The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 24th January) Poveda set to sign today

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 24th January) Poveda set to sign today

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 24th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Poveda all set to sign today

Leeds have won the race to sign highly rated 20 year old Ian Poveda from Manchester City. The best way to describe his play is it is similar to Sami Saiz. The 20 year old who has represented England in all age groups from U16's fell out with the hierarchy at the Etihad over being dropped from Citeh's first team squad. It was decided by all parties that the rift could not be repaired, and Poveda was given the green light to leave the club.

Since then the 5ft 5 star has been exploring his options with a host of clubs keen on his signature. Yesterday is was revealed by Phil Hay that Poveda was undergoing a medical with Leeds. Furthermore he was spotted and had his picture taken with fans outside Elland Road yesterday afternoon.

Hull may be forced to part with star asset

Hull City boss Grant McCann has admitted that Jarrod Bowen may have to be sold, if the player refuses to accept the lucrative new deal offered to him by the club, according to the Daily Mirror. The 23 year old has been on fire this term netting 16 times in 28 appearances and six assists. His displays have also caught the attention of Newcastle and Leicester.

The latest forward apparently on Leeds radar is Nahki Wells. The 29 year old Bermudian International first caught the attention of the Whites seven years ago when Wells was at local neighbours Bradford City. Unfortunately they were unable to find sufficient funds, and Wells ended up at Huddersfield Town for 1.6m. This term, he has been on loan to QPR (from Burnley) with a handy ratio (excuse the pun) of 1 one in every two appearances (13 in 26).

Leeds remain odds on favourites to capture Andre Gray, but only as a back up plan.

Half and Half scarves

What is your opinion of them? Do you buy half and half scarves as momentums of the day? Have you ever bought one? Have you ever seen anyone hassled for having one?

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 24th January) Poveda set to sign today

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Hopefully the Poveda signing goes through and he ends up been as good as the hype as I feel we’ve missed Saiz so hopefully Poveda fills that gap in t8me for Millwall perhaps :shock:

Bored now LUFC just buy a bloody striker and end all these rumours, false hopes, excitement followed by depression

If I was going to a game where I didn’t support either team (I’ve done this a few times in London) then maybe but never bought one myself. However I’d never buy one at a Leeds game and 1 million percent I’d never buy one with Scumwall on it
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks

Povenda. Hardly done anything to be described as a star, but hopefully that will change, on the meantime he sounds like a stroppy little git, maybe Bielsa should send him out litter picking or he can mop out the Male toilets after the millwall game. Will he play in the hole? Will Bielsa turn him into his Enganche? About 4 months to find out, that is a big ask.

Bowen. If he leaves Hull it wont be to Leeds, he will go to a Prem club I expect. Someone with MONEY What wage would he get with us compared to even a low lying Prem club? And why join us to try for the Prem when he could do it with a stroke of the pen? Oh and Stuart Dallas kept him in his pocket this season so according to some posters on here he mustn't be that good. :P

I dont fancy Gray and think it would be a financial albatross round the clubs neck.

ALBATROSS!

Half and half scarves make me boak.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Poveda is highly rated, Bielsa personally intervened and is also on record as saying he is first team ready. If he can fill the Saiz role, he will be an excellent signing as we have been crying out for a 10 since Samu left.

Adams or Bowen over Gray every time; I don't think either has peaked whereas Gray, at 29, is what he is.

Half and half scarves can f**k off, an abomination!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

If Poveda can do even half of what he's shown himself capable of, and can take Bielsa's direction then we could have a Championship player of Harvey Barnes-esque influence. If he's ambitious to prove himself then he will run defenders in this league utterly ragged - if not then he'll be bullied about like a small child.

I would take Bowen in a heartbeat. That sort of return surrounded by a team of mediocrity is fantastic no matter how you look at it. He would be lethal under Bielsa.

I can understand maybe a half & half as a souvenir of a cup final or Champions League game, something actually momentous but bloody Millwall? Utter trash.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Poveda. We'll see, although his attitude doesn't sound good. Never get that excited by signing players who've done nothing, but they have to start somewhere I suppose.

Have we made any enquiries about Bowen? Would anyone prefer him to Adams. Signing Wells after he's just cheated us out of a game doesn't feel good.

Half and half scarves - what is the point? Even if we were in the Cup final and there was a commemorative scarf, and even I felt like a damned tourist and wanted such a thing, I'd still only want it to say, Leeds United, Cup winners 2021. I cannot imagine why anyone would want something with another club's name on. It's as sad as Derby fans getting a tattoo after a one all draw with Leeds.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:33 am Have we made any enquiries about Bowen? Would anyone prefer him to Adams. Signing Wells after he's just cheated us out of a game doesn't feel good.
I doubt we can afford Bowen, I'd take him in a heartbeat as he would fit the Bielsa system perfectly. Unfortunately we don't make these type of marquee signings as we concentrate on young unknowns with potential or splash decent money on Boro' players who are not good enough :(

I reckon Jarrod will be heading off to the premiership when he leaves Hull

Wells is just a average journeyman striker, please no :chair:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

As for half & half scarves, they are for tinpot clubs

The less said the better
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Poveda looks good but he's unproven and could be s**t. Could be a good move financially to get him on a free. However, he's not exactly a statement of intent signing and we'll need at least another striker at consider it a successful window.

I don't want Gray - think i'd prefer to just keep bamford. Gray isn't even that good and has a massive chip on his shoulder. I fear that he might be a panic buy on deadline day if we've not signed anyone else.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Nothing wrong with the Poveda signing- he adds something we lack provided his attitude and ethic can get him in the lineup. But at 5 foot 6 he`s not going to be helping our conversion rate on corners. Still, no worse than Clarke and could be much better.

I would be delighted with Bowen but don```'t see it happening for the same reasons already stated above. Would love to be surprised. I'd prefer Gray to nothing if only because we need insurance for Bamford. He's managed to stay healthy so far but there are no guarantees that will continue and if he went down now we could be in real trouble.

Half and half scarves are for tourists and neutrals. They also look sh*te.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Rather Wells than Gray, match fit at least, apparently Gray looked very average against Tranmere last night.

Don't get half and halfs, especially the likes of Millwall.

If Bielsa had to personally get involved in the signing on Poveda, that means 2 things to me, a) Bielsa rates him b) there must have been some sort of assurances of game time now, as that's why he's moving from Citeh, with other clubs interested, I'm sure he's chosen somewhere where he'll be playing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wells was poor against us imo, would rather not have to go down that route plus if we go up he definitely isn't good enough. If he's real cheap and we can walk away after this season if we go up then maybe
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Morning folks

Povenda. Hardly done anything to be described as a star, but hopefully that will change, on the meantime he sounds like a stroppy little git, maybe Bielsa should send him out litter picking or he can mop out the Male toilets after the millwall game. Will he play in the hole? Will Bielsa turn him into his Enganche? About 4 months to find out, that is a big ask.

Bowen. If he leaves Hull it wont be to Leeds, he will go to a Prem club I expect. Someone with MONEY What wage would he get with us compared to even a low lying Prem club? And why join us to try for the Prem when he could do it with a stroke of the pen? Oh and Stuart Dallas kept him in his pocket this season so according to some posters on here he mustn't be that good. Image

I dont fancy Gray and think it would be a financial albatross round the clubs neck.

ALBATROSS!

Half and half scarves make me boak.
Cleaning out the toilet and playing in the hole ? That's no way to treat our new star !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 am Cleaning out the toilet and playing in the hole ? That's no way to treat our new star !

Well spotted!

I thought about that after I posted.

At least he won’t be our new sweeper..
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:29 am Rather Wells than Gray, match fit at least, apparently Gray looked very average against Tranmere last night.

If Bielsa had to personally get involved in the signing on Poveda, that means 2 things to me, a) Bielsa rates him b) there must have been some sort of assurances of game time now, as that's why he's moving from Citeh, with other clubs interested, I'm sure he's chosen somewhere where he'll be playing.
Gray struggles v a bottom 3 League One outfit

Just hope Poveda settles in quicker than Harrison who has now develop into a decent championship player
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:42 am Wells was poor against us imo, would rather not have to go down that route plus if we go up he definitely isn't good enough. If he's real cheap and we can walk away after this season if we go up then maybe
Very limited & just another journeyman imo!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Poveda - I have no idea whether he will be any good or not. Literally no idea but here's hoping. And Bielsa obviously rates him

Adams - We won't get him.
Bowen - We won't get him
Gray - We might get him
Wells - We might get him but unlikely after the handball goal.

Dual scarves are just ridiculous.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote: Well spotted!

I thought about that after I posted.

At least he won’t be our new sweeper..
Depends where he puts the brush Image

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Complete Bamford there
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"