The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) - Deal tied up to bring Vydra to Elland Road, Udinese

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) - Deal tied up to bring Vydra to Elland Road, Udinese

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Friday 29th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Liverpool's Rhian Brewster is a Leeds target - Whelan

Former Leeds striker, now Soccer pundit Noel Whelan spoke of his excitement, having heard first hand that Leeds are eyeing up a loan move for Liverpool starlet Rhian Brewster, should Eddie Nketiah get recalled in January.

The whisper I’m hearing is that Brewster is a Leeds target. That would be a really exciting signing. Arsenal can recall Nketiah in January and there’s a good chance they will as he’s not started a single league game for us. They will want him at a team where he’s playing regularly. If we lose him, we have to bring someone in. I think we would need two more strikers. One or two is not enough for a long Championship season. If someone gets injured you’re stuffed. Patrick Bamford doesn’t have a great injury record, so we could need to get two in. Brewster would be ideal, as he’s quick, young and ready to explode.”

Brewster's only two senior appearances for the reds this season have been in the League Cup. Given the option, would you rather keep Nketiah, or bring Brewster in? Is Whelan right? Do Leeds need two more strikers (one more should Nketiah stay)? With Unai Emery's job under severe pressure, would it be more or less likely Nketiah would stay at ER should the Gunners bring a new Manager in?

Deal tied up to bring Vydra to ER - Udinese

Matej Vydra's former club Udinese have claimed via their official club website that Leeds have already tied up a deal for the Czech International. The 27 year old spent five years at the Stadio Friuli, albeit mostly on loan. He joined Watford in 2015 having enjoyed two loan spells with them. According to the Italian outfit, a deal worth 7m has been agreed between Burnley and the Leeds hierarchy, and Vydra will become a Leeds player on January 2nd.

Thoughts?

Mass exodus expected if Leeds fail in promotion bid - Hay

Ex Chief football writer for the YEP Phil Hay has claimed that its the last chance Saloon for Leeds to gain promotion this season, and to expect a mass exodus (including Bielsa) should they fail to go up!

We’re genuinely down to brass tax now, it’s all about results and promotion. That isn’t to say that it wasn’t last season, but there was some sort of magical element of him coming in and doing what he did with the squad that most of us would have taken to the abattoir six months earlier.

You get used to it, it becomes familiar, so you start to take it slightly for granted, and I think people are now in the habit of expecting his team to do what they do. Even in his press conferences, last season there was loads of philosophy and loads of fascination about his past career and his life.

Nowadays it’s down to team news and not a huge amount else and he knows if it doesn’t happen this season he’ll be gone, and if it doesn’t happen this season there’ll be players at the club who will be gone, very good players.

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) Deal tied up to bring Vydra to ER - Udinese

Post by Sara »

Can't get excited about another 19 yr old loanee coming in. Nketiah has the talent, but hasn't made the required impact. This Liverpool lad would just be back to square one, as far as I can see.

Vydra has the ability and experience, but not the work rate. I could still see him getting 10 goals though, which could be crucial.

Whelan and Hay are just making a living out of talking for the sake of talking.
gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) - Deal tied up to bring Vydra to Elland Road, Udinese

Post by gessa »

There have been a couple stories already this week about Brewster, but there are at least 8 clubs interested in him by all accounts. Will Liverpool want to send him if he won't get game time, as with Nketiah.

Vydra has the ability but has he got the right attitude, hardly played this season so would take too long to get up to speed, don't see it happening, do we have £7m to spend, unless it's a lone and £7m if we keep him next season..

Hay saying what most of probably already knew.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) - Deal tied up to bring Vydra to Elland Road, Udinese

Post by Chilli D »

How on earth would Udinese know about a deal involving Vydra and Leeds or any other club for that matter?
Pure scraping the barrel lazy journalism if you ask me.
A Vydra can do one anyway after he messed us about.

I saw Brewster play for Liverpool in a televised cup game and he looked okay but I think Nketiah is better.
I hope Eddie asks to stay at Leeds even if Arsenal ask for him to be recalled.

It does feel like this is make or break for us this season with regards to promotion.
I'm not sure I could take going close twice and missing out.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

How on earth would Udinese know about a deal involving Vydra and Leeds or any other club for that matter?
And Vydra can do one anyway after he messed us about.

I saw Brewster play for Liverpool in a televised cup game and he looked okay but I think Nketiah is better.

It does feel like this is make or break for us this season with regards to promotion.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 29th November) Deal tied up to bring Vydra to ER - Udinese

Post by Ellandback1 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:07 am Can't get excited about another 19 yr old loanee coming in. Nketiah has the talent, but hasn't made the required impact. This Liverpool lad would just be back to square one, as far as I can see.

Vydra has the ability and experience, but not the work rate. I could still see him getting 10 goals though, which could be crucial.

Whelan and Hay are just making a living out of talking for the sake of talking.
But has Nketiah been given the chance?

I'd say not.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 am There have been a couple stories already this week about Brewster, but there are at least 8 clubs interested in him by all accounts. Will Liverpool want to send him if he won't get game time, as with Nketiah.

Vydra has the ability but has he got the right attitude, hardly played this season so would take too long to get up to speed, don't see it happening, do we have £7m to spend, unless it's a lone and £7m if we keep him next season..

Hay saying what most of probably already knew.
There were MORE than 8 clubs after Nketiah in the Summer
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

All pie in the sky as we build up to another non-event in the January window
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:04 am How on earth would Udinese know about a deal involving Vydra and Leeds or any other club for that matter?
And Vydra can do one anyway after he messed us about.

Chilli
Yes, I agree. It is make or break.

So why not put every resource they have to bring someone good in January?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am All pie in the sky as we build up to another non-event in the January window
It looks that way.

But we all know its make or break - yet will be more of a gamble if we don't strengthen in January
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am All pie in the sky as we build up to another non-event in the January window
It looks that way.

But we all know its make or break - yet will be more of a gamble if we don't strengthen in January
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Not seen this Brewster lad but Eddie knows the set up at ER so Leeds would be better off doing their best to keep him. Anyone coming in January knows that they will be benched at best because of Bielsas reluctance to play anyone who isn't super-fit and untill they understand 'the system'.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Lets hope Eddie wants to stay - he could be the difference between promotion and staying where we are. Would be a great thing to have on your CV at such an early age and hopefully the other players can convince of this also!

If bielsa has any sense he'll start using him more once he gets fit
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I’d like Leeds to show some real intent and try and purchase Eddie.

Not sure what will happen with him now that Arsenal have sacked their manager.

Just had a thought Spurs and Arsenal both sack their managers and we have one of their players....Guardiola and Potter must be quaking in their boots. 😀
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

With Arsenal sacking their manager it could seriously affect the Neketiah decision as their new manager may want him in their first team squad.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I'm not sure Bielsa is even bothered about keeping Eddie. Barndoor went through a horrendous spell of games without scoring which still didn't persuade Bielsa to play Eddie so now that PB has slightly turned a corner Eddie will still be benched even when fully fit by which time it will be nearly New Year and I think Arsenal will take him back regardless of who's in charge. Leeds will balls this up once again and once again it will cost promotion.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rhian Brewster

I don't really see the logic in swapping Eddie for a very similar player like Brewster, the "whisper" Noel is hearing is the same whisper we all are hearing.

Vydra

I cant see that being true without investment, but hope it is because imo a goalscoring number 10 like Vydra would be ideal. Don't really get where this "bad attitude" stuff has come from. He didn't want to join a side who had finished lower then his current side and instead choose to go to a Premier League side, seems perfectly logical and sensible tbh. Vydra is class, was genuinely excited when I thought we were going to sign him, a step above Paddy, Saiz, Roofe etc, hope we get him in.

Phil Hay

Not telling us anything we don't already know, I don't think the board have any sort of plan should we not get promoted, Ben White, Eddie Nketiah, Jack Harrison, Jack Clarke, Bielsa, Phillips will all go at least.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am There were MORE than 8 clubs after Nketiah in the Summer
I did day at least..villa being linked today now too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

How do you plan for staying down while planning to go up, is not extending contracts a plan if we stay down, and not a bad move should we go up?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm How do you plan for staying down while planning to go up, is not extending contracts a plan if we stay down, and not a bad move should we go up?
Was thinking more the over reliance on loans and with funds apparently non existent, if not promoted what are the club going to do?

Millions spent on loans with only Costa a purchase.

White, Harrison, Nketiah, Clarke, how do we replace them next summer if not promoted?

What assets aside from Philips can we sell to provide funds next summer? We sold Jansson, Roofe and Clarke who were really with KP our most valuable assets last summer and replaced them with loans, so we have fewer saleable assets then we had before.

Imo a reliance on loans is indicitive of a club without a long term plan (same as Derby, they relied on loans and now look at them). Selling owned assets and replacing with borrowed ones is very odd in terms of a long term plan.

I think the contract extensions for Ayling and Cooper were unnecessary to because of them having 2 years left. And all the contracts are to long imo, even Pablo and i love Pablo (unless a coaching role is part of it).

Is tying down lower league players in their late 20s until they are 32,33,34 a sensible long term plan? Players whose value will go down not up.

Dont mean to be negative but it concerns me. :(

That being said i expect Radz to sell up within the next 6-18months.

But imo if we are going to give promotion a real go then January is the time to splash out because the inevitable sale of KP can cover that cost if not promoted.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom