Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:38 pm But how many more goals and assists would he have over the last 12 months if he did get his head up?

How many crosses get blocked because he tries to beat the man 2 or 3 times rather then cross early.

How many decent chances go begging because he doesnt shoot early or pass early.

He gets into more great positions then any other player and his 1st touch is class. But cant remember a single game he has played in where i haven't thought at the end "that should have been far more for him".

His end product is improving but just think the amount of space and touches he gets and with the positions he takes up he should do more.

Even today, 4 shots only 1 on target (took that well tbf) only created 1 chance for a teammate yet touched the ball more times then Costa, Bamford and Roberts who all created just as many chances.

Find Harrison very frustration because he is close to being a quality winger at this level but the same things that were a problem last season still are.
I don't agree with your opinion on Roberts. however you are absolutely spot on with Jack our headless chicken. Took his goal well but I counted he squandered at least six goal-scoring opportunities.

Greed, head down & chose so many wrong options :chair: why does he attempt to beat the same defender two or three times?.....beat the defender & cross the ball FFS
gessa

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by gessa »

On a different note, what's happened to Dack, looks a stone over weight.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm On a different note, what's happened to Dack, looks a stone over weight.
He's trying to compete with that sumo wrestler at Hillsborough :lol:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

In praise of Patrick Bamford and Ben White
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

With Bamford missing from the box so often or not bothering to find the soft spot in the defence it becomes a futile exercise to cross. It's why Costa hangs onto the ball too long too. Pablo was doing it when fit too.

Bamford and Harrison don't play well together for the most part, Harrison headed for double digit assists as a minimum. maybe double digit goals too.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Was that Bamford's first from the spot this season in the championship?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:23 pm All about opinions. :)

Imo as a 10 he should be creating chances and threatening the goal, aside from 1 shot i cant remember much of any note.
Lovely close control with the ball laying off a delightful pass for Jack the Lad to squandered yet another glorious opportunity, our best attacking option who looked a constant threat & is improving with each game in his locker
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:03 pm Was that Bamford's first from the spot this season in the championship?
Yes & his first goal in eleven games, deserved his goal after some bad luck in our last two matches
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm The pass to Ayling for the penalty.
Was that him?

Maybe i am being unfair,would like to see highlight.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 pm I don't agree with your opinion on Roberts. however you are absolutely spot on with Jack our headless chicken. Took his goal well but I counted he squandered at least six goal-scoring opportunities.

Greed, head down & chose so many wrong options :chair: why does he attempt to beat the same defender two or three times?.....beat the defender & cross the ball FFS
I have a bit of a theory about this.

I think its his lack of real pace. He isnt slow but he isnt blisteringly quick.

Leroy Sane is a good example, he is a left footed left winger and he often will stop, wait, knock it past his defender and cross.

Simple and effective.

Adama Traore does it when playing right side (although his crossing isnt the best).

Wingers playing on their natural side (left footed on left, right on right) traditionally were very quick.

Giggs in his prime, Robben when at Chelsea, Bale when he played on the left, even Ronaldo when he was a traditional winger.

Those players all had great talent and a trick or two but first and foremost they could all do the kick and rush that catches a fb out.

Heck Dan James does it.

Jack hasnt got that blistering off the line pace and that imo is why he checks back so often.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:11 pm Lovely close control with the ball laying off a delightful pass for Jack the Lad to squandered yet another glorious opportunity, our best attacking option who looked a constant threat & is improving with each game in his locker
Maybe i was wrong id have to watch it again.

Just didnt notice him much.
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:55 pm Maybe i was wrong id have to watch it again.

Just didnt notice him much.
It's funny how different players can catch your attention in different games. I didn't really notice Klich today, but others are saying he played well. I noticed Roberts today when I haven't always noticed him before.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm It's funny how different players can catch your attention in different games. I didn't really notice Klich today, but others are saying he played well. I noticed Roberts today when I haven't always noticed him before.
Think I said quiet but effective. Just looked commanding on the ball but did nothing that stood out...making a mess explaining my thought process but he caught my eye throughout the match making the difficult look supremely easy
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Slow the YT video down and watch the artistry of Harrison's goal
A delightful ball from KP who is well inside his own half when he
pings the ball towards Bamford who lets it drop over his shoulder
and brings the ball gently down and under control... such a difficult
maneuver... most players would have turned and chested it down.
Then the soft cushioned lay off into the on rushing Harrison who knocks
it in off the post. It was such a delicate move by Bamford it would
not have been out of place on the stage of the Royal ballet. Such grace
and finesse under pressure. Scoring the penalty must have done wonders
for his confidence. Good on the lad he did us proud.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

In a scrappy first-half for the first time we managed to create a 2-0 cushion in the first 35 minutes only to concede soon after making it a uncomfortable lead even though Rovers created nothing of note in the 2nd half.

Positives

Wonderful 2nd goal
Three points
First time we've led by two goals in first 35 minutes
We scored from a penalty
At last a goal for Bamford after being so unlucky in our last two games
Tyler Roberts improving with every game
Phillips pass for our 2nd goal
Bamford touch bringing the ball down to lay off to Harrison
Nice finish from Jack
White & Phillips as consistent as ever
Five games unbeaten

Negatives

Conceding from a corner with no one picking-up their tall left-back Williams
Woeful passing especially in the first-half
Harrison squandered at least five good opportunities choosing the wrong option time & time again
Why does Jack have to beat the same defender two or three times. I don't get the Jack Harrison love-in
Our best attacking player Pablo on the bench for much of the game
Apart from a couple of nice runs what does our new signing give us, more like Mr Frothy than Costa
Klich still nowhere near his best
Our shooting woeful as ever, at least three shots flew over the bar
Should have won by much more
Cooper injury

Ratings

7 Casilla
6 Ayling
8 White
7 Cooper
7 Dallas
8 Phillips
6 Costa
6 Klich
8 Roberts
6 Harrison
8 Bamford
Subs
7 Berardi
n/a Davis
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Bamford showed tremendous courage to take the penalty. He would have been absolutely slated if he'd missed and if memory serves he missed his last one last season (after scoring one previously for us). The control was sublime for the goal, if Messi had done it they'd have been showing it on Sky Sports in every news clip. The weight of the pass excellent too as Harrison was able to stroke it into the net without breaking stride, very easy to overhit or underhit the pass.

Tony Pulis, former manager of Bamford, full of praise for Bamford's ability on Quest. Also made mention, as I have done several times, that he is a streaky player in terms of scoring goals and may well hit 5 in the next 5 matches (let's hope).
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No denying Bamford is a decent footballer but he lacks a strikers instinct...I think we'll wait a long time for 5 in 5 type scoring...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:15 pm Slow the YT video down and watch the artistry of Harrison's goal
A delightful ball from KP who is well inside his own half when he
pings the ball towards Bamford who lets it drop over his shoulder
and brings the ball gently down and under control... such a difficult
maneuver... most players would have turned and chested it down.
Then the soft cushioned lay off into the on rushing Harrison who knocks
it in off the post. It was such a delicate move by Bamford it would
not have been out of place on the stage of the Royal ballet. Such grace
and finesse under pressure. Scoring the penalty must have done wonders
for his confidence. Good on the lad he did us proud.
Actually the player who comes off best on second viewing is Jack. That's a really intelligent run and good finish...Maybe I did Jack an injustice with my rankings...plus as Dan said elsewhere he was up against their MOTM
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Scoring five in five is brilliant...but not scoring in the following 10 IS NOT ! He's got a long way to go before he's considered to be a natural striker.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:45 am Scoring five in five is brilliant...but not scoring in the following 10 IS NOT ! He's got a long way to go before he's considered to be a natural striker.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
tbf to him he could have easily had three out of three if it wasn't for a brilliant save and a linesman gaff.
i think we're all agreed that paddy isn't the second coming of dennis bergkamp However he's the best what we've got at this moment in time. unfortunately apart from probably one or two our squad as limitations .
like it or not i feel paddy is going to be vital to us if we going to reach our goal this season. january is notoriously hard to bring in the right players also it will take time to blend in and up to speed.
unfortunately we made our bed in the summer , now , like it or not we've got to lay in it !!
remains to be seen if he and the rest are going to be good enough or not.