Praise for the unseen heroes

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Praise for the unseen heroes

Post by weasel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Last season our medical team got a lot of criticism as we seemed to continually have several players out with injuries. The main criticism seemed to be that players were rushed back too quickly and then had further breakdowns, usually getting a different injury to the previous one. Whether the criticism was justified is hard to know as it is easy to jump to conclusions without really knowing the facts.

This season we haven't really had many injuries. Certainly a lot less than last season. Given the high intensity that the players have played at the relatively few injuries, especially muscles ones, would seem to suggest that the fitness work has been done to near perfection. When you also throw in the Covid disruption and that the players returned in such good shape then it really is testament to the good work that must have been going on behind the scenes. It certainly dispelled a lot of myths that player cannot cope with the Bielsa demands.
Senor El Weasel

Denman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Praise for the unseen heroes

Post by Denman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:21 pm

I agree. I do think last season was a bit of a one-off, the problem being that it coincided with Bielsa and his methods. Human nature is to look for blame, scapegoats if you will, but credit where credit’s due, this season the medical team do appear to have excelled.

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm

The fact that we got through with so few injuries was a massive factor in going up.

Only Pablo, Roberts, and Phillips were out more than once with anything more than a knock.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Shouldn't is be unsung? ..I doubt they're invisible...Maybe they are though what do I know?
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Irish Ian wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm
The fact that we got through with so few injuries was a massive factor in going up.

Only Pablo, Roberts, and Phillips were out more than once with anything more than a knock.
Forshaw..Douglas ?
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:36 pm

faaip wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 pm
Forshaw..Douglas ?
Forshaw was just out once, pity it lasted for 90% of the season. :)

I hadnt counter on Douglas as apart from the last few games he has been irrelevant.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

Richard
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 am

Irish Ian wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Leif Davis, Augustin, Edmondson, Nketiah, Berardi. Cooper had a few weeks out (6 wasn’t it?), Shackleton was out for several weeks with a hamstring so when you count in Phillips, Roberts, Forshaw, Pablo it’s not far off previous seasons. Three one week injuries is better than a 6 week stretch specially when you then have to get the fitness back up. Poveda was rumoured to be injured then some said unfit.

I’m not blaming the medical team, some players are just more prone to injuries.

Advertisment