where he cut an isolated and quite sad figure, I get the feeling that he won't be around for long. Still not wholly convinced of his guilt re the racism thing, but we will never know and we don't want or need a stick for other clubs and fans (including our own) to beat us or him with. As such, I'd be inclined to get rid.

In terms of performances, he was our number one for a bulk of the season that saw us crowned champions, so he wasn't throwing them in left, right and centre. Great reader of the game and very comfortable with the ball at his feet, but he gave me palpitations every time the ball was in the air. On balance, I think he rates a 7
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:29 am So who is your preference for a first choice keeper Weasel ?

Casilla or Meslier
Combine the 2 and we'd have a pretty decent keeper. If he stays then he would have to be the starting keeper. I don't think he will though. So put it down as I would give Kiko the nod over Messlier if both stayed just as I think his anticipation and coming out quickly as the sweeper keeper gives him the edge and allows us to play higher up the pitch. We might have played better for example against Barnsley if the defence was able to play higher.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Going to go with a 7. Could have been higher if he'd seen out the whole season, however by the same stroke it could be lower too.

I think Meslier's on the same level but with his whole career in front of him, he has amazing potential to get better but we still don't know how he'll handle adversity, though. Kiko has bounced back from collective drops in form as well as anyone else in the team and that is something you can't really bank on in a younger, less experienced keeper.

I'd be happy with either between the sticks in pure footballing terms. I'll leave the politics to others.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Bielsa may wipe the slate clean and go with experience this season? If he sticks around then he would be back up to Meslier for me. Retain and save a few quid to spend where we need it most. 6/10
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Kiko Casilla

Didn't Brian Clough reckon Peter Shilton got them 18pts (?) a season back in the late 70's (and that was before 3pts for a win). So the value of a decent keeper, especially in the top flight, can not be underestimated - so could well be the difference of staying up or going down.

I guess whether he's a starter or a cheerio Kiko depends on the alternatives. I think it's probably a season too early to make Meslier a PL #1, although he's impressed since coming in.

Inclination is to say thanks and goodbye, but only on the proviso that we first secure an experienced replacement.

Whoever it is though will need to strike up an understanding with a new CB pairing (given it's very unlikely Ben will still be there with Coops).

Over the season I'd give him a 6.5
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Nobody has mentioned their wages - I think it's about 35K a week for Casilla and it was something like 1.5K a week for Meslier. I assume that Meslier has now signed a new contract with a pay rise - but it will still be a fraction of what Casilla is getting. It does bother me that we have been paying sky high wages for Casilla when he was banned, and for JKA when he was injured.
gessa

Post by gessa »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 pm Nobody has mentioned their wages - I think it's about 35K a week for Casilla and it was something like 1.5K a week for Meslier. I assume that Meslier has now signed a new contract with a pay rise - but it will still be a fraction of what Casilla is getting. It does bother me that we have been paying sky high wages for Casilla when he was banned, and for JKA when he was injured.

I believe Mesliers contract is £1.2M over 3 years.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Thank you very much, sadly time to move on

Season rating 6/10

He is not nearly worth the wages he earns and the Charlton situation has been a complete mess. You only have to watch his body language at the trophy lift to see that he is almost certainly on his way out this Summer. I'd be content if I never saw him in a Leeds shirt again.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

6/10

Move on, did ok from a football point of view but i think a parting of ways is best for all parties.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

Gives me collywobbles and the sort of things he got away with in the Champ are definite goals vs Salah, Aguero, Kane et al.

Thanks, but ta ra.

6/10
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I would’ve been happy with him as a starter but that ban will always stick to him so it’s better to move on.

6/10
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..