Despair with MOT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Despair with MOT

Post by 1964white »

Right now i despair with this site & have shown my disgust of late by keeping a low profile apart from the MD Thread which is close to my heart

The warning thread where no one had the right to reply smacked of sheer hypocrisy & is an absolute joke !

Is it any wonder decent/informative/intelligent posters are walking away from MOT as 1000's have done so over the years.

I know personally of others who feel the same way & are seriously considering whether to remain a member of MOT

Take heed mods & act now before it's too late
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Despair with MOT

Post by weasel »

Hope you don't leave. If I see a thread started by you I always read it and even if i don't agree it is usually well thought out and written.
Senor El Weasel
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The thought of you and other valued posters leaving the forum makes me despair. We need intelligent and erudite posters for this place to thrive. Fell free to PM me with your thoughts on what is wrong and what can be done to improve the site.
Armleywhite

Post by Armleywhite »

Bugger me, talk about sharing of consciousness. :) I was going to post something along the same lines, but didn't quite know where to start. Well said Leon.

My issue at the moment is the lack of tolerance. The voting thread is testament to that. No longer, or so it seems is there a "discussion" on differing personal aspects. It's insults or really sarcastic comments (Yes I know I fall guilty of that one at times) instead of allowing another their own path to follow with respect to their beliefs.

I no longer feel a part of MOTforum as i used to and the only reason I don't completely walk away is that it's like a lover that has outgrown you and you stay because you hope it gets better.
MOTliam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MOTliam »

I've only been writing on the forum for a short time. However before I actually joined the forum I read it for around a year, and the reason I wanted to join was because of the community nature that the forum felt like. I think it got worst when personal battles relating to meat took it to another level. People are always going to disagree on things, and it takes a strong person to just accept that and not call them a moron. I mean I despise UKIP, BNP, eating veggie, homophobia (just to name a few things that have come up on here recently) and I'll try to argue sensibly against them rather than just shooting someone down.
Can't we take it back to the simple things like things we all like? Leeds, good music and good company? and things that we all hate, Manchester United :!:

P.s. i don't think the rolling eyes emoticon ever helps. It just exacerbates it
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

I'm not sure what suddenly brought on this thread to be honest. Twiggs posted his message a while ago.

And when you say that the Mods/Admin must act what do you mean?

What specifically do you want them to act against?
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Some of the things I see on MOT frustrate me, but do not cause me to despair of the site as a community. In any group, be it drinking buddies or family, you will have disagreements and differing points of view. It's part of life, and you explain your views, expand on them and flesh them out if necessary and move along. It's getting such things out in the open that allow a community to grow and evolve.

The only thing I would like to see is people being more willing to accommodate those differing views and accept that other people may not agree without recourse to 'you don't understand' type statements. As frustrated as I might get at an opinion I respect people's right to think differently to me. I just wish that everyone could recognise that their way is not the only way and that where opinion is involved there is no right or wrong answer in most cases. But that's wishful thinking.
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

I sincerely hope that you don't go 64, or any of the other more regular posters. For me personally, as somebody who is unable to attend games regularly at ER, it is through you guys and girls that I feel much closer to Leeds United than I ever have done before in my life. It's great to be able to read so many stories, thoughts and feelings about LUFC from those that attend regularly and have been lucky enough to be following for years. I miss the posts of WR since his departure, if anymore decide to leave then this forum will no longer be worth reading.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

ldj90 wrote:I sincerely hope that you don't go 64, or any of the other more regular posters. For me personally, as somebody who is unable to attend games regularly at ER, it is through you guys and girls that I feel much closer to Leeds United than I ever have done before in my life. It's great to be able to read so many stories, thoughts and feelings about LUFC from those that attend regularly and have been lucky enough to be following for years. I miss the posts of WR since his departure, if anymore decide to leave then this forum will no longer be worth reading.
I share your thoughts and agree as well , As much as from time to time i disagree with some posts i do not verbally attack anyone swearing wise where everyone else can read them , i just PM someone on disagreements and move on , to except agree to disagree . I'm not perfect far from it but 1 thing i have never done is verbally attacked someone .
I have grown to like alot of Forumers here and would be sad to see you go 64 if that is how your feeling .
There are topics that we will never agree with each other like Religion , Leeds issues etc. and we all have our right to express our feelings even though not everyone will agree ..
I work with hundreds of people and don't get along with some , it's only natural for this to happen and at the end of the day we are Professionals doing a job we get paid to do , even if i don't see eye to eye with someone at work and i'm walking past them at work still say Good Morning or Afternoon .
The bottom line is if your going to be a Forumer i think we all need to except our diffrences , but one thing i will not cop is abuse from anyone swearing fn this and that like i have from someone in the past , PM me and let your feelings be known no drummers , That's how i feel :duno: if that's not good in people's eye's well then i don't belong here and will happily remove myself from M.O.T as much as ive grown to like alot of people here .... Those are just my thoughts guys hope we can continue to build the great bond we all love..... and that is LEEDS cheers guys and Girls :tup:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

The feel of this or any other forum comes from the totality of the membership and the way they post.

Mods cannot do anything to create a warm and wonderfully friendly forum beyond taking action against posters who persistently look to cause trouble.

I am as guilty as te next man of occasionally being short-tempered on here, so I resolve to improve there, but the bottom line is that this is YOUR forum, not Mods or Admin.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The trouble with having a chat forum is that you want to attract as many posters as possible. The problem though is that as new posters come in then sometimes they seem to almost take over and the more established posters feel no identity to them and start posting less. Some people's posts I simply don't bother to read due to the tone of their writing, some people's opinions I have little value for but they or others may feel the same way about my posts. Like I mentioned at the start of this post although I seem to disagree a lot of the time with 64 I like his posts and the way he writes and know that I can have a healthy debate/discussion rather than having someone write forcibly to shout you down.

The only suggestion I would come up with would be to limit the amount of new posters joining at any time so that they are integrated better. Having 1 new member to the flock means they get chance to establish their identity rather than getting lost amongst loads of newcomers all joining at the same time and maybe having newcomers cone in on a 1 week trial, not so they can be removed for not sharing a common opinion but to see how they interact with others. If someone comes in as a know it all but in an aggressive way then they could be removed. After all none of us really know anything 99% of the time and are just interpreting things that we see.
Last edited by weasel on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senor El Weasel
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Despair with MOT

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Guildford White wrote:The feel of this or any other forum comes from the totality of the membership and the way they post.

Mods cannot do anything to create a warm and wonderfully friendly forum beyond taking action against posters who persistently look to cause trouble.

I am as guilty as te next man of occasionally being short-tempered on here, so I resolve to improve there, but the bottom line is that this is YOUR forum, not Mods or Admin.
So if your as guilty as the next man should you be a mod??
What do you think you bring to the table?
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Despair with MOT

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

I have thought this fir a while on here "why int 64 a mod"??
All what he does on this forum???
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:I have thought this fir a while on here "why int 64 a mod"??
All what he does on this forum???

I'd imagine he was asked and turned it down...I agree with 64 though and especially about Twigg's thread....no right to reply always frustrates me.
Honey dipped flim flam
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Despair with MOT

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Witch hunt
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

MOTliam wrote:I've only been writing on the forum for a short time. However before I actually joined the forum I read it for around a year, and the reason I wanted to join was because of the community nature that the forum felt like. I think it got worst when personal battles relating to meat took it to another level. People are always going to disagree on things, and it takes a strong person to just accept that and not call them a moron. I mean I despise UKIP, BNP, eating veggie, homophobia (just to name a few things that have come up on here recently) and I'll try to argue sensibly against them rather than just shooting someone down.
Can't we take it back to the simple things like things we all like? Leeds, good music and good company? and things that we all hate, Manchester United :!:

P.s. i don't think the rolling eyes emoticon ever helps. It just exacerbates it
~We have some of the worst emoticons here...The I don't know one in particular ( :duno: ) always gets my back up for no reason in particular....I'm no fan but I don't have a hatred for any other club either...Manchester included...
Honey dipped flim flam
becchio bear
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote:

I'd imagine he was asked and turned it down...I agree with 64 though and especially about Twigg's thread....no right to reply always frustrates me.
Yep, agree with that :bear:
Lockdown 3, Rinse and Repeat.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I have been part of forums before which have been amazing, then all of a sudden a couple of people will be banned, the drastic action of no tolerance is taken, then the forum falls apart.

Not saying it will go to that extreme, but I do feel we are mothered a little bit too much. I would rather have disagreements on here, then nothing at all.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Newbies are not the problem, retaining the novices & the old school on the forum is a major stumbling block & until the root of the problem is resolved, established & new posters will continue to leave MOT !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thank you all for your kind comments :tup: