The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July) - Digital health passport could be key to see fans back to Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July) - Digital health passport could be key to see fans back to Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 am

Good Morning. It's Thursday 30th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Harrison agrees loan deal and will sign shortly

Jack Harrison has agreed terms with Leeds and will re-sign for another season. The Manchester City winger has emerged as far more consistent player last term, though many would agree that there is still room for improvement. Pep Guardiola understands that his player is in safe hands under the Management of Marcelo Bielsa and had little hesitation in agreeing another loan term. Leeds will still be given the choice to permanently sign the 23 year old, though the price has gone up from 8m to 10m. Citeh are also set to loan Brazilian teenage sensation Yan Couto to the Whites. The exciting wing backs (either wing) devastating pace and close ball control will cause many Premiership defences problems next season. Does Harrison deserve an automatic starting place?

Digital health passport could be the key to see fans flock back to Elland Road

A secure digital health passport could be the key to seeing the fans flock back to Elland Road next season!

Spectators wanting to enter Elland Road would have to undergo a simple coronavirus test involving a pinprick to draw blood and a 10 minute wait to get the results. The test would need to take place 48 hours before the game, and if negative the unique digital passport can be scanned, verified and approved by venue officials from a distance of up to 100 metres. The technology compares facial recognition with passport photographs.

The results are works on a traffic light system - red for positive, green for negative and amber indicates a countdown trigger date to the next test date. The results of the test are taken into account for up to 14 days. The £15 cost covers everything - the testing, administration of the passport and the bio-security checks at venues. Many Premier League clubs are already expressed their interest in taking part in these trials during pre-season friendlies next month. Pilot programmes involving between 500 and 5,000 spectators will take place initially.

Inventor Louis-James Davis is confident his system can get even the biggest venues up to full capacity, with those in attendance having the reassurance that they and the people around them are not infectious.

We're creating a bio-secure environment by ensuring all fans - plus stadium staff, security officials, players and backroom staff - inside the stadium are tested and have proved their test result is negative on arrival. Let's say we do five of these pilot events which are a success. There is no reason why this then can't be scaled up. It's simply a case of increasing the staff to administer the tests. It will then over time gradually get back to normal because everyone can trust that it's a bio-secure venue.

Clubs can't charge fans a full season ticket cost if they can't guarantee that they're going to get in. So if the clubs said 'right, you can come to these games this season, but it's going to cost an extra £15 a ticket to come', I would say that most people would go. The clubs might even concede that they have to absorb the £15. Without that revenue from spectators, the clubs cannot exist on advertising and sponsor revenue alone.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July)Digital health passport could be the key to see fans flock back to Elland

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 am

I reckon some type of covid testing needs to be in place however this suggestion is not great for fans who live outside the Leeds area

I would have to make a 125 miles all round journey 48 hours prior to a game, also £15 for testing plus fuel expenses for the initial trip would make every match extremely expensive & time consuming for me :(

lufc1304
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July)Digital health passport could be the key to see fans flock back to Elland

Post by lufc1304 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:12 am

It sounds like a good idea, but Leon's point is valid re fans who live outside of Leeds. But perhaps it will be viable if it can be done remote from ER?

Jack has earned his chance to start next season after a much improved campaign this time around. I still think he takes the wrong option on occasion and his final ball still needs work, but he is much improved and Bielsa clearly rates him. Never heard of the young lad at City, but if Marcelo likes him, that's good enough for me.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

Irish Ian
Manager
Manager

Post by Irish Ian » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 am

Morning Folk,

Testing is the way forward but it rules out a lot of the potential fanbase.
However their will be another wave of Covid 19 and with the potential for local lockdowns like Leicster I feel a lot of these plans will not see fruition.

I have come to terms with not seeing a game next season which is a pity as we recently got news of the Belfast / Leeds Bradford route reopening after Flybe went south. I probably will still renew membership as it is a way of supporting the club.

Tne young RB. New name for me. My only reservation is that it uses up our second loan from the prem slot after Harrison.

Does Harrison deserve an automatic starting place? None do.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins

Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Morning All,

If the simple blood test could be done at a local hospital or health center, the idea is sound. The whole system for implementing it is obviously still in its infancy but i see something along these lines as being the only way to ensure safety for all spectators others than reducing crowd numbers to ensure social distancing.

Harrison was much improved last season but still needs to improve in certain area as outlined by lufc1304

Chilli

DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July) - Digital health passport could be key to see fans back to Elland Road

Post by DavidH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 am

The obvious drawback to the testing, is the same as that being sighted for aircraft travel. You may be negative when tested, but go on to pick up the virus in the next 48 (or more) hours. Then being asypmtomatic, spread it to others at the ground

Byebyegeegee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 30th July) - Digital health passport could be key to see fans back to Elland Road

Post by Byebyegeegee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 am

DavidH wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 am
The obvious drawback to the testing, is the same as that being sighted for aircraft travel. You may be negative when tested, but go on to pick up the virus in the next 48 (or more) hours. Then being asypmtomatic, spread it to others at the ground
Unless you have a test every hour of everyday this is always going to be a possibility, not perfect but the best that can be done practically, for the time being.

Jack Harrison’s 1st touch and close control is second to none but his final ball is often poor which can be very frustrating. Still worth another season though to see how he goes in the Premiership.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:25 am

I don't know if Jack's final ball is poor, for the most part they look good to me...Jack depends on his striker as does Costa. I don't think his final ball is any less accurate than say Pablo who's key passes to are to midfield runners moving into space. There were just 2 Hernandez to Bamford goals, and tbh I don't recall Pablo going to direct to Paddy much at all.
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:28 am

Nathan Ake to Man City for 41 M, offer has been accepted apparently
I wanted to flash this watch, I flash it all the time. It's my antique pocket watch and it makes me look British...and I need that for my analysis. It is a gorgeous gold pocket watch however and I'm very proud of it. You see my grandfather, on his death bed, ..sold me this watch!

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 am

faaip wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:28 am
Nathan Ake to Man City for 41 M, offer has been accepted apparently
£27m profit on Ake for the Cherries which should help the club financially in these surreal times plus they have the parachute payments to come

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 am

Byebyegeegee wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 am
Unless you have a test every hour of everyday this is always going to be a possibility, not perfect but the best that can be done practically, for the time being.

Jack Harrison’s 1st touch and close control is second to none but his final ball is often poor which can be very frustrating. Still worth another season though to see how he goes in the Premiership.
Good point Byebye :tup:

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:51 am

Chelsea will get the chance to match...Think it should set White's price at somewhere well below 35 for me, he doesn't have Ake premiership experience yet and only one season in a system (Which can mean he doesn't play as well in other systems) If Brighton get 35 for him either Ake was a massive bargain or someone massively overpaid for White at current value

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:58 am

Glad to have Jack back for another year. I'm sure there is more improvement to come.

However, if we are loaning Jack from City, then we can't loan Couto. Only one loan allowed per Premiership club. We are allowed two Premiership loans + 3 foreign loans per matchday squad.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 pm

1964white wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 am
£27m profit on Ake for the Cherries which should help the club financially in these surreal times plus they have the parachute payments to come
They also owe £81 Million in unpaid transfer fees, and their wage bill is astronomical with no relegation clauses in place. They do have a very wealthy owner, but what he can put in under Championship FFP (or whatever stupid name they are now calling it) is very limited.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 pm
They also owe £81 Million in unpaid transfer fees, and their wage bill is astronomical with no relegation clauses in place. They do have a very wealthy owner, but what he can put in under Championship FFP (or whatever stupid name they are now calling it) is very limited.
Shame for Bournemouth & Eddie Howe as he always tries to play football in the right manner

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:45 pm

If we try to put relegation clauses in our offers, as sensible as they are, we'd more than halve the players willing to come and play here...So you can understand why Bournemouth didn't..

andrewjohnsmith
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andrewjohnsmith » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm

I think we made a good deal with Harrison. Delaying the transfer fee another year makes sense and allows us to spend it on someone else this year. As he ages, his decisions and final ball should get better.

Yan Couto sounds like a good loan signing. Transfermarkt lists him as right footed and right back. I know Ayling could be upgraded, but hope our emphasis is on a bona fide left back
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm

The Longest running takeover saga in history has come to an end.

The Saudi bid (with some token Brits) has been withdrawn.

Newcastle will either be stuck with Mike Ashley or that Yank dude.

Feel sorry for Newcastle fans, good people.

Advertisment