Best 1st half in years?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Best 1st half in years?

Post by Cjay »

Generally positivity isnt my thing :)

But last night, our 1st half performance against Arsenal (who have had a poor season but are on the up under Arteta), that 1st half was the best ive seen us play for a long time. :clap:

We had 15 shots and well over 50% of the ball (only Liverpool, the unbeaten Premier league leaders have had those sort of stats 1st half vs Arsenal).

Arsenal had 1 shot on target out of 3 i think it was 1st half, Arsenal were at home remember!!!!

We passed round them, we pressed, we moved, we looked like the Premier league side.

The reaction to our display last night all over social media was great, yes we lost but Premier league club fans are all asking the same thing, "why cant we play like that".

The media are genuinely saying with all seriousness "Leeds are better coached then 10-15 of the Premier league".

We lost.

But in that 1st half performance we could and should have been 2 or 3 up as Arsenal fans freely admit!!!!

To put any suggestion that this was a 2nd string Arsenal out the window.

10 out of 14 players Arsenal used yesterday played vs Manchester United on Wednesday.

Nicolas Pepe- £70mil record signing started yesterday.
Alexandre Lacazette- £50mil striker and last seasons fans player of the season, started.
Mesut Ozil- £40mil playmaker, when he can be bothered is top class, started.

And then we have experienced internationals like David Luiz, Saed Kolasinic, Sokritis and former captain Granit Xhaka.

This was not Arsenal reserves, most of the starters yesterday will start again in the next Premier league game.

But for 45 minutes hundreds of millions of pounds of International footballer talent was made to look very very ordinary.

As the BBC commentary team said, we looked like the Premier league side.

Some of the things we did took the breath away.

That little move which ended in Paddy hitting the bar.
Meslier's kick where he picked out Harrison i think in the other half.
The way Arsenal players got so frustrated with us passing round their press they just sort of stopped after a while.

The Leeds fans singing for the entire match and the shock on the Arsenal fans faces 1st half was great.

I will watch that 1st half performance again at some point just for fun :)

But well done everyone.
MB
His staff
The players
The fans

I dont think any of us expected that 1st half, we hoped to give a good account of ourselves.

But not to go their and basically spend the entire 1st half taking the piss!!!

A journalist made a good point, he was talking about how many Prem sides are better coached and he went with basically the top 6.

He pointed out that a lot of sides, Palace, Wolves, Burnley etc are where they are beause they are solid, counter attacking sides.

But how many Prem sides go away and take the game to the opposition?

Liverpool, Man City, Sheffield United, Leicester?

Thats about it

Very proud of last night.

Very proud of how we did it

Very proud of how the fans sang even when we did eventually go behind.

Very proud of how for 45 minutes we beat Arsenal at their own game!!!

Very proud that we werent afraid and played our usual way and did it almost to perfection for 45 minutes.

MOT :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: Best 1st half in years?

Post by leic white 63 »

we looked the dogs bolloxs !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Maybe a hangover due v Wednesday ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:28 pm
A journalist made a good point, he was talking about how many Prem sides are better coached and he went with basically the top 6.

I would say less than that. Liverpool, City and Leicester are certainly well coached - but better coached would be debateable as they have considerably better players. Would Pep get as much out of Leeds as Bielsa has? Don't forget that City didn't really click under Pep until he had spent a fortune replacing the full backs and keeper.

As for the others are Chelsea better coached? No, Man U? Nope. Sheff U, Burnley etc are well coached in terms of getting a lot out of lesser players but certainly not better to watch. You could certainly argue Burnley have better players so why shouldn't Dyche get them playing like Leeds?
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:25 pm Maybe a hangover due v Wednesday ...
:) yeah
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Hello everybody peeps, I thinks the whole Arsenals team was composed of Greek short order kebab cooks who all looks alike me... Stavros... Good innit.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The only thing missing from the first half was a goal which the players deserved for their performance and the fans for their support.
I had a Geordie mate of mine email this morning saying how good we were in the first half.
He then said we just need a clinical striker and offered us Joelinton!
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

leic white 63 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:33 pm we looked the dogs bolloxs !
Very eloquently put 63 :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Better performance than our cup victories v Man Ure & Spurs imo!