2019/20 Transfer Rumours & Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 2019/20 Transfer Rumours & Discussion Thread

Post by Cjay »

Think Jansson will go, seems to be this strange obsession within the club to want him out the door.

Like last summer when about thesame time last year actually people were mentioning being told that Jansson and Vieira were being touted around by the club (how desperate is that).

And it turned out to be 100% accurate.

Phillips will go, someone will offer something and Radz will have their hand off.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't get you at times Cjay, you keep banging on about Brentford being brilliant at signing unknowns then selling them for profit yet when we do it you criticise. If we get decent money for KP that is because Bielsa transformed him into that player, we'd have been lucky to have got £100k for him last summer. If PJ is sold and we make a profit then it is great business if we can find a replacement that is as good, younger and cheaper. Until we get into the premiership this has to be our business model as players will always have their agent touting them around and other clubs can give them far higher wages than we can. Sadly last summer the club was right to try to sell PJ and RV - they were our only 2 players worth anything and if we needed the money for a striker, which was a bigger need, then it was the only option. Who knows if PJ had gone as well it might have given us the funds to get Wilson on loan or to have really gone after Vydra instead of Bamford.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:43 pm I don't get you at times Cjay, you keep banging on about Brentford being brilliant at signing unknowns then selling them for profit yet when we do it you criticise. If we get decent money for KP that is because Bielsa transformed him into that player, we'd have been lucky to have got £100k for him last summer. If PJ is sold and we make a profit then it is great business if we can find a replacement that is as good, younger and cheaper. Until we get into the premiership this has to be our business model as players will always have their agent touting them around and other clubs can give them far higher wages than we can. Sadly last summer the club was right to try to sell PJ and RV - they were our only 2 players worth anything and if we needed the money for a striker, which was a bigger need, then it was the only option. Who knows if PJ had gone as well it might have given us the funds to get Wilson on loan or to have really gone after Vydra instead of Bamford.
We havent done it :lol:

We have signed unknowns and cant give them away.

Ive no issue with selling Phillips ( well i do because i dont think we should be selling any key players), what worries me most is 1) Radz gave Vieira away last summer for absolute peanuts, whats to say he wont do the same with Phillips given he is probably desperate for cash (and didnt replace him) and 2) Our recruitment for ages has been largely poor hence why most of our team have been here since pre Radz.

Selling Jansson makes no sense though, the club did try to sell him last summer he said so himself, but why sell your best cb? Opinions aside only one of our 3 cbs is an international and their is a reason for that, he is the best defender we have, why try and sell him? If a bid comes in fair enough but touting around our best players like Radz did last summer and probably will this is really annoying.

Selling Vieira made no sense to , you mention Brentford ( whose recruitment policy i do admire), that being said Brentford are perennial Championship mid table fodder and probably will always be because while individually they are great at replacing players it is very hard to build a team in that manner and be successful.

Is that what we aspire to be? Because we have done a great job of it for 15 years, selling our best players all the time and we havent moved any further forward.

If what happened last season doesnt change the thinking at the cub then nothing will.

Will we really go bankrupt if we dont sell any key players this summer? Teams who have gotten promoted in recent years have generally lost astounding amounts of money, the odd exception but most of them have been £20, 30,40 million in the red.

Because of our history as a fanbase we are terrified of a risk and thus accept mediocre spending just in case the world falls down, it wont, one season not selling our best players wont end the club.

We have to build on last season or we will be back to square one, then again if Radz wouldnt do that in January and be ambitious i doubt he will now.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

My only issue with selling a key player is we'll do it on the cheap rather than demanding top whack. Bristol City get £13m for their sub LB, Brentford demanding £25m for Maupay, yet we'll accept £10m for Clarke and do the usual "it's impossible to turn down at this level" shite we always do. :roll:

I don't mind selling a key player as long as we get top whack. Fed up of us having no backbone, yet teams with less income than us do. Why are we so afraid of saying no all the time?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I take your point Cjay but the key is to find the right players which we haven't for a long time. The hope would be that Bielsa and Orta can between them get more right than they get wrong and the major point is that we also have a manager that can improve players. So if we sign the right young players then with Bielsa's teachings we surely have a better chance of turning them into good or even great players. I bet there were 100 midfielders in league 1 and 2 that fans would have rather we signed last summer and started in place of KP. So if Bielsa can do that with KP think what he can do with a player that he has identified as having all the attributes he wants.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would help if these transfers had to be full disclosure at the time of transfer. Big difference between 10 Mill cash and 10 Mill including add ons, or 10 m in installments
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Selling Pontus Jansson is not really an option neither is selling Phillips. They are irreplaceable. We need to be building our team around them 2. If we let them go then you can forget promotion next season.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:34 pm I take your point Cjay but the key is to find the right players which we haven't for a long time. The hope would be that Bielsa and Orta can between them get more right than they get wrong and the major point is that we also have a manager that can improve players. So if we sign the right young players then with Bielsa's teachings we surely have a better chance of turning them into good or even great players. I bet there were 100 midfielders in league 1 and 2 that fans would have rather we signed last summer and started in place of KP. So if Bielsa can do that with KP think what he can do with a player that he has identified as having all the attributes he wants.
As you say mate the key is to find the right players but again as you say we havent for a long time and that is the concern.

Truth be told we will probably never find the ideal players Bielsa wants because as i expressed with my concerns with Bielsa when he first arrived the best players for BielsaBall are just that, the best players.

That imo is why MB has a relatively bare trophy case, never been in the position to have the ideal players hence he has to try and polish less ideal players which as we saw has limits.

Also 2 players who we were told were players Bielsa really wanted and i imagine identified were Vydra and James and we couldn't or wouldn't pay the money so there is that to.

The bit highlighted i fully agree with which is why i suggested League 1 or as SG said with Gignac maybe players MB knows but like Gignac that comes with its own issues.

Age, price, willingness to drop a league or 2 etc.

Just have to hope the club realise if they convince MB to stay its now or never and back him accordingly, he wont give them a 3rd chance.
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:19 pm My only issue with selling a key player is we'll do it on the cheap rather than demanding top whack. Bristol City get £13m for their sub LB, Brentford demanding £25m for Maupay, yet we'll accept £10m for Clarke and do the usual "it's impossible to turn down at this level" shite we always do. :roll:

I don't mind selling a key player as long as we get top whack. Fed up of us having no backbone, yet teams with less income than us do. Why are we so afraid of saying no all the time?
sold wood on the cheap considering it was paid by burnley in installments spread over three years. how much would we have to pay for a proven 30 goal a season striker ?
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I think keeping Philips is one of the key things for the club this season. Can only see him getting better and better in that position and if he was sold I don’t think we could sign better. 5 new faces are needed, only Harrison is gone from out first 11, plus at least one other I would guess, add to that the youth who can step up,
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Here we are again, the annual Leeds United giveaway to balance the books ' because its what we have to do to survive'. ...bullcrap. The fact is AR is creaming it off and tried to get up with a net spend of a pint & a piss. He's invested in the ground as this will make money for him when he sells up. January saw no outfield investment (he 'tried' to get Dan James in on January 31st) no rush there then. Now he'll offer MB another year and that will be all the coffers used up unless a major player is sold to raise some dosh for the best league 2 has to offer. What other club has come as close to the PL as us and then (probably) has to sell on its most valuable players in order to improve the squad. We are a couple of quality players light to make the final hurdle therefore is it not better to add to the squad as opposed to disrupting it especially as this will be MB's last season with us if we dont go up. We wont go out of business should we not go up so for once AR please grow a pair and give one of the best coaches in the world the tools to do the job and your little pocket will be handsomely rewarded !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:02 pm As you say mate the key is to find the right players but again as you say we havent for a long time and that is the concern.

Truth be told we will probably never find the ideal players Bielsa wants because as i expressed with my concerns with Bielsa when he first arrived the best players for BielsaBall are just that, the best players.

That imo is why MB has a relatively bare trophy case, never been in the position to have the ideal players hence he has to try and polish less ideal players which as we saw has limits.

Also 2 players who we were told were players Bielsa really wanted and i imagine identified were Vydra and James and we couldn't or wouldn't pay the money so there is that to.

The bit highlighted i fully agree with which is why i suggested League 1 or as SG said with Gignac maybe players MB knows but like Gignac that comes with its own issues.

Age, price, willingness to drop a league or 2 etc.

Just have to hope the club realise if they convince MB to stay its now or never and back him accordingly, he wont give them a 3rd chance.
The thing is that from the start Bielsa made the best out of what he had. Now that shows that he doesn't have to have the perfect players and could still do well. Now if for example MB identified players in a way similar to computer games he might have say 20 categories that he would rate the players in (speed, passing ability, composure etc). Now it isn't the case of being Man City and getting players that hit near the top marks in all the categories but a case of signing a player that is higher in the required categories than the player currently at the club - and that is definitely doable whether the player comes from non league or abroad. With a few improvements or players more suited to positions then you would expect the results to improve and even a slight improvement should be enough to get automatic promotion.

Now if we take KP as an example and it never seemed that he was actually Bielsa's preferred player in the defensive midfield position. Remember him dropping him for Forshaw. So on the face of it KP was a big square peg in a round hole, now Forshaw doesn't seem to be the answer either but if Bielsa was able to turn KP into a decent defensive midfielder being sought after by premiership clubs then what can he do if we sign a player that fits into Bielsa's idea of the role better (or even promotes from the youth team)?

That for me is why I don't see a problem if KP and PJ go. If we can use the money to buy in players that tick more of Bielsa's boxes then the team actually improves. This isn't a Bielsa team having to compete against Barcelona or Real Madrid, or Monaco and PSG, this is a Bielsa team in a 2nd tier league. I made the point in a different thread that I feel being a top class player is 10% ability and 90% mental. There are a lot of very talented players that are playing at low levels and all it may need is the right coach to bring it out of them and make them into the player they can be. Bielsa has so far shown us that he can make players play a lot better than we all thought they could.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I expect one big player to go for a large fee, I accept that. However if we're considering letting anymore than that go from a team who finished third, despite having no ffp or financial issues to worry about, then we really do have no ambition whatsoever.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Read on Twitter that Harrison was on £8k a week if he played or £52k a week if he didn't, Christ. No wonder he was always picked. :lol:

That's also another problem I have with PL loans, it's always on their terms and they always want money to loan out their youth. It's why I'd prefer looking abroad.
RcR
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by RcR »

Ain’t saying this is gonna happen but my mate reckons On arsenal forum their saying we might get Nketiah on loan next year.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

RcR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:07 pm Ain’t saying this is gonna happen but my mate reckons On arsenal forum their saying we might get Nketiah on loan next year.
I'd rather we play our own youth tbh. Any loan signings should be experienced.

We were linked with Steven Zuber, Federico Valverde and Ibai Gomez in January, one of those would be excellent.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:51 pm Read on Twitter that Harrison was on £8k a week if he played or £52k a week if he didn't, Christ. No wonder he was always picked. :lol:
I sincerely hope that is untrue, it would explain why Jack the Lad was selected every game even after several ordinary performances, some of them stinkers !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

RcR wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:07 pm Ain’t saying this is gonna happen but my mate reckons On arsenal forum their saying we might get Nketiah on loan next year.
Can't recall him :duno: has he played premiership football ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

History could repeat itself

Norwich interested in Kalvin Phillips now :(
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 pm Can't recall him :duno: has he played premiership football ?
Scored against Burnley on the final day.