Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Re: Bamford cannot start another game for LUFC

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Quote stats etc, let's hope come the end of season we go up.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 pm Yes, I know you're a fan but our troubles are purely down to him...everyone else is playing well. In reality as a manager you try something else...Costa has played striker, Edmondson, Alio.
Ali & Costa are far too lightweight & Edmondson is not ready for championship football
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I did say at the start of the season we haven't got a 25 a season goalscorer

Bamford should have 20 by now
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:05 pm Ali & Costa are far too lightweight & Edmondson is not ready for championship football
Anyone is better than bamford. Surely it's worth a shot with Edmundson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:28 pm Has let us down more times than I can count this season, and today his abysmal effort lead to frustration form the players who all work hard to set up chance after to chance for him..which lead to Kalvin's frustration and red card

I reckon 100 plus chances for his 7 or 8 goals and I think that's generous. I don't give a s**t what the stats say they're just wrong

Get him dropped and playing where he deserves to play in 23's..or better still sell him to anyone
Faaip 100% correct I said it at the time if Bamford had scored there’s no way Kalvin would have gone in for that tackle, Bamford is the worst striker in the entire league, shouldn’t be anywhere near our squad let alone the first team.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:05 pm Ali & Costa are far too lightweight & Edmondson is not ready for championship football
We don't know that until we try, plus how bad would he have to be to not be better than probably the worst striker we've had since he fall

No pace
No Finesse
Poor football IQ
Poor first touch
Poor vision
Can't pass very well
Can't take chances
1 in 10 shot conversion a lot worse if you take into account good chances he never gets a shot away from
Very poor head success rate
Poor movement in the box
Slow to react

In fact all the things you want from a striker he appears to be missing Wiedwald was a better goalkeeper than Paddy is striker
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

In desperation I think Alioski would be a handful for defences if he played the striker role, he would certainly be better than poor old Bamford.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I agree and would grow into the role imo..He's wasted in defence anyway and not good enough to supplant Harrison. I'm assuming MB gets say over who comes in since last Jan and I think that's a safe assumption. I think he's certainly the man responsible for Roofe and PJ going. So I believe Nketiah was on his list.

Can someone check Somerset house and make sure Paddy isn't his adoptive son or something? Just recalling that training ground bit where MB goes and hugs Paddy after a volley goes in..and he's not known for that

I jest of course
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leedsgashead
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Leedsgashead »

The penalty was unforgivable, there are a lot of strikers who pad out there goal records by nailing pens, but the way he took it summed him up as a player, tame.
I don't think he is all there i re-watched take us home and he comes across a bit slow, when he talks about how Beilsa only wanted him he just sounds like a child, and when he tried to make the analogy of attempting to kill someone being the same as actually killing someone i know it's cruel to pick on somebodies character but they are all red flags and he won't change,.
He had that really good season with Boro and then flopped in the Prem and eve then you could see he had a decent technique but just didn't have the instinct or aggression to be a top player and unfortunately he is now right under the spotlight because he is playing under perfect conditions in a dominant side and his shortcomings are being highlighted even more
This really is a crucial moment because if Bielsa perserveres with this toff then it's going to set the club back 5 years
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Who do we play upfront then??

Bamford knows that since Nketiah went back to Arsenal there’s no one to replace him and imo it’s complacency setting in plus Bielsa loves him.

Horrible similarities to last season regarding form and our shambolic transfer window... so far.

Thank god Brentford only got a point today and our inability to beat a poor side today has heaped pressure on us to beat Millwall.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nothing to do with complacency, he's still working hard and no one in their right mind would want the ire of the fans by not giving a s**t. It's just a lack of ability, he's playing at a far higher level than he can..
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The thread title is an attention grabber in part and in frustration also in part. I don't really expect MB to step him down even if we bought in a striker this week. But I'd be very happy to have him sit on the bench for a few weeks while we see if we have anything better..

The 23's have very rarely let us down when called upon and playing for the 23's week in week out in front of one man and his dog might be soul destroying for a few who should be further advanced and finding it all a bit easy. There maybe complacency there and they're not really seeing any 23's getting rewarded ..Gotts has been on the bench for a long time, gets a few minutes, plays quite well against Arsenal and his reward is to step down from the first team squad the second Shack is fit...

I think McCalmont, Gotts, Stevens, Davis, Edmondson, probably Bogusz should all be rotated in when needed rather than this volleyball type set up where players are rotated around the pitch depending on need. If Bielsa is just judging them on what the metrics are saying then he needs to stop watching all the games played this season on video for this weeks opponents and go watch a few U23 games...
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 pm Nothing to do with complacency, he's still working hard and no one in their right mind would want the ire of the fans by not giving a s**t. It's just a lack of ability, he's playing at a far higher level than he can..
agreed.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 pm Yes, I know you're a fan but our troubles are purely down to him...everyone else is playing well.
The trouble is that you can say the others are playing well but as a collective team we have failed to score in 3 successive matches. I feel sorry for Bamford in that he seems to always have the pressure on him because the team as a collective lack goals. That isn't me saying that Bamford is brilliant but I have always said that a striker thrives on confidence but it is also far easier as a striker if others in the team are scoring. Take for example the Neil Redfearn team when Morrison was in the team but scored something like 2 in 19 matches but because there were other players in the team scoring we had a decent run. Bamford is a better striker than he looks at the moment, his record proves it but we we desperately need others to find goals soon. Hopefully however it will mean that we finally get a player or two in that can help the team score more, whether that is alongside Bamford or in place of.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

radebe88 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm I like everything Bamford does outside the box and really like him for his non stop attitude and seats gives everything.

But I agree with you, unfortunately we don’t have anyone else at the moment. But if we bring in another he has to be second choice immediately. The new striker has to be be and improvement and not a back up to Bamford
We need to spend good money on a striker, a position that should have been addressed in the summer.

Just can't see us going the full hog tbh, hope I'm wrong
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 pm We don't know that until we try, plus how bad would he have to be to not be better than probably the worst striker we've had since he fall

No pace
No Finesse
Poor football IQ
Poor first touch
Poor vision
Can't pass very well
Can't take chances
1 in 10 shot conversion a lot worse if you take into account good chances he never gets a shot away from
Very poor head success rate
Poor movement in the box
Slow to react

In fact all the things you want from a striker he appears to be missing Wiedwald was a better goalkeeper than Paddy is striker
That doesn't make pretty reading Faaip, but you are right.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:Has let us down more times than I can count this season, and today his abysmal effort lead to frustration form the players who all work hard to set up chance after to chance for him..which lead to Kalvin's frustration and red card

I reckon 100 plus chances for his 7 or 8 goals and I think that's generous. I don't give a s**t what the stats say they're just wrong

Get him dropped and playing where he deserves to play in 23's..or better still sell him to anyone
Definitely agree ! This guy is a total waste of space and money. Jesus knows what he earns but he should be donating it. My Mother could've hit that penalty harder. Without being blatantly obvious about it even JFH on Sly TV said he will cost Leeds promotion and if they can't get target a or b go for target c just to replace the useless prick !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 pm The trouble is that you can say the others are playing well but as a collective team we have failed to score in 3 successive matches. I feel sorry for Bamford in that he seems to always have the pressure on him because the team as a collective lack goals. That isn't me saying that Bamford is brilliant but I have always said that a striker thrives on confidence but it is also far easier as a striker if others in the team are scoring. Take for example the Neil Redfearn team when Morrison was in the team but scored something like 2 in 19 matches but because there were other players in the team scoring we had a decent run. Bamford is a better striker than he looks at the moment, his record proves it but we we desperately need others to find goals soon. Hopefully however it will mean that we finally get a player or two in that can help the team score more, whether that is alongside Bamford or in place of.

Nice to drag up an old team from way in the past for your example, but it's comparing apples and oranges isn't it? (I can't remember was that a 2 man strike force or one man) It actually works the other way though for me, it becomes easier for the rest of the team to score if the main striker is scoring and when you really only have Bamford and Harrison getting in the box regularly (and Harrison does a lot more defensive work than Paddy and has a decent strike rate plus he came a lot closer to scoring than Paddy and Paddy had a pen) it's up to the striker to put away the chances ..including the pen today

Bamford then has lacked confidence all season (Personally I don't think he has a confidence problem but I'll accept the excuse, but he's been missing easy chances all season) but it's not just the confidence is it, but I don't want to list for the umpteenth time his failings. Those failings which are not rectifiable will always limit his upside as a striker..

Honest hard working footballer? Maybe but that's his limit and right now according to MB there's nothing behind waiting to take over.

We moaned all the time about Billy Paynter not being good enough for a mid table team and Bamford is maybe a touch worse in terms of talent. I get support the team and no one tries harder too but I'm drawing the line through Bamford

He's headed for around 15 goals from 200 plus shots
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:15 pm We don't know that until we try, plus how bad would he have to be to not be better than probably the worst striker we've had since he fall

No pace: Remember him sprinting from our box to the opponents box
Poor first touch: Remember him dragging the ball out of the air from a Phillips pass
Poor vision Noticing Harrison coming into the box
Can't pass very well Passing to Harrison to score a goal
Can't take chances Putting a penalty away
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Bamfords stats for what they are worth;

All Clubs/Championship
149 Games