Bielsa Calls A Press Conference.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Bielsa Calls A Press Conference.

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm Unless he thought it could cause issues in the stands then he'd be right...
Explain please? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well, if a clear mistake was made then showing it on screen may trigger a problem in the crowd. I'm not sure why there would be another reason for shouting that. Can't see one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 pm Well, if a clear mistake was made then showing it on screen may trigger a problem in the crowd. I'm not sure why there would be another reason for shouting that. Can't see one
What a load of cobblers. It was clearly a hand ball, goal should have been disallowed, Harris knew this and that is why he didn't want it showing :bear:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm What a load of cobblers. It was clearly a hand ball, goal should have been disallowed, Harris knew this and that is why he didn't want it showing :bear:

A referee cant overturn a decision based on what they have seen on the big screen surely? No VAR at the Den.

At Elland Road if the goal was contentious they used to not show it on the big screen.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm A referee cant overturn a decision based on what they have seen on the big screen surely? No VAR at the Den.

At Elland Road if the goal was contentious they used to not show it on the big screen.
Why was Harris asking for it not to be shown then? I am taking this from the angle of him being so integral and honest etc... :bear:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The handball was clearly shown on Millwall's big screen in one corner of the ground, with Silva and Everton players urging the officials to look at the footage for evidence of what had happened

But Oliver was unmoved and awarded the goal, which Walton explained was the correct call in a difficult situation for the referee.

"No, not good, it actually happened to me a few years ago," he added.

"So when you see that in the ground there's nothing the referee can do.

"He can only change his decision before the game restarts if he has had information from one of his assistants or the fourth official.

"In this instance the information came on the big screen, but he doesn't know the authenticity of that; he doesn't know the source of that data.

Former Ref Peter Walton speaking.

So seems the ref couldn't have done anything, but the point is look how desperate Neil Harris was to ensure his teams cheating wasnt spotted.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:54 pm Why was Harris asking for it not to be shown then? I am taking this from the angle of him being so integral and honest etc... :bear:

I'm not disputing the fact that Harris was probably asking for it to be taken off because he didn't want everyone to see it was handball.

Just, as Cjay has confirmed, the ref can't do anything about it. With no VAR available it is down to the 4 of them in the ground, and if they didn't see it, tough!
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Absolutely ridiculous that VAR was only used for some ties, but I guess you can't use the big screen replays in normal matches to change decisions, so it had to stand...

Harris is a w**ker though.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 pm Well, if a clear mistake was made then showing it on screen may trigger a problem in the crowd. I'm not sure why there would be another reason for shouting that. Can't see one
Could only really be applied if Millwall were the away team as because it was a Millwall 'goal' the majority of fans there wouldn't need it as an excuse to make trouble.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:54 pm Why was Harris asking for it not to be shown then? I am taking this from the angle of him being so integral and honest etc... :bear:
You are correct bb. Looking at the footage, his 'team' around him were outraged at the footage being shown on the big screen. When Harris realises he goes ballistic. He obviously doesn't want the opposition to see what cheats he and his football team are....now that really really was cheating of the first order....hypocrites!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm Could only really be applied if Millwall were the away team as because it was a Millwall 'goal' the majority of fans there wouldn't need it as an excuse to make trouble.
Don't agree with this, Harris knows the goal cannot be over turned but he may understand that it could inflate the bad feelings between the two sets of supporters. Apparently it got quite bad? I've seen that posted elsewhere here and the handball goal shown in the ground would have exacerbated that..

Bit surprised to be honest that with all the jumping to conclusions and faux anger at LUFC's issues recently we do exactly the same thing here without all the facts.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm Don't agree with this, Harris knows the goal cannot be over turned but he may understand that it could inflate the bad feelings between the two sets of supporters. Apparently it got quite bad? I've seen that posted elsewhere here and the handball goal shown in the ground would have exacerbated that..

Bit surprised to be honest that with all the jumping to conclusions and faux anger at LUFC's issues recently we do exactly the same thing here without all the facts.
Doubt Harris did it for a noble reason like not wanting the fans getting more worked up tbh.

Marco Silva was desperate for the ref and 4th official to look at the footage on the screen as were the Everton players.

I doubt Harris knew the ref couldn't overturn it, Silva and Everton certain didnt.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well I know it and it's not even my first sport ..Was there or was there not trouble at the Everton/Millwall game?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

““That is how we like it. Let’s be honest, we have to play on that. We have to build on that and build on that atmosphere and I need to stoke up the fans with my pre-match comments and programme notes.

Trying to bring down a big gun is something our fans enjoy and they thrive off,” he said. “I love my players playing on a big occasion in front of our fans. I knew that the atmosphere would be like that today. The 5.30pm kick-off could not have been any better for us.

“I think it is important to this competition that you have managers like me and fan bases like this. We can galvanise and cause an upset. I have a fantastic relationship with our fans, I adore them and they have been very good to me. Occasions like this make you proud to be manager of the club and makes me appreciate the job I have.”

Neil Harris after the game, no condemning of any of the stuff pre game, proud of "the atmosphere" in fact.

Understand your point Faaip but your giving Neil Harris far to much credit.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm not giving Harris any credit, should not have been shown on the big screen full stop.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:09 pm Well I know it and it's not even my first sport ..Was there or was there not trouble at the Everton/Millwall game?
I think in the heat of the match a manager could easily forget it or have a moment of panic, which is what I fell happened here. Everton likewise should have known it couldn't be overturned but were still trying to get the ref to look (and overturn it).

You also don't want the ref to know he has made a mistake as he may try to even things up later in the game and give a decision Everton's way. Two wrongs don't make a right but very easy for the ref to give the 50/50 decision to Everton later in the match.

Like others say I think you give Harris too much credit but you are right it shouldn't have been shown on the big screen.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Isn't there some potential sanction for the club if they show replays of contentious incidents?

Maybe he was worried about that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:58 pm Isn't there some potential sanction for the club if they show replays of contentious incidents?

Maybe he was worried about that.
There is but as we all know these rules don't apply to Millwall. Now if it happened at ER.....
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:11 pm There is but as we all know these rules don't apply to Millwall. Now if it happened at ER.....

We did get a fine for it once, early 00's.