Authors of Fiction

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Authors of Fiction

Post by Gandalf »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 am Have you tried the Robert Goddard? Think he's probably the best British writer in the last 25 yrs ( I don't really include Child in that as his stuff is so American). There was a poor TV dramatisation of Out of The blue featuring John Thaw which does him no favours but I love the variation book to book.
I have 20 Goddard books (including the Harry Barnett and James Maxted series). I have read a few of his books quite a while ago, but I can't remember which ones - I have put the Bartley ones on my list.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Le Carre has elevated his art form. Far more than just a thriller writer; he has absolutely captured the zeitgeist of the cold war. His work will live far beyond our time.

Don't get much time to read fiction as my job requires that I read a lot of academic papers, but I recently discovered an English write by the name of Mick Herron whose Slough House series of novels is quite good.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I struggle with Le Carre, I'm not intelligent enough to read him...I get lost then bored real quick. I can't make it through the films or TV series either.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm I struggle with Le Carre, I'm not intelligent enough to read him...
I don't believe that for a minute. Just not your cup of tea.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

First book I read from leCarre was "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" in about 1979 and, let me tell you, it cured me of speed reading. Richly conceived, gruellingly realistic and it made you think.
Once I 'got' him I enjoyed his works immensely, but we're all different and I get that not everyone would like his style.
His grammar and general English is a delight to read and a lot of the things he doesn't tell you directly in the story become apparent in very clever ways.

Debbie's favourite is "A perfect Spy" and the book starts with most, but not all, of the ending. Then it's a very long and skilfully-woven journey through the lead character's life to demonstrate how his past made him into the title character. LeCarre is brilliant and his style doesn't tell you everything - it's as if he wants readers to think their way through certain parts. Sometimes I've read a book a second time to find what I missed the first time. Anyone expecting a linear plot progression may not like his works, but if you take the trouble to 'get' him, it's tremendously worth it.

Would you agree with that John?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

A few of my favourite fiction writers:

John Connolly (The Charlie Parker series)
Don Winslow (especially his epic war on drugs trilogy)
James Lee Burke
Chris Carter
Greg Iles
Dennis Lehane
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Norm wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 pm
Would you agree with that John?
I would.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I am a great fan of The poet Charles Bukowski. Here is his take on writers.

https://youtu.be/RhafHk_tAPY

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The history of one tough mother fucker by Charles Bukowski.

https://youtu.be/mxmU0IZDCYI

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

So you want to be a writer?

https://youtu.be/R5NocU7MZQU

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ah the man to whom it's attributed the great "Do what you love till it kills you"
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

faaip wrote:Ah the man to whom it's attributed the great "Do what you love till it kills you"
Bukowski was a lecherous drunken gambler, who would fight you in a back alley for looking at him the wrong way... and he knew in this day and age that the only class of people you could verbally attack with impunity was the American middle class male.

https://youtu.be/4o7A8ECGDeY

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

For a time such as this.

https://youtu.be/Db_sfCLpjaI