Formation

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Formation

Post by CptCrash »

Put this on the end of another thread but how about going 3 at the back for a game or two:

Silvestre

Bellusci
Wootton
Bamba (in a central 3, Cooper an option in there too)

Taylor
Byram (as wing backs)

Cook
Mowatt
Murphy (allow them to be really flexible/interchange roles)

Sharp
Antenucci

I really think it could fire. B McD tried it of course midway thru' his term but Byram has now played much more in an advanced role and Taylor would be a natural too.

Worth a go for me.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Formation

Post by lufc1304 »

I like the look of that line-up. Both Antenucci and Sharp will score goals if there is a decent supply line, and Byram and Cook could provide the natural width to do that. Provided they were disciplined, and didn't leave the back 3 exposed, this could work. Gotta be worth a bash now we have nothing to really play for.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Played three at the back in the 2nd half v Blackburn due to Austin's indiscipline

Didn't work as our CB's got pulled out of position & we got torn apart although strangely Wootton was subbed for Cooper to play in the three. System would mean Berardi who has been excellent apart from the Wolves game would lose his place
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

only works if your midfield can drop back and help out in defence when the wing backs get caught out.

Rather see a 4-4-2.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:I like the look of that line-up. Both Antenucci and Sharp will score goals if there is a decent supply line, and Byram and Cook could provide the natural width to do that. Provided they were disciplined, and didn't leave the back 3 exposed, this could work. Gotta be worth a bash now we have nothing to really play for.
Have my reservations with Sharp, unconvinced !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:only works if your midfield can drop back and help out in defence when the wing backs get caught out.

Rather see a 4-4-2.
Indeed Mav, we got overrun with five in midfield v Wolves, i dread to think how much space the opposition would get if we played three at the back, i suspect we'd get murdered
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We also pulled back a 3-1 deficit at Molineux playing 4-5-1 so i doubt Redders will change a formation that has served us well
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I can't see Redders trying out new formations in the remaining games, he's doing everything himself according to the reports especially since ST suspension so he's going to be concentrating on the basics not new formations.

I for one would be happy for him to give new ideas a go but appreciate it's not me stood there if it all goes wrong so perhaps sticking with what seemed to work is the way forward but as he's already done give a few fringe players a go to see what they can do :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:Played three at the back in the 2nd half v Blackburn due to Austin's indiscipline

Didn't work as our CB's got pulled out of position & we got torn apart although strangely Wootton was subbed for Cooper to play in the three. System would mean Berardi who has been excellent apart from the Wolves game would lose his place

big difference playing it at a pinch and training for it an playing it for half a season...

442 looks weak these days too many teams with a 5 man midfield which over runs a 442
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andywatson »

I've been saying for weeks we need to use this time to test new ideas. Whether 3/5/2 or 5/3/2 depending on your view is the answer isn't important. Just try things- even if it's to learn they don't work.

Ratscoot raises an interesting point though- why try new things if you are going to make your life difficult. This is characteristic of weak organisations and management. Good management encourages creative thinking and risk taking- and I agree with Ratscoot that LUFC does not feel like a place that this would be rewarded.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

Not too sure how successful recently (in our league) 442 has been re getting teams promoted - we need a stato to get on that! I guess the answer is to be able to have a couple of systems that suit the reality of the players you have and can be worked on over time in training. As we have no wingers but do (in Taylor and Byram) have a couple of seemingly natural wing backs I think its worth looking at. Really do.

Fully agree its harsh on Berardi who has impressed greatly recently altho' I sense he (and Aidy White if ever..........) could do a job in the system too. His cross at FFC for the first was sublime.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Doesn't work in today's football climate
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I would say a 4-4-2 where the inside forward has licence to roam would be ideal for us, we have the players for the formation and does not give to much width to hit the defence with.

Any formation is about getting the best from your squad, so I dont care what others have done tbh.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

My tuppence on formation, for what it's worth.

With the right type of striker, which isn't easy to get, a 4-5-1 suits us.

We've got central midfielders who, on their day, match anyone in this league - Mowatt, Cook, Murphy. Adequately backed up by Austin, Sloth etc. We can control the midfield in most games and the 3 central players seems to be the reason for this.

Out wide we've made two wingers out of two full backs. Both are equally good at defending and attacking. Supplement this with two more full backs and you have an excellent system where you can almost rotate the attack/defence on each wing to keep attacks coming. I've been crying out all season for wingers but at the Blackburn game Taylor proved he can take people on and get crosses in. I don't know if for the money we would be offering (read: nothing) we could get better wingers in.

We've got clean sheets galore with 4 at the back. You watch other attacks in the league; Boro, Forrest, Wolves, etc. and they like to attack the wings with pace. A back three would be drawn out of position too many times to cope with those attacks.

It would be nice to have a 3-5-2 'in the locker' and can work wonders against teams with no width. The key is to match your opponent, but against the best teams in the league, I would suggest that's a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. The former suits the strikers we have, the latter the midfield.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

I think the problem with our 4-5-1 formation at the moment is that we dont have a 'Lone' striker. I think the strikers we have at our disposal all need to be part of a two (i hate to use the word partnership because i dont think theyve existed for a long time)