The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by Twiggster »

Baby Lemonade wrote:Another of mine...

Could have chosen almost any Beach Boys song as they encapsulate the very essense of summer like no other group, but this has always been a personal favourite of mine.

Is it just me or does the very sound of the Beach Boys cause one to well up? They make me feel like no other band ever has.
So cheesy bad it's brilliant! :roflmao:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Baby Lemonade wrote:Another of mine...

Could have chosen almost any Beach Boys song as they encapsulate the very essense of summer like no other group, but this has always been a personal favourite of mine.

Is it just me or does the very sound of the Beach Boys cause one to well up? They make me feel like no other band ever has.

Always a fan but have grown to love them even more over the years, they have produced some classic songs & albums & the solo works by Brian & Dennis Wilson are worth investigating too :!:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

101 MOT pages now! GO Music Discussion Thread! :-D
Baby Lemonade
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baby Lemonade »

Twiggster wrote: So cheesy bad it's brilliant! :roflmao:
Ok mate it's cheesy but I love it, always have, and I have a very personal reason to, but that's irrelevant.

Do you like the Beach Boys?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:101 MOT pages now! GO Music Discussion Thread! :-D
The Music Discussion thread on the other side is dead in the water :!:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Baby Lemonade wrote: Ok mate it's cheesy but I love it, always have, and I have a very personal reason to, but that's irrelevant.

I freaken well LOVE the Beach Boys, mate! Help Me Rhonda, Fun Fun Fun, Little Deuce Coup, Surfin Safari...and more importantly...Good Vibrations....I have them all on vinyl 45's and nowadays, on MP3's!!! The ultimate summer fun tunes band!

WAVE!!!!! :mrgreen:

Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Baby Lemonade wrote: Ok mate it's cheesy but I love it, always have, and I have a very personal reason to, but that's irrelevant.

God Only Knows is one of my all time favourite tracks. I know so many people though who don't listen to the lyrics properly and get the meaning of the song completely wrong.
Baby Lemonade
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baby Lemonade »

Twiggster wrote: Ok mate it's cheesy but I love it, always have, and I have a very personal reason to, but that's irrelevant.

I freaken well LOVE the Beach Boys, mate! Help Me Rhonda, Fun Fun Fun, Little Deuce Coup, Surfin Safari...and more importantly...Good Vibrations....I have them all on vinyl 45's and nowadays, on MP3's!!! The ultimate summer fun tunes band!

WAVE!!!!! :mrgreen:

:victory:

Whoever conducts this poll, Guildford is it?, feel free to change my nomination to another Beach Boys song of your choosing, I'm feeling a bit emotional tonight and my quality control isn't quite what it could be.

Fun Fun Fun perhaps.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: The Music Discussion thread on the other side is dead in the water :!:

It's not a competition surely. The dark side still has youth on it's side. I miss the modern stuff - a couple of the younger guys were like a toothache but at times it's like radio 3 on here - rehashing the classics. I love that but would like to discuss new stuff as well. And I mean innovative/cutting edge new stuff not (for want of an example) Midlake and the easy crew who may well be brilliant in their way but are never gonna change my life. Anyway here we are and we carry on holding the fort and awaiting the next generation of pop pickers :wink:

Show me a new album where the first note takes your breath away/makes you stop what you're doing and gasp. That's the holy grail for me. Hegarty does it obviously but what else?

If I sound like a grumpy old man it's because I am by the way. Here's how to do it:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Love stuff like this - proper pop singles. Somebody get that phone . . . .

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Another big favourite . . . .

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Also loving this album at the moment . . . .

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

45 years ago . . . . amazing, truly amazing!

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

white.riot wrote:45 years ago . . . . amazing, truly amazing!

The word "amazing" does no justice here mate... "sublimely AWESOME" might just give it the credit it deserves?

Wukkin Funderfull track, WR - thank you for that! :thup:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

white.riot wrote:
It's not a competition surely. The dark side still has youth on it's side. I miss the modern stuff - a couple of the younger guys were like a toothache but at times it's like radio 3 on here - rehashing the classics. I love that but would like to discuss new stuff as well. And I mean innovative/cutting edge new stuff not (for want of an example) Midlake and the easy crew who may well be brilliant in their way but are never gonna change my life. Anyway here we are and we carry on holding the fort and awaiting the next generation of pop pickers :wink:

Show me a new album where the first note takes your breath away/makes you stop what you're doing and gasp. That's the holy grail for me. Hegarty does it obviously but what else?

If I sound like a grumpy old man it's because I am by the way. Here's how to do it:
Yes mate - I miss the kids on here too...I am hoping that the MOT kids will post on here eventually, now the footy is done with for the summer...some new music needed on this thread fo' showah! 8-)

P.S. Hegarty does WHAT? Make me puke??? :duno:

BTW - OOH Yes! Prime time Clash clip! :thup:

How the heck did Joe die so young? :duno:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Class band and awwwsome song
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I love parts of ‘The Planet Suite’ by Gustav Holst (Jupiter – the bringer of jollity – especially “I vow to thee my country”, hymn number 294 in the Normanton Grammar School mini-Hymn Book and “Mars – the God of war” – all menacing in a 5/4 beat which would be hard to replicate).
On a lighter note I love Stevie Winwood solo, after his spells with the ‘Spencer Davis Group’ and ‘Traffic’, “Jump” by Van Halen, “Oh Sherrie” by the Thompson twins, quite a few by Phil Collins (whilst with and after ‘Genesis’), Dire Straits (I defy anyone to listen to “Local Hero – Wild Theme” without recognizing at least the superb atmospheric quality of Mark Knopfler’s solo), also “Telegraph Road” and “Tunnel of Love”.
John Denver “Calypso”
Jon and Vangelis “I’ll find my way home” – that’s our (Debbie and I) anthem.
Lionel Ritchie “Dancing on the ceiling”.
Kate Bush “Wuthering Heights”.
Kim Carnes “Betty Davis eyes”.
Peter Sarstedt “Where do you go to my lovely”.
Peter Satera “Glory of love”.
Genesis “Mama”.
Barry McGuire “Eve of Destruction”.
American Breed “Bend me shape me”
Arthur Brown “Fire”.
Bonnie Tyler “Holding out for a hero”.
Buddy Holly “Rave On”.
Chris de Burgh “Say goodbye to it all”.
Elton John “Someday out of the blue”.
Emerson, Lake and Palmer “Jerusalem”.
Emerson, Lake and Palmer “Lucky Man”.
Frank Sinatra “I did it my way”.
J.S.Bach “Jesu, Joy of Man’s desiring.”
Joe Cocker “With a little help from my friends”.
John Denver “Calypso”.
Jean Joseph Mouret ”Rondeau".
Steam “Na na na na hey hey hey goodbye”.
Steve Perry “Hey Sherrie”.
Vangelis “Chariots of fire”.
The Who “Dr. Jimmy”.
Roger Daltrey “I’m free”.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Tom Petty “Free falling”
Tom Petty “I won’t back down”
Tom Petty “Learning to fly”
Alan Price Set ‘I put a spell on you”
Ultravox “Vienna”
Vangelis “Chariots of fire”
Who “Dr. Jimmy”
1964white

Post by 1964white »

WR's point about young people on the thead/site & their imput on new music is a good one. The question is how do we attract the likes of Frus, Tedwood, Leeds&Leeds&Leeds & even Duck/Tucker if they are prepared to show respect :?: then there are others such as Modbother, Nobby. Half A Graham & probably other names that i have forgotten.

I have advertised MOT a couple of times on the waccoe pages. Maybe someone should personally pm the above folks, i do think it is upto the chairman though :!:
Billy, it really is your decision with regard to any of our missing friends, think recruitment would be best coming from you.

We must have around 17/18 from the MD site now so it is not as if we are desparate for newcomers although they are always welcomed, we have the added bonus of the original members of MOT who have interacted wonderfully with the mad invaders from the dark side :lol

WR mentioned Radio 3, come on let's have a happy medium between say Radio 1 & Radio 2.

Have to say one marvellous aspect about contributing on this site is there is no name calling/personal insults/aggressive posts/etc, unfortunately we were always vunerable to that sought of behaviour on the dark side :twisted:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:Love stuff like this - proper pop singles. Somebody get that phone . . . .

A great disco tune WR, a massive hit around the clubs. I was working in Bournemouth at the time, remember having a duplicated order of this single ( 100's of it ), the competition ran out of it & we cleaned up :-D

Btw i wish you would answer your phone :wink: