January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion-No More signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion

Post by dezzy »

I think we’ll be linked with everyone and anyone until we get a deal done. I would hate to see us go from Adams to Josh Windass.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm Horrific rumour doing the rounds.

Josh Windass (who Wigan fans say misses hatfulls of chances) wasnt in the squad yesterday and we are allegedly buying him.

Please god no.

May i suggest if we are looking in the Championship, Adam Armstrong at Blackburn.

But Josh Windass would be so underwhelming.
Is he better than bamford ?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am And this is it in a nutshell....LUFC cannot self sustain in this division, most teams can't. Ownership has to keep topping up from their own funds or player sales. If you're lucky enough to have been in the prem once or twice last 10 years you have a massive financial advantage over teams that have not

At that point every player you invest "big" money in has to hit...and for us they haven't and it's not a scouting thing. 95 out of every 100 liked the signings as they were happening
Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Southampton & Watford showed every club how it's done.

In fact were Southampton & Leicester in or around League One the same time as us? The blunts came from L1 too!

Can't recall those clubs spending huge amount of money. What they didn't do is sell their best players, they built steadily on their squads.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm I think we’ll be linked with everyone and anyone until we get a deal done. I would hate to see us go from Adams to Josh Windass.
I suspect if we actually sign anyone it will be a player we haven't been linked with, probably someone we've never heard of if he comes in from abroad
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm fairly sure we have been owned by someone or other these last 20 years ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

rrfierce wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:19 pm Is he better than bamford ?
Attacking mid so not really a direct replacement. Can play striker but so can Costa ...Decent at Rangers but I wouldn't read too much into playing sub par teams for 90% of a league season, apart from Celtic it's basically lg 1 stuff
Much better in the air than Paddy, takes up better positions in the box imo. Wouldn't be an exciting signing but would give Paddy competition and a bit of depth..I'd throw a small offer Wigan's way
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:20 pm Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheff Utd, Leicester, Southampton & Watford showed every club how it's done.

In fact were Southampton & Leicester in or around League One the same time as us? The blunts came from L1 too!

Can't recall those clubs spending huge amount of money. What they didn't do is sell their best players, they built steadily on their squads.
I certainly don't recall Southampton selling Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and Gareth Bale. All clubs at our level sell their best players unless they are lucky to get promoted before the player comes to real prominence.

Don't forget we kept hold of KP in the summer when it might have made more sense to sell him and use the money to buy 2 or 3 key players. The trouble is though that players have all the power so if they have a good season then their agent will be telling them to head to the premiership and get a huge pay rise (and a nice slice of the transfer fee for the agent). As such the club then has to either keep the player on the same contract and hope he still plays well or try to match the premiership wages. If KP wasn't a Leeds fan I very much doubt he'd still be here.

The key is more to be able to sell players and replace them well so as to strengthen the team not weaken it, you may weaken it in the 1 position where you sold your star man but if you can then use the money to strengthen 3 or 4 more areas then the team should be better.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

See Forest are being linked with a loan move for Portuguese wonderkid Joao Filipe.

Skillful, versatile and very highly rated.

Perhaps a call is in order Victor?

This kid is extremely highly rated be amazed if Forest get him
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:22 pm I suspect if we actually sign anyone it will be a player we haven't been linked with, probably someone we've never heard of if he comes in from abroad
Agree, if it’s not Adams I think it will be one not mentioned, whoever it is they need to be a 10m plus striker
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am

At that point every player you invest "big" money in has to hit...and for us they haven't and it's not a scouting thing. 95 out of every 100 liked the signings as they were happening
While I agree not every player will be the right fit and that we the fans may be like new signings surely the scouts are far more accountable than what you suggest?

They after all should have the ability to see past the obvious and unearth potential?

Plus we have only six scouts apparently.

Pathetic.

The more I learn about Brentford and their strategy the more I have to admire their hard work. A whole network of scouts and a system bring them on. All over Europe and sniffing around the big clubs in the UK for unneeded talent.

Incidentally one reason that motivated Brentford to try a different approach wa losing a couple of their youngsters to the Manchester clubs apparently for 30k each.

One of them was Ian Povenda.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 pm The key is more to be able to sell players and replace them well so as to strengthen the team not weaken it, you may weaken it in the 1 position where you sold your star man but if you can then use the money to strengthen 3 or 4 more areas then the team should be better.
Issue is we havent even done that.

We rinse and repeat the same sell to buy policy every year until this year when we adapted a frankly ludicrous sell to loan one.

Just during Radz's tenure.

Chris Wood sold- Lasogga, Ekuban, Cibicki, Bamford, none of them got close to what Chris Wood did.

Kemar Roofe wasnt close either but he was certainly better then Lassie, Ekuban and Cibicki. We sold him, no issue with that for me but again we didnt replace him either we used most or all of the money for him to loan Nketiah, that didnt work either.

Charlie Taylor- We tried De Bock (more millions wasted) Douglas as well, thats Charlie Taylor money gone and we are still no further forward.

Ronaldo Vieira- He was sold to fund Bamford because the club wasted the money from Taylor and Wood, consequently no replacement for him unless you count Baker or Forshaw who has hardly been value for money.

Samu Saiz- Wasnt his biggest fan but Bielsa rated him, did we replace him? No we gambled on a bloke who hadnt kicked a ball for 12 months.

Pontus Jansson- Ben White has been great but again imo Jansson is a better defender. Even if he isnt we dont own White, what do we do next year if we dont go up?

If you sell to buy you have to be good at it, we werent and consequently have to sell to loan and we dont seem that good at that either.

Radz isnt to blame for some of those departures but he and his team are to blame for all the wasted money and the poor recruitment.

They are to blame for us still not having adequate replacements for Wood, Taylor, Saiz, Vieira and Roofe.

Our sell to loan policy is unbelievable really, short sighted and worrying but we only have ourselves to blame, we have received tens of millions in fees over the last few years and pissed it up the wall.

What is the clubs plan next year? How will they replace White and Harrison and inevitably KP?

Why are we handing out huge long term deals to lower league players in their late 20s like Ayling and Cooper who both had 2 years left on the current deals?

What is the long term plan?

We cant rinse and repeat the sell to buy or loan policy next year because we have few assets left aside from KP, so what is the plan?
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chris Wood had one good season, couldn't jump more than 6 inches had the turning circle of an oil tanker the pace of a slow moving tortoise and did nothing before and not much since...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bielsa will be having the main say in who comes and who goes. Orta will be mainly finding players for the 18's and 23's plus locating players to order for MB..Hence the chasing of difficult targets like Adams and Bowen.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Not so sure the players have the power in this window, looking like the manager has with Adams, the club with Gray and who knows with Bowen, again looking like the club who said they will exercise their one year option in the summer. Difficult if no one wants to play ball, unfortunately we are desperate and they know that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:15 pm Chris Wood had one good season, couldn't jump more than 6 inches had the turning circle of an oil tanker the pace of a slow moving tortoise and did nothing before and not much since...
Thats a pretty harsh assessment.

He has done more in the Prem then Andre Grey who we are meant to be excited about?

Scored more goals in less time.
Signed

King Cjay

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:18 pm Thats a pretty harsh assessment.

He has done more in the Prem then Andre Grey who we are meant to be excited about?

Scored more goals in less time.
Play to a players strength like Monk did with Wood and guess what you get results. May not be pretty but effective. We are now good to watch but not necessarily effective. Let's hope it changes.

Oh and I agree on the selling and getting loans, barmy. Viera I think looked a far better prospect than KP. But as we say what do any of us know

Radz over to you fella!! 😁
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Vierra may have looked a better prospect but right now we could buy Vierra for 8-10 and we'd have to fork out 20 plus for Kalvin..Love Ronaldo wish we could have kept both and yes I do know RV may be worth a lot more with 2 seasons under MB but you take the score on the scoreboard
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay says we are talking to Watford again about Andre Grey.

Not keen myself, massive flop at Watford.

Very much like Dwight Gayle, class in the Championship but not prem class.

So if Watford insist on an obligation to buy if we get promoted we would be stuck with him.
And unlike Che Adams, Grey isnt likely to improve, he is nearly 29 he isnt going to get better.
Also, he would be far from cheap, Watford want a loan fee (probably £1mil at least plus his full wages paid which are £70k).

And because we can basically be forced to bend over if Watford do insist on an obligation to buy they are going to want as much of their £18mil back as they can, we could end up nearly breaking our transfer record for a guy we know wont cut it in the Prem.

And finally, part of Adams appeal for me aside from hus age and the room to improve which Grey doesnt have.

Versatility, Grey hasnt any, much like Eddie (unlike Adams) Grey is a striker and thats it.

So no hope of him playing as a 10 or outwide to partner Bamford.

Its one or the other and what if MB doesnt rate Grey? Adams is the one MB wants (know it may be out of our hands) but Grey is like for like with Eddie imo.

To expensive, to old, not versatile and its been years since he looked decent.

Loathe us to get stuck with Andre Grey tbh.

Maybe im being to fussy because i rate Adams a lot ?but i could see Grey going very wrong.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Gray would be bad business and damaging to the club.

Even at this late desperate stage I wouldn't have him.

We should be looking at free agent like Bony if we want to pay those sort of wages.

Also we should be looking into Europe and Scotland.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:05 pm Gray would be bad business and damaging to the club.

Even at this late desperate stage I wouldn't have him.

We should be looking at free agent like Bony if we want to pay those sort of wages.

Also we should be looking into Europe and Scotland.
Totally agree.

Grey would be potentially very expensive short term and long term.

According to PH and Graham Bielsa does like the unnamed European alternative but the club would prefer a domestic one.

Id love to know who the foreign one is.
Signed

King Cjay