Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by billysboots »

weasel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 pm Simply another England hangover for KP. Playing a totally different way for England and then can't seem to get back into the Leeds way. We have struggled against Potter teams in theback so I think it was more likely Bielsa trying a different formation rather than laying down the law to KP. The main difference for KP playing for England is that the majority of matches England play they are head and shoulders above the opposition, playing for Leeds we have to be at or best every week and we aren't playing teams hugely inferior to us.
I agree with this……
There Is Only One United.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

rondownunder wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 am If KP joins Liverpool in January I won't be shocked.
…..and this.

He’s mixing with lads playing for England who are on 4 times his wages and playing in the Champions League.
He’s had his head turned.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm never shocked by any move in football.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I think he's getting used to the stardom now, the silly Pirlo tab, believing all the hype, yea he's a cracking player but he needs to buckle down again imho, probably Bielsa' too as he seems very frustrated with him for some reason.
2 adverts I've seen him in now, he needs to forget all the off the field bollocks and get back to being a footballer.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:56 pm Simply another England hangover for KP. Playing a totally different way for England and then can't seem to get back into the Leeds way. We have struggled against Potter teams in theback so I think it was more likely Bielsa trying a different formation rather than laying down the law to KP. The main difference for KP playing for England is that the majority of matches England play they are head and shoulders above the opposition, playing for Leeds we have to be at or best every week and we aren't playing teams hugely inferior to us.
Great points, Weasel :tup:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mentalcase wrote:I think he's getting used to the stardom now, the silly Pirlo tab, believing all the hype, yea he's a cracking player but he needs to buckle down again imho, probably Bielsa' too as he seems very frustrated with him for some reason.
2 adverts I've seen him in now, he needs to forget all the off the field bollocks and get back to being a footballer.
It was always going to happen once the call up to England came along. He's definitely gone off the boil this season , Leeds haven't helped his cause with the lack of summer investment in midfield and our current form and league position will have the top clubs lining their cheque book up hoping for his signature.... same goes for Rapha. Top players will not be happy just to tread water , they want to compete at the very highest level and that's where they'll be next season unlike Leeds United unfortunately.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

I feel he's not being managed well at the moment. He's being asked to play out of his natural and most effective position far too often. I wouldn't be surprised if he does go tbh considering all the factors. It's certainly a fickle game and all the badge kissing is often a hollow gesture.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Playing out of position is not helping, if the team was winning with him in defence it would be different.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We went three seasons under MB with very few draws, only makes sense we'd get a string of them at some point. May not be winning but only lost one in the last five

Yes we played poorly yesterday, (for the first time this season imo in a whole game,) conditions didn't help and Brighton are a better team than most give credit for and well managed. In fact there are no easy games in this division.

We have two litmus games coming up at ER now, that may tell us something.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Where he’s been playing for the last two games IMO, is his best position, not quite a CB but a deep-lying DM.
He reads the game better, gets caught out less and can also do his Pirlo impressions because he has a fuller field of vision.
Where he plays for England he does it well cos he has the stamina to do that and Rice behind him as DM.
I actually think KP would be even better by swapping with Rice but that’s my opinion.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Overman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 pm I feel he's not being managed well at the moment. He's being asked to play out of his natural and most effective position far too often.
He certainly is but by Southgate not Bielsa. He got into the England squad because Bielsa converted him into a defensive midfielder, quite often dropping deep to be in a 2 man central defensive unit when needed.

Totally different playing as 1 of 2 defensive midfielders for England when playing the majority of matches against teams that have only 1 or 2 players that are known of outside their country. In those type of matches you aren't in the team to defend or be a defensive shield, you are one of ten outfield players trying to find a way to win a corner so England can score.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm I dont think Bielsa will have taken kindly to KP questioning our game management last week.

We know how MB is whenever his methods are questioned.

To be fair, a lot of players talk about 'game management', referring to the players on the pitch managing the game. Not sure it was a direct criticism of Bielsa, more about what the players as a group didn't do....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hope Kalvin's injury is not serious, we totally lost control after his departure.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mike McGrath has confirmed that KP has picked up a hamstring injury and could feasibly miss the next 2 months.

The Telegraph journalist is a very respected source so presumably he has checked this.

We have played 12 Premier league games without KP since promotion.

Winning just 16.7% and taking just 7 points from 12 games which over a season would be 22 points.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:38 pm Mike McGrath has confirmed that KP has picked up a hamstring injury and could feasibly miss the next 2 months.

The Telegraph journalist is a very respected source so presumably he has checked this.

We have played 12 Premier league games without KP since promotion.

Winning just 16.7% and taking just 7 points from 12 games which over a season would be 22 points.
Well, if that's the case then the management/coaching lot need to get over relying on Kalvin and get midfield sorted, earn their crust. It's ridiculous to have to rely on one player :x
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: Kalvin Phillips- Respected journalist confirms injury rumours.

Post by Overman »

With Kalvin out and possibly Bamford, this is a huge concern particularly with the games coming up. Our midfield with the likes of Forshaw and Klich really aren't going to cut against these sides. Other than Rapha, there really isn't a lot in our armament.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Overman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 am With Kalvin out and possibly Bamford, this is a huge concern particularly with the games coming up. Our midfield with the likes of Forshaw and Klich really aren't going to cut against these sides. Other than Rapha, there really isn't a lot in our armament.
Stop with the negativity Sir, didn't you notice that Roberts has scored and apparently he's class, surely he can pull us through.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Not being funny, but when is Koch back? Marcelo is likely to want to use Pascal in DM alongside Forshaw rather than bringing Bate in (too soon, opposition too strong next few games).

The other option, and my preference, would be to give Charlie Cresswell a run in the team. Koch will be rusty, at least Charlie's been playing & training.

Difficult few weeks incoming.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 am Not being funny, but when is Koch back? Marcelo is likely to want to use Pascal in DM alongside Forshaw rather than bringing Bate in (too soon, opposition too strong next few games).

The other option, and my preference, would be to give Charlie Cresswell a run in the team. Koch will be rusty, at least Charlie's been playing & training.

Difficult few weeks incoming.
Koch will already be in front of Cresswell in Bielsa's mind whether he's fit or not, Davy

MB obviously doesn't trust Charlie or else he'd have used him against Brentford.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 am With Kalvin out and possibly Bamford, this is a huge concern particularly with the games coming up. Our midfield with the likes of Forshaw and Klich really aren't going to cut against these sides. Other than Rapha, there really isn't a lot in our armament.
Dallas is more useful to us in midfield.

Klich is on the wane, he'll be gone in the summer unless he recovers a sudden burst of his old form, can't see it though as his legs have gone!