Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Bamford & Douglas Start

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm Well what can you say about that performance, disjointed is one of the kinder words,even so we should have been 3 up by the hour, even though I haven't seen it back Bamford's second chance looked a push and a penalty, Sheff Wed were a poor team, which makes it even worse, they worked hard and most of any of their chances was created by us giving the ball away far to often.

Kiko - 5- We're now seeing the Kiko of old, which is not good, he had very little to do but his distribution, what he is acclaimed for was poor yesterday and for some reason very slow at getting the ball away. Should never have been beaten at the near post for the first goal, very poor keeping.

Ayling-6 Another mixture of the good and the bad from Ayling, part of his problem for me is his passion, his will to win,when he gets forward he forgets he is a defender too, which causes holes defensively

Cooper- 6 Same as Ayling, what frustrates is his poor play on the simple things, once yesterday he took the ball down, left their forward for dead with his touch, carried it forward with nice tight control, only to whack it out wide to the right straight to a defender, he'd done the hard work.

White - 7 I thought it was a better performance than his league games since Boro, was partly at fault for the second but did well otherwise, some great interceptions, reads the game well.

Douglas 5 Had a decent first half an hour but hasn't the pace to get back and his passing wasn't as good as it should be, which we were told was one of his stronger points

Phillips - 8 Battled all game, looked weaker when Klich went off, having to cover more ground, which left him out of position a couple of times.

Dallas- 5 - Like the lad but he's no CM player, lost possession a few times with taking the wrong option on the pass.

Klich 7.5 Most of what we created came from him, he wasn't offside for the disallowed goal, we looked a lot worse when he was bewilderingly substituted

Costa 3 He just doesn't do it for me, he's weak, gets taken off the ball far too easily, can't tackle, he marks his defender, never seems to look for space to lose his man, he's been a real disappointment, hopefully Shackleton will be fully fit soon and is given the position

Harrison 7- Has a lovely first touch but lets himself down at times with the final ball, should have scored, first half especially he was finding himself plenty of space only not to get the ball, must have been very frustrating for him.

Bamford 5 Feel sorry for him, imo he's being asked to do too much, he doesn't stop running, asked to get back to cover corners up and down a lot, always chasing, he should have buried the chance from the one good thing Costa did , his second chance he was fouled, noticed from my lofty position yesterday how often he tried to lose his marker, pointing to where he wanted the ball putting but not getting the pass, you could see the frustration on his face. He needs more help, not a signing i was excited about but I will never slag a player who puts in the effort and he certainly does that, his natural game is not the one we play. Infact, I'd say there are few around who could play for 90 minutes the way we want a striker to play.

Subs

Alioski 2 - Woeful performance both offensively and defensively
Hernandez 6. Tried hard to motivate and played some nice passes out wide only for them to come to nothing. Looked a little off the pace but to be expected.
Stevens 3 from the few cameo displays he doesn't look ready to me.

Poor substitutions from Bielsa yesterday, non made sense.
Interesting what you say about Bamford and I think your spot on, he is asked to do far too much work and it takes away from his finishing ability which on a whole this season has been very poor,
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:18 pm Our match analysis & ratings are almost identical mate
Great minds
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I disagree, I think you could ask Paddy to do a lot less and he still would struggle to score consistently..His limitations will always work against him.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 pm Interesting what you say about Bamford and I think your spot on, he is asked to do far too much work and it takes away from his finishing ability which on a whole this season has been very poor,

I'm not sure he's ever been great finisher, more a player to bring on for the last 20 or 30 like at Bolton last season., where the game was bypassing Roofe.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 pmGreat minds
You marked down Alioski lower than me.

Now you can see what he's all about watching from the East Stand :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:08 pm You marked down Alioski lower than me.

Now you can see what he's all about watching from the East Stand :lol:

Never ever thought he was a defender but as often given us something going forward, his passing and decision making was awful yesterday
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 pm Interesting what you say about Bamford and I think your spot on, he is asked to do far too much work and it takes away from his finishing ability which on a whole this season has been very poor,
What Bamford does is stand at the near post for every corner/set piece & often clears crosses as he is the first man helping out our CB's Cooper & White.

You don't see Cooper & White returning favours when we have a corner at the other end, both are as much use as the man in the moon in an attacking sense!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 pm I'm not sure he's ever been great finisher, more a player to bring on for the last 20 or 30 like at Bolton last season., where the game was bypassing Roofe.
On the evidence from his time at least you wouldn’t say so, good player but we are lacking that killer instinct, not sure what price range a player who puts in the work he does and has the killer touch would be, we need somebody to put the pressure on him for his place
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 pm What Bamford does is stand at the near post for every corner/set piece & often clears crosses as he is the first man helping out our CB's Cooper & White.

You don't see Cooper & White returning favours when we have a corner at the other end, both are as much use as the man in the moon in an attacking sense!
Ya both our CBs are little threat at corners
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:10 pm Never ever thought he was a defender but as often given us something going forward, his passing and decision making was awful yesterday
It often is mate, that's why he spends much time on the bench, Crazy thing is Ali is capable of scoring goals something you can't say about all our players.

When I saw Alioski was about to come on my first words to my Leeds pals around me was "I hope he's not coming on as a defender" I knew we were doomed from then on, our defence became worse & it was only a matter of time before the Owls got round the back of us & score the winner.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm On the evidence from his time at least you wouldn’t say so, good player but we are lacking that killer instinct, not sure what price range a player who puts in the work he does and has the killer touch would be, we need somebody to put the pressure on him for his place
Alternatively play Bamford as a No.10
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:34 pm Alternatively play Bamford as a No.10
I said it before, he seems to have the attributes to do well there, boggles my mind that Dallas, Ali Ayling and others have played out of position and we never saw Bamford at 10 behind Nkethiah
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He'd be a Dallas type number 10 unless played as a 10 in a 2 man strike force. Costa Hernandez Harrison and Roberts are all players I'd try in the 10 before Paddy...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

how can him being asked to do too much running be impacting his finishing ability? He typically plays the full 90 so you can't be saying he's tired when he's missing chances from the start of the game, imo he does a lot of pointless running (closing down the keeper etc.) and the midfielders will often be covering even more ground tracking back, at least PB gets a break when we're defending
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

danhirons wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:12 pm how can him being asked to do too much running be impacting his finishing ability? He typically plays the full 90 so you can't be saying he's tired when he's missing chances from the start of the game, imo he does a lot of pointless running (closing down the keeper etc.) and the midfielders will often be covering even more ground tracking back, at least PB gets a break when we're defending
Don’t get me wrong, some of his misses are very poor, he is weak at heading also and is not much of a threat on crosses, but you have to factor in the amount of work that a lone striker in this system does and it has to have an impact on his conversion rate, mental fatigue can come into play too, as putting the ball into the net isn’t his sole purpose on the pitch
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Little Jack's usual home match blog

Always superb highlights footage from his phone.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smithy a Rotherham/closet Leeds fan is back, usually stands in the the away end at ER to capture the atmosphere from both sets of fans. On Saturday he managed to acquire a ticket in the East Stand.

I reckon he enjoyed chatting to the Sheffield lasses prior to the game, which young man wouldn't ?

Remember Smithy's excellent footage of the Leeds fans at Barnsley