What are you doing today ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:47 am So is Ossett (next to Horbury, 4 miles east of Wakefield) and Sharlston (4 miles west of Wakefield on the A645), where I grew up, and I always prefer Haddock to Cod.
I've always found that it's not where the fish shop is, it's the excellence or otherwise of the batter, and the way excess batter is removed after dipping but before being fried. Bit like Yorkshire pudding, which is (as all of you know) just good batter, but there's an art to it.
I can do both excellent fried fish and YP because I understand the batter.

Strange, but I find myself salivating - can't imagine why! :mrgreen:
Chippy Woods in Sparable Lane, Agbrigg do gorgeous fish and chips....in beef dripping. Always have to treat myself when I'm up at my folks :scar1
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:22 am As a young soldier I was stationed at Catterick several times, once in trade training, and whilst a member of the White Helmets,

We used to regularly grab a minibus and pile off down to Leyburn on the piss.... this had several advantages over the usual drinking places..
there were no other squadies
lots of untapped totty
and we were not banned from any pubs (well to start with anyhoo)

From what I remember it is a lovely place :mrgreen:

I'm pretty certain you remember very little of that time :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:47 am So is Ossett (next to Horbury, 4 miles east of Wakefield) and Sharlston (4 miles west of Wakefield on the A645), where I grew up, and I always prefer Haddock to Cod.
I've always found that it's not where the fish shop is, it's the excellence or otherwise of the batter, and the way excess batter is removed after dipping but before being fried. Bit like Yorkshire pudding, which is (as all of you know) just good batter, but there's an art to it.

Haddock every time Norm :tup:
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 pm I'm pretty certain you remember very little of that time :)
You could be right :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Agree about the batter Norm, I prefer haddock too!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

whiteswan wrote:

Chippy Woods in Sparable Lane, Agbrigg do gorgeous fish and chips....in beef dripping. Always have to treat myself when I'm up at my folks :scar1
Forgot to mention that Swan - forget the Vegetable Oil or whatever other substitute is used.

I grew up with everything fried in lard and nothing fat-free and neither my dad nor mum (nor myself either) have or had circulatory problems.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Has to be tempura batter ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You can't beat fresh line caught cod ..but agree from chippies then the Haddock is the better choice. Used to love Rock Salmon but that is from an endangered shark species I think so would not eat that right now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm Has to be tempura batter ..
You lightweight :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:24 pm Forgot to mention that Swan - forget the Vegetable Oil or whatever other substitute is used.

I grew up with everything fried in lard and nothing fat-free and neither my dad nor mum (nor myself either) have or had circulatory problems.
My mother in law still cooks in lard or dripping, 87 and still very healthy. Meanwhile my mum on all kinds of good for you diets the last 30 years ..very poor health

now of course 75% of that will be genetics and sheer bloody good luck but I think they're now saying we need animal fat in out diet for balance
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:50 pm You can't beat fresh line caught cod ..but agree from chippies then the Haddock is the better choice. Used to love Rock Salmon but that is from an endangered shark species I think so would not eat that right now

15 plus odd years ago, I used to do a lot of diving off the Dorset coast, Rock Salmon were a plenty, so easy to catch by hand, most times I'd bring one home, my brother in law cooked them to perfection. The unfortunate thing was they'd get caught up in lobster pots, get pulled in and killed for the sake of it, rightly or wrongly if we saw any in the pots, we'd cut the band on the pot and free them, killing to feed compared to killing for the sake of it, no contest.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Today I’ve had the thankless task of taking the Christmas tree down and putting all the decorations away in the loft. The problem with these artificial ones is they rip your hands and arms to shreds, also they never go back in the box without a huge struggle. At least the room looks three times bigger now
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Work for me today & tomorrow as I'll be occupied elsewhere on Monday :scar1 will be fit for nothing on Tuesday although I have a bowls match in the afternoon
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:38 pm Today I’ve had the thankless task of taking the Christmas tree down and putting all the decorations away in the loft. The problem with these artificial ones is they rip your hands and arms to shreds, also they never go back in the box without a huge struggle. At least the room looks three times bigger now
Something for Jill to look forward too on Monday :lol:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Star Wars movie.

Well there is two hours of my life I will never see again.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Taking my new car for a test drive :car:

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 08.48.32.png
Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 08.48.32.png (163.94 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
gessa

Post by gessa »

Mrs64 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 am Taking my new car for a test drive :car:

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 08.48.32.png

Enjoy.

It is illegal to drive without a number plate though ;-)
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am Enjoy.

It is illegal to drive without a number plate though ;-)
Cheeky Ges ;-)

Leon is really envious btw :lol:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Today I shall be mostly logging in to MOT.

Three times in four hours so far.

Rememmmmber meeeee...
gessa

Post by gessa »

Mrs64 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:28 pm Cheeky Ges ;-)

Leon is really envious btw :lol:

Make sure you rub it in every time you get home from driving it. :)