Bailey Peacock-Farrell

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Bailey Peacock-Farrell

Post by hector »

come on Chilli,
get down off that fence, you will get splinters in your arse....

Tell us what you really think...

:mrgreen:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 pm I really liked BPF but there were two things

1) He didn't fit Bielsa's style of playing as a sweeper

2) He was pretty inexperienced

For the same reason BPF left, is the reason why I'd rather see Meslier as backup for at least another year
with kiko as number 1?! does he have to throw the ball in our goal for people to realise how much of a liability he is?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

With the sweeper style keeper that Bielsa wants there aren't that many top class ones around which is why Liverpool and City spent huge amounts on Edersen and Allison.

So what you have to consider with Kiko is that whilst he may not be great in some areas and as such maybe that cost us 5 goals last season (taking into account being beaten as his near post as a supposed error). So you then have to balance it out for the fact his quick release and distribution may have helped us to create a couple more goals than we would with a 'normal' keeper. You then have the times when he read the danger and was out quickly to clear the danger before the striker could get to the ball and maybe that saved us another 3 goals. Then you add the fact that because he can anticipate danger well then it allows the whole defence to push higher up the pitch which is integral to Bielsa's way of playing - hard to quantify how many goals that is worth but it is vital for us to be able to press high and not leave bigger gaps between forwards and midfield and midfield and defence.

So you take the negatives and add the positives and the amount of goals he helps us create and the style of play he enables us to play far outweigh the few mistakes or shaky moments.

BPF had decent potential as a shot stopper. Not his fault he was thrust into the team while he was still learning. But he easily cost us as many goals as Kiko has with his poor ability on long range shots. And there was no upside in terms of the positive contribution to the creating of goals, snuffing out of danger or enabling us to play the Bielsa way.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Seriously?

We sold him as he wasn't good enough and we certainly haven't missed him.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

weasel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm With the sweeper style keeper that Bielsa wants there aren't that many top class ones around which is why Liverpool and City spent huge amounts on Edersen and Allison.

So what you have to consider with Kiko is that whilst he may not be great in some areas and as such maybe that cost us 5 goals last season (taking into account being beaten as his near post as a supposed error). So you then have to balance it out for the fact his quick release and distribution may have helped us to create a couple more goals than we would with a 'normal' keeper. You then have the times when he read the danger and was out quickly to clear the danger before the striker could get to the ball and maybe that saved us another 3 goals. Then you add the fact that because he can anticipate danger well then it allows the whole defence to push higher up the pitch which is integral to Bielsa's way of playing - hard to quantify how many goals that is worth but it is vital for us to be able to press high and not leave bigger gaps between forwards and midfield and midfield and defence.

So you take the negatives and add the positives and the amount of goals he helps us create and the style of play he enables us to play far outweigh the few mistakes or shaky moments.

BPF had decent potential as a shot stopper. Not his fault he was thrust into the team while he was still learning. But he easily cost us as many goals as Kiko has with his poor ability on long range shots. And there was no upside in terms of the positive contribution to the creating of goals, snuffing out of danger or enabling us to play the Bielsa way.
All fair points weasel mate, however
BPF as you said, not his fault he was thrown in. But he has gone from strength to strength.
Shot stopper v additional sweeper role... last year we could afford to give up some goals, this year we cannot. I would rather have a shot stopper and rely on the defense to do its job if we cannot have both. Kiko has also misjudged (on more than one occasion) the additional sweeper duties.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:34 pm All fair points weasel mate, however
BPF as you said, not his fault he was thrown in. But he has gone from strength to strength.
Shot stopper v additional sweeper role... last year we could afford to give up some goals, this year we cannot. I would rather have a shot stopper and rely on the defense to do its job if we cannot have both. Kiko has also misjudged (on more than one occasion) the additional sweeper duties.
Not sure how you say BPF has gone from strength to strength when he hasn't played any club football since leaving Leeds and one good game for NI is hardly conclusive - sometimes as a keeper they impress when they are busier than a keeper who may have nothing to do for 89 minutes but then faces an unstoppable shot.

Kiko has not misjudged a single time in his sweeper role, every time he has come outside the penalty area he has got to the ball first - the only time he didn't was when Cooper got there first in the play-offs but Kiko was comfortably getting there well before the Derby player.

This team cannot have just a shot stopper keeper, the tactics don't allow it. If we are to improve we need a keeper similar to Kiko but better at dealing with crosses. If you have some names throw them Orta's way.

BPF during his time at Leeds wasn't able to do the sweeper role. When he also started allowing long range shots to squirm their way into the net his time was up. Burnley have done wonders with their keepers, Heaton and Pope especially so it would appear BPF is in good hands there and they will likely get the best out of him (although they didn't really get Joe Hart playing anywhere near his previous standard). They won't be able to turn him into a sweeper keeper though so Klopp, Guardiola and Bielsa won't be coming in for him.

I would say that BPF made more errors resulting in goals in the half season he spent in net that Kiko has done in 1 1/2 seasons.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I very much respect your opinion weasel... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Corners, set pieces, committing to attack a player in the box hesitating then dancing around like a minstrel, not yielding to an outfielder the captain at that, on one occasion... maybe I am to hard on him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kiko has his strengths, he has his weaknesses too. For me the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. Not sure yet what we have in Messlier but would have no problem if either of them started in goal next season.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:31 pm I very much respect your opinion weasel... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Corners, set pieces, committing to attack a player in the box hesitating then dancing around like a minstrel, not yielding to an outfielder the captain at that, on one occasion... maybe I am to hard on him.
Personally, I think you're spot on Smudge.
It fills me with dread to think we may be starting the season with him.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier will start. Kiko a perfectly decent back up until he's not
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

weasel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:46 pm Kiko has his strengths, he has his weaknesses too. For me the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. Not sure yet what we have in Messlier but would have no problem if either of them started in goal next season.
respect your opinion too but i don't agree (and I don't think many leeds fans will either)

kiko will be under a lot more pressure from crosses etc in the prem as we will have to defend more - if he cost us 5 goals in the championship, how many will he cost us in the prem...5 to 10?! that's a crazy amount. Meslier's distribution is pretty good and he can easily learn to adapt to the sweeper role (that kiko cost us just as much as cooper in the play off semis against derby - they were both getting there before the derby player they just didn't communicate with one another). For me, we 100 per cent cannot (and we won't I'm sure) start with a keeper who will be a liability on crosses/corners throughout a game, it would expose us so much and every single point this season will be vital.

Also, given the faith in kiko last year, I expect meslier to be allowed at least 10 mistakes and then to only get dropped if he gets banned!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Kiko makes me nervous just watching from the stands/on tv, especially on crosses, so I’m pretty sure his defensive colleagues will have the same negative feelings.

I think, although obviously not as experienced, Meslier is already as good if not a better keeper in most departments. Maybe not quite as good shot stopping wise but his distribution is just as good, commands his area better and he’s better on crosses. It doesn’t look as if we are going to be able to sell Kiko unfortunately, due to his excessive wages, but I’d still have Meslier as no1.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

gessa wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 pm Personally, I think you're spot on Smudge.
It fills me with dread to think we may be starting the season with him.
It fills me with dread every time the ball goes near him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:46 am Meslier will start. Kiko a perfectly decent back up until he's not
This.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

How about BPF today?

Sorry
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Little he could do with any of the goals, have you seen them? Haaland / Sorloth on fire, what a strikeforce for Dortmund if they end up with them both.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

BPF is decent young Keeper, people shouting "he is s**t" are the same people that also call for young players to get a chance (and were prob calling Robinson shite years ago too).

Younger players make more mistakes, if you want a younger keeper you either live with the mistakes or they never play.

It's just the way it works.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ooops :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was put in a really poor situation tbf to him when he was here.

He then got a bit arrogant and thought he was better than he was.

Now he is doing this in League 1 :oops: :oops:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Swannie won't be pleased.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 am Swannie won't be pleased.
Swannie has so far ignored the blatant bias (worse than the FA against Leeds United I might add) that Cjay has against my boy