The Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18719
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by gessa » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 am

Funeral
Neon Bible
EP

Only played The Suburbs a couple of times, couldn't really get i to it, their last offering, I haven't even played.

User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by hector » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:21 am

Never played anythingof theirs....
:tup: “And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.” :wink:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am

On the current playlist

Antony & the Johnsons

Absolutely gorgeous albums from one of the great & acquired bands of the modern-era. Unfortunately I suspect Antony's music is still unappreciated by the majority on here

My favourite Antony albums in this order

Antony & The Johnsons
The Crying Light
I Am A Bird Now
Swanlights
Turning
Hopelessness (recorded under new name Anohni)

Chart facts

My favourite album made no impact on the charts though Antony's next three works were Top 30 albums. Antony has had no Singles chart success


User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 am

Back to 70's rock on my playlist next up

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Black Sabbath albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 am

64's Hall of Fame

More to follow of course

Alice Cooper
Antony & the Johnsons
Arcade Fire
Bad Co
Beach Boys
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Clash
Elton John
Lou Reed
Pink Floyd
Velvet Underground

User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am

1964white wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am
On the current playlist

Antony & the Johnsons

Absolutely gorgeous albums from one of the great & acquired bands of the modern-era. Unfortunately I suspect Antony's music is still unappreciated by the majority on here

My favourite Antony albums in this order

Antony & The Johnsons
The Crying Light
I Am A Bird Now
Swanlights
Turning
Hopelessness (recorded under new name Anohni)

Chart facts

My favourite album made no impact on the charts though Antony's next three works were Top 30 albums. Antony has had no Singles chart success

I picked up one of their albums (I think it's I Am A Bird Now) at a CBS after seeing them on Jools Holland once. However, must confess to never listening to it and if a track pops up on shuffle on the iPod I tend to knock it on to the next.............so no, not really for me 64.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 am

Muppet the Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am
I picked up one of their albums (I think it's I Am A Bird Now) at a CBS after seeing them on Jools Holland once. However, must confess to never listening to it and if a track pops up on shuffle on the iPod I tend to knock it on to the next.............so no, not really for me 64.
I think Antony only appeals to Ges & myself on this one Cat

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18719
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by gessa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 am

Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

But not much between them.

Hopelessness is very good too.

Cut The World is a brilliant live album,, only spoilt by 'future feminism' what is that all about?

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18719
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by gessa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am

Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

But not much between them.

Hopelessness is very good too.

Cut The World is a brilliant live album,, only spoilt by 'future feminism' what is that all about?

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 pm

gessa wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am
Antony and the Johnsons
I am A Bird Now
The Crying Light
Turning
Swanlights

But not much between them.

Hopelessness is very good too.

Cut The World is a brilliant live album,, only spoilt by 'future feminism' what is that all about?
I forgot to include Cut The World on my initial post

God knows mate, I immediately click on to the next track :)

We've got them all covered mate 8-)

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:39 pm

More from the weekend playlist

Alice Cooper

Only Alice album I go a bundle on is 'Killer' still his best imo even though Cooper's music sounds dated to me.

Killer
Billion Dollar Babies
School's Out
Love It To Death

Favourite Alice song without any doubt

'Halo of Flies' off 'Killer'

Chart facts

'School's Out' was Alice's only No.1 single culminating four Top 10 hits in 1972

'Billion Dollar Babies' was his only album that made the No.1 spot in the UK & USA

Alice had seven Top 10 albums, four of them much later in his career


User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

The only two I have are
1974 'Alice Coopers Greatest Hits' - which is up there with the best greatest hits compilations IMO; and
the 1997 live (somewhere in Mexico I think) album 'A Fistful of Alice'

I do like Elected and I'm Eighteen but if for no other reason than the iconic 1972 Top of the Pops performance (which always pops up on those 1970's/Glam Rock/Guitar Heroes BBC 4 compilation shows) and being an impressionable 8yr old at the time I'd say School's Out is my favourite track.

I saw him in Cardiff in the early 2000's at Cardiff CIA (but only really as I went to see Dio who were supporting) - he was good, but the theatre of it all is the main thing, rather than it being a rock show. However, I appreciate I may be in a minority with that and others clearly loving the fake hangings, blood, guillotines etc...

:moggy:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Muppet the Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm
The only two I have are
1974 'Alice Coopers Greatest Hits' - which is up there with the best greatest hits compilations IMO; and
the 1997 live (somewhere in Mexico I think) album 'A Fistful of Alice'

I do like Elected and I'm Eighteen but if for no other reason than the iconic 1972 Top of the Pops performance (which always pops up on those 1970's/Glam Rock/Guitar Heroes BBC 4 compilation shows) and being an impressionable 8yr old at the time I'd say School's Out is my favourite track.

I saw him in Cardiff in the early 2000's at Cardiff CIA (but only really as I went to see Dio who were supporting) - he was good, but the theatre of it all is the main thing, rather than it being a rock show. However, I appreciate I may be in a minority with that and others clearly loving the fake hangings, blood, guillotines etc...

:moggy:
I agree with you there on Alice, very similar to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band who were also a visual theatrical type act, better on stage than on their records

User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm

His autobiography, 'Golf Monster' is one of the more entertaining/interesting books of that genre that I've read.

:moggy:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by 1964white » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Muppet the Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm
His autobiography, 'Golf Monster' is one of the more entertaining/interesting books of that genre that I've read.

:moggy:
Excellent golfer apparently

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18719
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by gessa » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Even though a lot of it seems dated now, there is still a goodie off each album up to From The Inside.

Love It To death
Pretties For You
From The Inside
Schools Out
Easy action
Muscle Of Love
Lace and Whisky
Killer
Billion Dollar Babies

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ALICE COOPER albums ?

Post by 1964white » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 am

Today's bands both on my playlist recently

Be-bop Deluxe

A Yorkshire band from Swannie's hometown Wakefield where I first saw Bill Nelson & the boys perform a magical set before they recorded their first album. Initially we use to pay 10p entry fees to see Be-Bop in the pubs around West Yorks, they could often be found playing at the Staging Post in Leeds.

At first they were compared to the more successful David Bowie, but Nelson never tried to copy Bowie, and appears to have disliked comparisons or being pigeon-holed. Bill became one of the best guitarists on the northern music scene in the mid-70's

My favourite albums

Their debut album is still their best work imo !

Axe Victim
Futurama
Sunburst Finish

Chart Facts

Be-Bop finally cracked it 1976 with the song 'Ships in the Night' from their 3rd album Sunburst Finish, both single & album made the Top 20, BBD went on to have two more albums reach the Top 20 chart




User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE albums ?

Post by 1964white » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:37 am

Barclay James Harvest

One of the most underrated rock bands of the 70's. John Lees's BJH were a hard-working band touring the UK, saw them a few times in Leeds

Favourite Albums

Everyone Is Everybody Else (without any doubt their best work)
Gone To Earth
Early Morning Onwards or The Best Of (both compilations)
And Other Stories
Their First Album.....

Chart Facts

Although 'Everyone Is Everybody Else' did not chart, it was nevertheless an important album that directly contributed to subsequent limited UK success and considerable European success for the band, particularly in Germany, France and Switzerland.
BJH had nine LP's that reach the album chart in the UK






User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE & BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST albums

Post by hector » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 am

Those are both bands that I never got into....

And as you say that I live in the past and need to look forward, I probably won't now........
:tup: “And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.” :wink:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 64752
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite BE-BOP DELUXE & BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST albums

Post by 1964white » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 am

hector wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 am
Those are both bands that I never got into....

And as you say that I live in the past and need to look forward, I probably won't now........
Have a listen to the clips I've posted up Hector

Post Reply