Funds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jason123
First Team
First Team

Funds

Post by Jason123 »

Now we can see where teams are gonna be apart from playoffs...

How much realistically are we gonna have to spend on players...

He needs to back SG or we could struggle ideas folks
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Funds

Post by 1964white »

Jason123 wrote:Now we can see where teams are gonna be apart from playoffs...

How much realistically are we gonna have to spend on players...

He needs to back SG or we could struggle ideas folks
The ball is completely in Ken/Larry's court

Treat the transfer windows with the same contempt as we did last season, sign the wrong players at the wrong times & we'll get exactly what we deserve

Need at least four quality players if we don't lose any of the current squad

Time will tell !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

looking at the books there doesn't appear to be a lot to play with, losing Johnson, Killa, Naylor etc will free up some funds for wages but if I had to estimate how much we'll spend on players I'm gonna say half to one million. Investment from other ources is not out of the question though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: The ball is completely in Ken/Larry's court

Treat the transfer windows with the same contempt as we did last season, sign the wrong players at the wrong times & we'll get exactly what we deserve

Time will tell !
How do you run your own business - like Viv Nicholson or Ken bates?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

white.riot wrote: How do you run your own business - like Viv Nicholson or Ken bates?
You can be quite annoying at times WR but that's rather funny :lol: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

who's Viv Nicholson
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I am very frugal in my business of course WR !

So you were happy with the signings & bringing in Bannan & Livermore with ten games to go so they could play them in the play-offs :roll:
You were happy with our combatitive playmaker Killa ?

Bates & Grayson are responsible whether we succeed or fail, there decisions will be crucial

All i wish is to see improvement on last season, is that too much for a fan to ask ?
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

The key to a successful transfer window for us this year is speed. (I know you want to make the pun, but don't... Just don't)

We missed out on some good players last year 'cos of procrastination and a lack of eagerness. We need to show players that we are as keen on them as they are at coming to play for Leeds United if we're to get the quality we deserve. There is no shame in chasing what you want, unless you're a stalker, and the 'arms folded waiting for them to come to us' approach just does not work.
chicagowhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by chicagowhite »

1964white wrote: The ball is completely in Ken/Larry's court

Time will tell !
You forget Wiliams who has as much say if not more in transfers as Grayson does also Harvey/Williams/Bates do all the negotiations which has been a fundamental stumbling block and has caused us to loose players coming in and to also push players out who would have been very good to keep.
7 Years of Lies, while L-U-F-C dies

"I shall not rest until Leeds United are kicked out of the football league. Their fans are the scum of the earth, absolute animals and a disgrace. I will do everything in my power to make sure this happens."

A quote from Mr Bates - 1984
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:I am very frugal in my business of course WR !

So you were happy with the signings & bringing in Bannan & Livermore with ten games to go so they could play them in the play-offs :roll:
You were happy with our combatitive playmaker Killa ?

Bates & Grayson are responsible whether we succeed or fail, there decisions will be crucial

All i wish is to see improvement on last season, is that too much for a fan to ask ?

You described our approach to the transfer window as showing 'contempt'. I think your view on spending shows contempt for the safe passage of our great club back into the Premier league. Administration was our lowest and most embarrassing moment. I can do without that again just so those of you who care nothing for our wage bill can have your sexy signings. Killa I recall was one of your favourite sexy signings bought by Wise in a spending spree which Bates [unwisely] funded. You have turned your back on him now.

Thankfully Bates has learnt his lesson. Shrewd husbandry. Good coaching. Sensible expectations. Youth policy. Full and proper support from the stands is the way. We never threw money around under Revie. Wilko was no big spender. George was a shrewd operator who made money. O'Leary threw money around like confetti. I know exactly what I want !
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote:who's Viv Nicholson
I take it you are joking faaip :shock: Mind you Alf had never heard of her :roll: :bear:
gessa

Post by gessa »

A debate on how much we should/shouldn't spend is ok but the fact is it's not going to be much as SG said in a newspaper interview after the last game,"I'm going to be looking at bringing in players on the Bosman" or words to that effect.Not much will be happening until the 1st week in July as players contracts mostly seem to end on June30th,the only thing we may see is if any opf our out of contract players who they want to keep or want to stay sign on.
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

it isn't really a question of how much we will have to spend on transfer fees imo. what is more crucial is that whoever we do sign is right and will improve the team. As things stand i would say we need three quality players (LB, CB, CM). we already have four 'new signings' in Nunez, Clayton, White and Lees (add to that kisnorbo if he signs). All four of these players have gained good experience last year and shown what they can do. If we don't give these players a chance soon then there is no point in keeping them. Our starting 11 should look something like this imo:

Kasper

Connolly O'Brien Lees ????????

Snoddy ???????? Howson Gradel
(Nunez)(Clayton)

Becchio McCormack

Obviously we will also need a reserve goalkeeper and RB. other than that we only need to sign more players if others leave.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

ldj90 wrote:it isn't really a question of how much we will have to spend on transfer fees imo. what is more crucial is that whoever we do sign is right and will improve the team. As things stand i would say we need three quality players (LB, CB, CM). we already have four 'new signings' in Nunez, Clayton, White and Lees (add to that kisnorbo if he signs). All four of these players have gained good experience last year and shown what they can do. If we don't give these players a chance soon then there is no point in keeping them. Our starting 11 should look something like this imo:

Kasper

Connolly O'Brien Lees ????????

Snoddy ???????? Howson Gradel
(Nunez)(Clayton)

Becchio McCormack

Obviously we will also need a reserve goalkeeper and RB. other than that we only need to sign more players if others leave.

I'd be surprised if he starts lees at the start of next season. Kis and AO maybe if all is well with Kis. Left back and a midfielder or two are the urgent areas of need and should be sorted out first.
ldj90
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @LiamJarman1

Post by ldj90 »

i too would be surprised if he starts Lees and indeed it would be asking an awful lot of such a young lad. however with a decent injury free preseason i think he could step upto the plate. i would agree with kis starting but he hasn't signed yet...has he??
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

You all forget that bruce is only going to get better!
If bates like we think is going ot be captain sensible then we all know that LB, CB, and Midfield centre are the only areas of concern, a reserve keeper can be found under a rock.
To be honest I would like to see paynter get the boot and another target man brought it.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

Emsley wrote:You all forget that bruce is only going to get better!
If bates like we think is going ot be captain sensible then we all know that LB, CB, and Midfield centre are the only areas of concern, a reserve keeper can be found under a rock.
To be honest I would like to see paynter get the boot and another target man brought it.
I agree with that Ems. :bear:
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

faaip wrote:who's Viv Nicholson

I note that BB didn't answer your question, and in case you really don't know......
Back in the 60's, Viv won £150,000 on the Pools, equivalent to millions today, professed her plans were to "spend, spend, spend", and promptly did just that! Book and film about her life after winning were middling popular.
Eblis Presley
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Eblis Presley »

white.riot wrote: How do you run your own business - like Viv Nicholson or Ken bates?
I know you're capable of more than binary thinking so why you'd try and suggest there are but these two alternatives I have no clue.

But, playing along, it's worth pointing out that Viv didn't run a business and that Ken is the custodian of much more than a business. Both have interesting histories and their modus operandi well-documented - for one it's 'spend, spend, spend' for the other 'lie, cheat, steal' (though this too can include phases of reckless spending - just not on football - donations to lawyer friends are a favourite).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
You described our approach to the transfer window as showing 'contempt'. I think your view on spending shows contempt for the safe passage of our great club back into the Premier league. Administration was our lowest and most embarrassing moment. I can do without that again just so those of you who care nothing for our wage bill can have your sexy signings. Killa I recall was one of your favourite sexy signings bought by Wise in a spending spree which Bates [unwisely] funded. You have turned your back on him now.

Thankfully Bates has learnt his lesson. Shrewd husbandry. Good coaching. Sensible expectations. Youth policy. Full and proper support from the stands is the way. We never threw money around under Revie. Wilko was no big spender. George was a shrewd operator who made money. O'Leary threw money around like confetti. I know exactly what I want !

I have never said we should spend a fortune on new signings. I do expect our coaches to bring in players with a touch of quality as oppose to signing the likes of Paynter, Bessone, Collins, etc who are basically League One players.
Apparently we spent our whole revenue from the Arsenal games on McCartney's salary according to Ken which i don't believe for one minute, yet another useless footballer we brought in as we panicked to bolster up our leaky defence

I don't wish my club to go down the Ridsdale road, please get that point in your head !

As for good coaching that's a joke when you look at our defensive frailties for the last two seasons & our form has dipped dramatically in the latter part of the season TWICE !

NO we don't need to spend big but we do have to be seen to compete for the right type of players & youngsters such as Bannan & Livermore need to be given time to settle & not thrown in the lion's den

Then there is the youth policy you mention, how many youngsters have come through to the first team in the last couple of years ? We currently have one in the team, our captain who made his debut when we were previously in the championship