January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion-No More signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: January Transfer Window And Squad Discussion

Post by The Subhuman »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 am After a few grim days personally that made me smile :tup:
Cheers....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Can we all agree that phil hay talks bollocks now? Click bait stories for his subscription $.

Also, i don't understand why we are potentially letting edmundson go out on loan when we literally have no strikers. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rrfierce wrote:Can we all agree that phil hay talks bollocks now? Click bait stories for his subscription $.

Also, i don't understand why we are potentially letting edmundson go out on loan when we literally have no strikers. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Quite right.
CRAPIAB !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The longer this goes on I wonder if we will end up going down the free agent route.

For a striker the "has to be an improvement from what we have" mantra which was repeated last time has to change to "it has to be an improvement on Edmunson"
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Andre Gray seem to be a possibility.

Bit like Adams tbf.

Worked his way up from Non League.

Scored goals in the Championship.

Bit concerning that he has been living off his past for a few years and Watford fans are desperate for him to go.

Certainly not really Prem class but may be worth a go still in The Championship.

Would be a come down from Adams imo (Gray is nearly 29, potential isnt there).

Not a wow signing any more.

But certainly more desirable then Sharp and co.

Still feel we should be after better though.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

rrfierce wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm Can we all agree that phil hay talks bollocks now? Click bait stories for his subscription $.
He speaks well of you. And no, I don't agree.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

15th January

THE CLOCK IS TICKING
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Before the window started I expected us to get somebody in within the first week, we are now half way through the window and still nothing. I won’t go by what is said in the media as it is all guess work, but we will now be playing our third game without a striker on the bench, that’s not very reassuring for a club going for promotion, but I’m sure the wait means we will get a player that Bielsa wants and transfers and especially loans are not straightforward
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

i find it difficult to beleive that bielsa and orta with all their connections cannot come up with something better than andre gray and billy sharp. Come on guys.

Even Che adams scoring record isn't exactly impressive
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

dezzy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 am Before the window started I expected us to get somebody in within the first week, we are now half way through the window and still nothing. I won’t go by what is said in the media as it is all guess work, but we will now be playing our third game without a striker on the bench, that’s not very reassuring for a club going for promotion, but I’m sure the wait means we will get a player that Bielsa wants and transfers and especially loans are not straightforward
I'm not convinced anymore either. We've haven't actually bought a player for nearly 18 months yet received over £30m for players sold.

Where is all the money going? How can we be expecting to challenge for promotion with zero investment for new players.

I appreciate that we're in a much better place than we have been for the past 15 years but the club still doesn't give fans any confidence we're going to get this over the line
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

rrfierce wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am i find it difficult to beleive that bielsa and orta with all their connections cannot come up with something better than andre gray and billy sharp. Come on guys.

Even Che adams scoring record isn't exactly impressive
I’d imagine orta had a few names and ones that would be easier to get over the line, but Bielsa doesn’t want them, the January window isn’t hard to get players in, more like hard to get quality
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 am Before the window started I expected us to get somebody in within the first week, we are now half way through the window and still nothing. I won’t go by what is said in the media as it is all guess work, but we will now be playing our third game without a striker on the bench, that’s not very reassuring for a club going for promotion, but I’m sure the wait means we will get a player that Bielsa wants and transfers and especially loans are not straightforward
Totally unprofessional & unacceptable for a supposedly big club like ours!

I'm actually very concerned if we go up as we wouldn't getaway with the current procedures in the premiership, it would bring back memories of our 2003/4 season all over again
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am Totally unprofessional & unacceptable for a supposedly big club like ours!

I'm actually very concerned if we go up as we wouldn't getaway with the current procedures in the premiership, it would bring back memories of our 2003/4 season all over again
Do you just completely ignore the good work the board have done over the past two years? Leeds was a shell of a club from top to bottom.
I think we are naive in the transfer market and it’s very frustrating but we are in a very good position going forward should we go up
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:55 am Do you just completely ignore the good work the board have done over the past two years? Leeds was a shell of a club from top to bottom.
I think we are naive in the transfer market and it’s very frustrating but we are in a very good position going forward should we go up
Of course not however I do believe our progress on the pitch is all down to one man who has worked miracles with the squad he inherited.

We are good at selling players, not so good a on the buying side in fact we haven't purchased a first-team player since we signed Bamford in 2018.

I don't know of any other premiership or top championship clubs that operate on such limited resources, crazy when you think of our income/revenue compared to other clubs in our league.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I don't think we are particularly 'naive' either; there's a combination of factors that make signing the right players a difficult process.

One of those is Bielsa's particularity in choosing players who will compliment and augment his system. I actually welcome this, in preference to accumulating an oversized, disjointed mishmash of a squad.

Another is financial prudence. We have shown that we are willing to spend, for the right player, but within the constraints of sustainability.

The other factors, availability of players and the behaviour of other clubs, are largely beyond our control. In the case of Adams, we have met Southampton's terms, but can do nothing about the divisions within their management.

I feel the same frustrations as anyone else, but I don't think we are helped by this knee jerk narrative of naivety and incompetence. It isn't accurate, and is ultimately self defeating.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 am I don't think we are particularly 'naive' either; there's a combination of factors that make signing the right players a difficult process.

One of those is Bielsa's particularity in choosing players who will compliment and augment his system. I actually welcome this, in preference to accumulating an oversized, disjointed mishmash of a squad.

Another is financial prudence. We have shown that we are willing to spend, for the right player, but within the constraints of sustainability.

The other factors, availability of players and the behaviour of other clubs, are largely beyond our control. In the case of Adams, we have met Southampton's terms, but can do nothing about the divisions within their management.

I feel the same frustrations as anyone else, but I don't think we are helped by this knee jerk narrative of naivety and incompetence. It isn't accurate, and is ultimately self defeating.
Really well said, there is a lot that goes on that nobody outside the clubs no about, but you can’t deny we haven’t a great track record in getting players in, but I think you’ve covered the reasons very well.
hector

Post by hector »

We just have to think back to the squad that Colin put together to see a perfect mish mash of players with no team spirit.....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:32 am
£12 to £15m on Costa which we haven't paid for yet ?
£7m on Bamford for a striker who isn't a prolific goalscorer.
£4.5m for Forshaw :roll:

Over the last couple of years we've sold players for around :

£15m Wood
£6m Taylor
£5m Jansson
£7m Roofe

I'd rather have those four players in our squad than some who are playing in their respective positions now

£20m guaranteed for Kalvin if we fail this season. All down to Marcelo for making KP the player he has become

We sell our best players but the incoming purchases are not great
gessa

Post by gessa »

3 of the 4 sold were incoming purchases.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am Of course not however I do believe our progress on the pitch is all down to one man who has worked miracles with the squad he inherited.

We are good at selling players, not so good a on the buying side in fact we haven't purchased a first-team player since we signed Bamford in 2018.

I don't know of any other premiership or top championship clubs that operate on such limited resources, crazy when you think of our income/revenue compared to other clubs in our league.
So you're saying we won't have to pay for Costa..well that is good news
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"