A multiplicity of members.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Crude
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7491
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 pm
Twitter: crudos
Location: 'Merica

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Crude » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:49 pm

whiteswan, you made the comment about alot of people here seem to know each other and who that can be a bit intimidating to new folks. I would agree, because I felt the same way back when I first joined, but over time, we'll get to know you better. It's not a super secret clubhouse, as long as you love LUFC, then you'll always have friends the world over.
:tup:
Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011

Leeds United Americas (LUA)

You can take the Leeds out of the top flight but you'll never take the top flight out of Leeds.
—Dom Matteo

danhirons
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by danhirons » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:59 pm

gessa wrote:I have recently been thinking on these lines myself, not so much having a cull but wondering why so many people join but never seem to post, I have noticed over the last few weeks that someone who as been a member since March 2011 as been on the forum quite a lot but as never made a single post.Why is that?

Is the reason, because we only have a limited number of regular posters there is a family atmosphere here, where generally the vast majority get along, we call a few of us by our first/nick names rather than usernames, does this make people almost seem frightened to join in ?

There is a thread at the top of the page "Supporting Leeds" which is a way of new members to introduce themselves, is this enough? could we have a thread pinned on the lines of "introduce yourself" or similar?

Personally I think we could do with some new blood on here to hopefully create a greater variety of posts or get more debate going on existing threads.

Is there a member reading this, who doesn't post for whatever reason? if so perhaps you could say why you don't.
I've been a member for a year or so, but I don't post all that often. I do, however, tend to browse the forum one a day most days though, mainly just to read up on LUFC news as I know it will always be posted here and also to read people's views on matches, news, transfers etc. Hope that helps!

I'd also very much call myself a casual arm chair fan - living in Bristol means it would be difficult to get to games and besides I play myself most Saturdays hangover-dependant.

Re what a woman said a few posts prior, it would be nice maybe for an introduction section to the forum where you could say a bit about yourself and introduce yourself? Apologise if there is a section for this but maybe it doesn't get used much?

LUFCRACE
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by LUFCRACE » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:41 pm

Martyn wrote:
What's your Dad's name Anna? I'm from Ossett, and my 96-year old dad who lives with us lived in Ossett for 60 years
No no, my Dad's MATE (at least I think he's Ossett born and bred, he definitely went to school there), Andrew. My dad is a Selby-ite.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image

User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11448
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Contact:

A multiplicity of members.

Post by Martyn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Hmmm. Andrew. There can't have been more than one of those in the last 60 years
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.

LUFCRACE
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11379
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm
Twitter: lufcrace
Location: Wakefield
Contact:

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by LUFCRACE » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Martyn wrote:Hmmm. Andrew. There can't have been more than one of those in the last 60 years
well he also goes by the name of Twy? :lol:
BRING BACK BRADDERS

Image
International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Image

Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia.

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Kyle_5351 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:55 pm

gessa wrote:I have recently been thinking on these lines myself, not so much having a cull but wondering why so many people join but never seem to post, I have noticed over the last few weeks that someone who as been a member since March 2011 as been on the forum quite a lot but as never made a single post.Why is that?

Is the reason, because we only have a limited number of regular posters there is a family atmosphere here, where generally the vast majority get along, we call a few of us by our first/nick names rather than usernames, does this make people almost seem frightened to join in ?

There is a thread at the top of the page "Supporting Leeds" which is a way of new members to introduce themselves, is this enough? could we have a thread pinned on the lines of "introduce yourself" or similar?

Personally I think we could do with some new blood on here to hopefully create a greater variety of posts or get more debate going on existing threads.

Is there a member reading this, who doesn't post for whatever reason? if so perhaps you could say why you don't.
I was actively reading a lot of topics on this forum for a good 3-4 months before I registered a username. It would have been another good 2-3 months before I made my first post.

Originally I used the forum as a source of information for transfer windows etc, as it seemed to be the easiest and fastest way of obtaining that information.

User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6976
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by whiteswan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:05 am

Hi Crude, Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to being amongst all you lovely people...c'mon you whites...

User avatar
Ronan
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Ronan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:32 am

Welcome to the forum all the new ones...it's a great place...pity the football team isn't (at the moment he says clutching at straws) :(

Ronan

:shirt: :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......

User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by hibbi86 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:52 pm

im not new but i have been absent for a while, how is everybody?
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22946
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by gessa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm well Hibbi thanks, not sure about the others.

Armleywhite

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Armleywhite » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:22 pm

If the size of the member database isn't impacting on performance, why bother? By leaving the old members on line means that they can, if they so wish, return at anytime to post. Personally, I don't see the problem??

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 78837
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by 1964white » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 pm

hibbi86 wrote:im not new but i have been absent for a while, how is everybody?
Good to see back on MOT Hibbi :tup:

User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by hibbi86 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 am

Glad to see some people are doing well :)
hope everyone has a great Christmas a new year,

I must say when i first joined MOT i lurked for a little while to gauge the characters and the type of people were posting to see if my personality was compatible and to see if i would get one with you guys currently on here.

Thankfully i did and joining in on the match days at VLR helped with getting to know people.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!

User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11448
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Contact:

A multiplicity of members.

Post by Martyn » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:23 am

You lurked to gauge the characters on here and yet you still joined? :shock:

Are you mad?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 78837
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by 1964white » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 am

hibbi86 wrote:Glad to see some people are doing well :)
hope everyone has a great Christmas a new year,

I must say when i first joined MOT i lurked for a little while to gauge the characters and the type of people were posting to see if my personality was compatible and to see if i would get one with you guys currently on here.

Thankfully i did and joining in on the match days at VLR helped with getting to know people.
You choosed well Hibbi :tup:

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 33241
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by faaip » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 am

1964white wrote:
You choosed well Hibbi :tup:

seriously...64. c'mon
Free the Sara 1

User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by hibbi86 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Martyn wrote:You lurked to gauge the characters on here and yet you still joined? :shock:

Are you mad?
Yes i am mad which is why i thought this suited me :roflmao:
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!

Norm
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Norm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Martyn wrote:

...............................

....................I'm from Ossett, and my 96-year old dad who lives with us lived in Ossett for 60 years
How is your dad Martyn? Does he like living in the Southwest?

User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11448
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Contact:

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Martyn » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Norm wrote:
How is your dad Martyn? Does he like living in the Southwest?
He loves it Norm, thanks very much for asking.

He was born and brought up in Bridlington before the war, so was used to living on the coast. After the war he met my mum, they married in 1949 and he left Brid for Ossett. They lived there for 60 years until she died 5 years back, after which he came to us in Guildford. He confided just the other day that he'd always wanted to go back to the coast to live but never thought he would so he is blissfully happy here.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6339
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: A multiplicity of members.

Post by Norm » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:40 am

Martyn wrote:

He confided just the other day that he'd always wanted to go back to the coast to live but never thought he would so he is blissfully happy here.
That's a result Martyn - great stuff! i lived in Cleethorpes for a while (1979-1981) and had a terraced house literally 2 minutes from the railway station (and thus the sea). In terms of simply where I lived I don't think I was ever happier than living at the seaside.
Glad to hear your dad's happy and, by extension, you. You appear to have made a great move and I'm pleased for you. :tup:

Post Reply

Advertisment