Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

It's the nature of sport to be unpredictable, any number of reasons players under perform we may not realise...If you discount all the teams that should have gotten results they didn't as not good enough then no one in this division is good enough to go up. but we all know three teams must. all you can do is hope, support and enjoy the ride which I am again for a third season in four..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:32 pm Welcome back EY

Surely forum members are allowed to say whether players had a great, good, average or poor game?

What's the point of discussion if everybody's opinion is seen through rose-tinted spectacles?
And what if the only view we get, is through the spectacles
that are are like those used by folks that have "lazy eyes"...
you know the ones that a milky, blurry and fogged up???
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:18 pm One swallow doesn't make a summer apparently 🤔😁
I am always pleased when we can grab some small victory from the jaws of defeat.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Me too chief 👍
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:53 pm And what if the only view we get, is through the spectacles
that are are like those used by folks that have "lazy eyes"...
you know the ones that a milky, blurry and fogged up???
You are very argumentative Rab

Surely everyone are entitled to their own opinions, this forum would be boring if everybody shared the same views.

I'm personally enjoying this season & if we play well without too many errors v the brummies & the baggies I will positively report back accordingly :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:50 pm Ya, I recall you praising him many times and he was poor yesterday, but the negative reaction his is getting in places and is over the top. Cooper getting it too, people go a bit over the top at times
I defended Ayling & raved about Cooper's performances this season however they were both very poor yesterday & I've rightly said so. I actually felt sorry for Ben White who is a young CB with so much responsibility on his shoulders especially yesterday & v Cardiff
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

You are so correct '64 . You cant beat being there and seeing the play unfold mate.
I dont nor haven't in a number of years past but hoping all being good to get over in springtime ....Huddersfield game springs to mind ( no pun intended) , hope to find Elland Road rocking mate.😀😀
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

In the main its just worried fans remembering what happened last season and in fear we may follow a similar route again. I don't agree with slagging individual players, it doesn't do any good. If we get 6 points out of the next 3 games I am sure everyone will be happy again :-D
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:22 pm You are very argumentative Rab
Surely everyone are entitled to their own opinions, this forum would be boring if everybody shared the same views.'m personally enjoying this season & if we play well without too many errors v the brummies & the baggies I will positively report back accordingly :)
Checks and balances Leon.
All I try to do is contest negativity with positivity.

The inference from your rose tinted glasses post was that those that are positive have lost grip of
reality, and I was merely pointing out that folks who have a fogged up negative view are not seeing the big
picture either.

Perhaps we are in a propaganda war to win the hearts and minds of the punters. Whether we
know it or not what we write influences other peoples opinions for better or worse. Propaganda
can be used in two ways... to rally the troops and to bring hope, or to sow doubt and dispair in
the hearts of the enemy.

I was encourage when you started the POSITIVE LEEDS thread... a reformed man I thought,
and I think folks get a lift when there is some positive news... it restores pride, and I think that
is a good thing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:49 pm Checks and balances Leon.
All I try to do is contest negativity with positivity.

The inference from your rose tinted glasses post was that those that are positive have lost grip of
reality, and I was merely pointing out that folks who have a fogged up negative view are not seeing the big
picture either.

Perhaps we are in a propaganda war to win the hearts and minds of the punters. Whether we
know it or not what we write influences other peoples opinions for better or worse. Propaganda
can be used in two ways... to rally the troops and to bring hope, or to sow doubt and dispair in
the hearts of the enemy.

I was encourage when you started the POSITIVE LEEDS thread... a reformed man I thought,
and I think folks get a lift when there is some positive news... it restores pride, and I think that
is a good thing.
I still think we can win this league, if that doesn't balance my thoughts out I don't know what does!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm I defended Ayling & raved about Cooper's performances this season however they were both very poor yesterday & I've rightly said so. I actually felt sorry for Ben White who is a young CB with so much responsibility on his shoulders especially yesterday & v Cardiff
I’m not singling you out my comments, it’s more on a whole, over reactions about players abilities. Every player in our squad has shown they can play well.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm I’m not singling you out my comments, it’s more on a whole, over reactions about players abilities. Every player in our squad has shown they can play well.
As I posted on one of the breakfast topics this week I believe we haven't got one bad player in our first-team squad. Some are inconsistent or injury prone but they are all decent on their day
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:18 pm As I posted on one of the breakfast topics this week I believe we haven't got one bad player in our first-team squad. Some are inconsistent or injury prone but they are all decent on their day
:tup:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just managed to see the highlights from last night.

Preston's goal, plenty going wrong defensively but am I the only one who thinks Kiko should accept some responsibility?

On his line, flat footed, ( again) doesnt try and narrow the angle and then makes no attempt to actually get to the ball?

Shocking keeping.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: As I posted on one of the breakfast topics this week I believe we haven't got one bad player in our first-team squad. Some are inconsistent or injury prone but they are all decent on their day
Lets hope it's Sunday this week Image

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote:Just managed to see the highlights from last night.

Preston's goal, plenty going wrong defensively but am I the only one who thinks Kiko should accept some responsibility?

On his line, flat footed, ( again) doesnt try and narrow the angle and then makes no attempt to actually get to the ball?

Shocking keeping.
Definitely bad keeping.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here comes Jack & his mates

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:48 pm Just managed to see the highlights from last night.

Shocking keeping.
I posted the same in game, should have narrowed the angle. Does that and they don't score
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:48 pm Just managed to see the highlights from last night.

Shocking keeping.
He did seem surprisingly close to his line which was unusual and there was plenty of the goal showing. From where his starting position was and where the ball was aimed he didn't then have any chance to save it. Reminded me of how BPF was often rooted to close to his line. Not good keeping at all.
jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

kingmakerbull wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:28 pm The issue here is not that players had an off day or it happens once in a while. The issue is that this lot of players (minus Pablo) without Bielsa will be floundering in the mid-table. As Xavi (Barcelona great) and Guardiola say it "The most important difference between a mediocre footballer and a good one is their ability to think quickly and adapt to the situation". For example, last season against Atletico Madrid, Barcelona were pressed on the top of the pitch the same way as PNE pressed LUFC yesterday at the start of the game. So, what did Barcelona do? They dropped the forwards down to their own half and Ter-Stegen started kicking to them on the wings. Yesterday, Kiko inspite of the pressing kept passing it to Kalvin and he lost the balls a few times in dangerous areas. And Cooper without any outlet gave the ball away. As far as Ayling was concerned, the less said the better. He punts the ball up the wings and it is always won by PNE. Kiko is a good keeper but others should also need to adapt as the situation demands. These lads are incapable of it and that is what hurts the team the most. Bielsa has got a bunch of mediocre footballers play well as a team. Individually they lack the ability to think (apart from Pablo as the stats show. Without him the win % is 31 and with him it is 63%). So the owners need to buy someone who can slow down, play simple yet precise passes (not a 50-50 ball) and keep moving. And that is the most important thing.
I fear this alot as i like Bielsa alot, but where is the confidence, confidence is something we should be playing with much more than we did today, judging by our league position. So why is it that we still have moment of shakiness and look nervous. I heard a Klopp quote uestwrsay and it was " about failing beautifully if you have to fail at all"

Adapting to the game is essential and I feel that the players don't have the ability, maturity or training to adapt. It was plain to see PNE had worked on our game judging by the 3 players around KP in the first 10 minutes. No names because the whole team was guilty. And maybe even Bielsa.
Last edited by jindy30 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.