Best Leeds team of last 10 years?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Best Leeds team of last 10 years?

Post by Oscar »

Thought I would try something different, was having a debate about this at the Brighton game :lol:.
i.e. your best Leeds starting 11 from 2005-2015? (loan signings not allowed :lol:).
In my opinion:
GK- Neil Sullivan- overall probably the most consistent goalkeeper of the last 10 years only real mistake I can remember was in the play off final in 2006. Also have to mention Alex McCarthy who was on loan to us for a few months he was sensational and put in some of the best goalkeeping performances I have ever seen during his time at Leeds.
RB- Gaetano Berardi- same as Sullivan probably the most consistent right back we have had over the last 10 years, also would mention Eric Lichaj who was on loan to us for a couple of months.
CB- Matthew Kilgallon- quality defender and played a huge part in us making the play off final sadly when he was sold to Sheffield United we always looked like we were going to be relegated after we didn't really have a consistent defender after that.
CB- Patrick Kisnorbo- such a shame he got that injury, however, the games he did play for us before the injury showed what a top class defender he was, performances vs Man Utd and Liverpool in the cups were the stand out ones.
LB- Charlie Taylor- excellent going forward and defensively.
RM- Robert Snodgrass- he scored and assisted goals consistently his decision making was exceptional.
CM- Jonny Howson- one of the best captains Leeds has ever had (after Billy and Gordon Strachan) he was that good a captain, grabbed some crucial goals and could probably play with consistency anywhere on the pitch.
CM- Shaun Derry- a close one between him, Bradley Johnson and Lewis Cook, however, due to consistency and his ability to perform the holding role I will go for Shaun Derry.
LM- Max Gradel- easy choice, he never got the credit he deserved in my opinion.
STR- Jermaine Beckford- consistent and scored goals for fun he scored in the big games as well i.e. Bristol Rovers, Man Utd, Tottenham etc.
STR- Ross McCormack- a tough one it was between Ross and Becchio, however, I had to go for Ross as he played in the championship for his whole Leeds career.
Do you agree, whats would your team be?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Best Leeds team of last 10 years?

Post by 1964white »

Will give this one some thought Gary :tup:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

You had better re-think that Becchio decision or you'll be hearing about it.

:-D :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote:You had better re-think that Becchio decision or you'll be hearing about it.

:-D :-D

The shawshed revival?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Sullivan

Byran
Kisnorbo
Naylor
Lewis

Snodgrass
Delph
Howson
Gradel

Becchio
Beckford
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Really struggling with the FB/CB positions
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:Really struggling with the FB/CB positions
That was where I struggled too.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:
That was where I struggled too.
A rarity over the last ten years but i have four full-backs in mind who have endured golden periods, love them all !

Byram, Berardi, Taylor & Mickey Gray

I could probably eliminate Gray as he was only on loan to us, nevertheless his contribution at the time was immense !
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:
A rarity over the last ten years but i have four full-backs in mind who have endured golden periods, love them all !

Byram, Berardi, Taylor & Mickey Gray

I could probably eliminate Gray as he was only on loan to us, nevertheless his contribution at the time was immense !
Oh my problem was the opposite, I was struggling to come up with quality defenders.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Martyn

Kelly
Radebe
Fairclough
Dorigo

Bowyer
Batty
Dacourt

Smith
Viduka
Bridges

f**k any other team
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Only Gary Kelly has played for Leeds in the last 10 years?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I've also made my mind up on one of our full-backs

He just won't go away :-D my current hero has to be in the team, sod his pretenders :wink:
Gregsta
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gregsta »

GK. Schmeichel

RB. Byram
CB. Kisnorbo
CB. Kilgallon
LB. Taylor

RM. Gradel
CM. Howson
CM. Johnson
LM. Snodgrass

ST. Beckford
ST. Becchio
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

------------Schmeichel-----------
Berardi-Kisnorbo-Pearce-Taylor
Snoddy-Howson-Johnson-Gradel
-------Beckford--Becchio---------

I really liked Andy Lonergan and I think it was a big mistake getting rid of him, but I think Schmeichel was the most complete keeper we've had recently.

Quite harsh on Byram, as he had a really good first season at RB, and is still excellent in that position, but Berardi looks the finished article - hopefully Sam will end up like him (if he stays...).

Centre back is a really tough one. Went for Pearce alongside the obvious choice of Kisnorbo, as he always gave 100% and put his body on the line... We've had a lot of triers in that position over the years!

Taylor has been outstanding since breaking into the first team and only he and Warnock came close to contention at LB.

No surprise that our promotion midfield and attack are most peoples' choices... I have faith that Cook will definitely replace Johnson on this list and perhaps Mowatt will get in there too. Can't see any of our strikers or wingers displacing the others soon though.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Schmeichel

Berardi Kisnorbo Bamba Taylor

Snoddy Delph Howson Johnson Gradel

Beckford
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote:------------Schmeichel-----------
-------Beckford--Beckford--------
Pearce :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote:------------Schmeichel-----------
-------Beckford--Becchio---------

I really liked Andy Lonergan and I think it was a big mistake getting rid of him, but I think Schmeichel was the most complete keeper we've had recently.

Quite harsh on Byram, as he had a really good first season at RB, and is still excellent in that position, but Berardi looks the finished article - hopefully Sam will end up like him (if he stays...).

Centre back is a really tough one. Went for Pearce alongside the obvious choice of Kisnorbo, as he always gave 100% and put his body on the line... We've had a lot of triers in that position over the years!

Taylor has been outstanding since breaking into the first team and only he and Warnock came close to contention at LB.

No surprise that our promotion midfield and attack are most peoples' choices... I have faith that Cook will definitely replace Johnson on this list and perhaps Mowatt will get in there too. Can't see any of our strikers or wingers displacing the others soon though.

Agree re Lonergan, I don't think we've had a better keeper here since the fall. Shame he didn't really get a shot
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote:Pearce :shock:
Explained my reasoning... Bamba was brilliant on loan last year, but he's not reached that level again this season so far.

Pearce saved us a lot of times and was part of a defence which had no cover from the midfield whatsoever. I think him and Lees were unfairly maligned for their entire time here tbh...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Explained my reasoning... Bamba was brilliant on loan last year, but he's not reached that level again this season so far.

Pearce saved us a lot of times and was part of a defence which had no cover from the midfield whatsoever. I think him and Lees were unfairly maligned for their entire time here tbh...
I think Pearce is only 27yo & he is struggling to command a regular place in Wigan's first team playing League One football

JP made far too many mistakes that went unnoticed often getting done for pace or caught out of position, average CB for me mate. Bamba is far better than Pearce will ever be imo !
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote:I think Pearce is only 27yo & he is struggling to command a regular place in Wigan's first team playing League One football

JP made far too many mistakes that went unnoticed often getting done for pace or caught out of position, average CB for me mate. Bamba is far better than Pearce will ever be imo !
Bamba mistakes were credited for most of the goals we conceded at the start of the season and he's caught out of position (like when he charges up field)! You're right, Bamba probably is better, but like I said there's not much to pick from.

Kis and Naylor were probably the most successful partnership, but they still shipped a load of goals. Lees, Pearce, Cooper, Bellusci, Bamba... All had/have mistakes in them. Maybe Lees should be in there instead of Pearce then, as he's gone on to be very successful at Wednesday, being a mainstay of their team which conceded one of the fewest goal totals in the league last year and kept a clean sheet vs. Arsenal last night?

We've had some shockers actually... O'Brien, Collins, Bruce (though went on to do well at Hull), Žaliūkas.