Unai Emery sacked!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Unai Emery sacked!

Post by Chilli D »

Arsenal manager Emery becomes the latest Premiership manager to be sacked.
Who would have bet both North London clubs would sack their manager before Christmas?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Unai Emery sacked!

Post by 1964white »

Not surprised tbh

I have a friend who is a gooners fan (Essex accent & all that now living in the best county in England), he reckons his beloved Arsenal will be swapping places with Leeds come the end of the season. I told him I can't see Arsenal being relegated but it will be great to play his team in the prem again next season :-D
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 am Not surprised tbh

I have a friend who is a gooners fan (Essex accent & all that now living in the best county in England), he reckons his beloved Arsenal will be swapping places with Leeds come the end of the season. I told him I can't see Arsenal being relegated but it will be great to play his team in the prem again next season :-D
They've got zero chance of being relegated despite their current form.
Great to see some of the 'big 6' not having things their own way though.
I think Leicester will get the fourth champions league place this season which will mean Spurs, Arsenal and that piss poor team from Manchester all missing out.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:05 am They've got zero chance of being relegated despite their current form.
Great to see some of the 'big 6' not having things their own way though.
I think Leicester will get the fourth champions league place this season which will mean Spurs, Arsenal and that piss poor team from Manchester all missing out.
I'm absolutely certain the foxes will nab a champions league place, they remind of Bielsa's Leeds with a touch more quality.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am I'm absolutely certain the foxes will nab a champions league place, they remind of Bielsa's Leeds with a touch more quality.
My late brother was a big Leicester fan and a season ticket holder until a year before he passed away. He was there when they lifted the Premier League trophy in 2016.
His supporting of them stems from my family living in Irthlingborough, Northants until 1967 and Leicester being the nearest big club.
He would be well happy with how things are going there at the moment.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: I'm absolutely certain the foxes will nab a champions league place, they remind of Bielsa's Leeds with a touch more quality.
O for Varney at ER !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Not at all shocking. A lot of talent on that squad, but neither Emery nor Wenger could ever get them to put side before self. Good luck to the next guy.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm Not at all shocking. A lot of talent on that squad, but neither Emery nor Wenger could ever get them to put side before self. Good luck to the next guy.
that's extremely harsh on wenger...often working on a much lower budget than other clubs and won the league with the invincibles....! he gets (unfairly) such a bad rep despite being easily one of the best modern day manager in the prem. He got criticized by a fan base expecting titles when the club financially wasn't willing to compete with others and Emery coming in has just shown if anything what a great job wenger was doing - wasn't it at least top 4 every season?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

John in Louisiana » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am

Not at all shocking. A lot of talent on that squad, but neither Emery nor Wenger could ever get them to put side before self. Good luck to the next guy.
I agree with your comment John, and as a side note I've highlighted your correct use of neither and nor as correct English, as opposed to some who write neither and or, or either and nor.

Yes I'm a twot, or worse, but I'm condemned to have been steeped in English Language and its usage for my sins. :dun:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Norm wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 am Yes I'm a twot, or worse, but I'm condemned to have been steeped in English Language and its usage for my sins. :dun:
Know knead two apologise
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

weasel wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 am Know knead two apologise
You should have spelt apologise with a 'z'. :P
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If Freddie Ljungberg does well in his caretaker role and is offered the permanent job I can see Nketiah being recalled as FL will know all about him as he was Arsenal U23s coach.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Know knead two apologise
Thank you kind sir :shirtw: :mrgreen:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

danhirons wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:45 am that's extremely harsh on wenger...often working on a much lower budget than other clubs and won the league with the invincibles....! he gets (unfairly) such a bad rep despite being easily one of the best modern day manager in the prem. He got criticized by a fan base expecting titles when the club financially wasn't willing to compete with others and Emery coming in has just shown if anything what a great job wenger was doing - wasn't it at least top 4 every season?
I was careless in my use of terms. I was referring specifically to this current group of players. Wenger was a fantastic manager; this last group of players, however, seemed to confound him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Seen some calling for Vieira because "he knows the club." :roll: What's this obsession with ex players? Wenger had no connection with Arsenal before he went there.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

danhirons wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:45 am that's extremely harsh on wenger...often working on a much lower budget than other clubs and won the league with the invincibles....! he gets (unfairly) such a bad rep despite being easily one of the best modern day manager in the prem. He got criticized by a fan base expecting titles when the club financially wasn't willing to compete with others and Emery coming in has just shown if anything what a great job wenger was doing - wasn't it at least top 4 every season?
The grass is always greener, isn't it? But seriously, Wenger was in a rut and so was the club, better for both of them that he left when he did to avoid tarnishing his great achievements. Things change and sometimes even the best managers know when they have to move on to fresh challenges...Bielsa springs to mind in this regard.

Regarding Spurs, I honestly wouldn't count them out of the top 4 this season. Say what you will about Mourinho but he's a winner and he's inherited a much better squad pound for pound at Spurs than he did at Scum. I've enjoyed him back in the PL so I wish him well, particularly since his success will men it's more difficult for the Hated Enemy to gain ground.

...I'm not drunk, honest...ah bollocks, we won 4-0 today.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:34 pmRegarding Spurs, I honestly wouldn't count them out of the top 4 this season. Say what you will about Mourinho but he's a winner and he's inherited a much better squad pound for pound at Spurs than he did at Scum. I've enjoyed him back in the PL so I wish him well, particularly since his success will men it's more difficult for the Hated Enemy to gain ground.

...I'm not drunk, honest...ah bollocks, we won 4-0 today.
Hopefully they will get top 4 ahead of St Frank and co.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 pm Hopefully they will get top 4 ahead of St Frank and co.
Rogers is doing a bang up job with a great little squad who are playing their hearts out. Like 2016, Leicester won't miss a beat now they're in the mood for success. They've been a pleasure to watch this season and I can't envision dropping out of top 4. Same for City, I mean, they're City. There's some ground to make up and I think Lampard has been overachieving so far so I do think Mourinho will get his team up the table - I mean, he's gotten Ali playing well again of all things. Vitriol aside, he's a very sharp chap and I do tip him for future success but top 4 is a bridge too far. It will end up Liverpool, City/Leicester in 2nd/3rd and Spurs 4th.

Scum 8th.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 am Not surprised tbh

My missus is a Woolwich native and so I'm sort of allied to Arsenal by marriage... :lol:

They're in a tough place with their best players stalling on contracts but if they make the right move in the manager market those contracts will likely get signed. They've got too much talent to drop bottom-half of the table, and I mean real talent, especially compared to the likes of Watford, Newcastle and So'ton are (the latter weren't particularly good in their victor over the former, just luckier - see the Ings goal).

Leeds playing at the Emirates, can you imagine? :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 pm My missus is a Woolwich native and so I'm sort of allied to Arsenal by marriage... :lol:

They're in a tough place with their best players stalling on contracts but if they make the right move in the manager market those contracts will likely get signed. They've got too much talent to drop bottom-half of the table, and I mean real talent, especially compared to the likes of Watford, Newcastle and So'ton are (the latter weren't particularly good in their victor over the former, just luckier - see the Ings goal).

Leeds playing at the Emirates, can you imagine? :shock:
I've been there twice when we played them in the cup!