Two Crucial Matches?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Two Crucial Matches?

Post by Irish Ian »

Don't know about anyone else but I have the feeling that our next two matches could have a profound impact on our campaign.

By the time the final whistle blows on Saturday week we will be 16 games in, just past a third of the way through the season. Potentially with over 30 points. Do the math. That is a ticket to the Promised Land.

If we take maximum points going into the International break what effect would that do to everyone's confidence? Remember what lies ahead just after the return. Colder days, nights closing in and away days to Luton, Fulham, two Yorkshire derbies as well. Then the New Year begins away at WBA. A tough schedule. Six points ( and maybe our midfielders and striker among the goals) could be a massive springboard to launch into a tricky series of games as the winter comes in.

On the other hand if we keep on stuttering the way we are ( or worse) I worry it opens the door to self doubt, acrimony, low morale.
Could you see this squad being able to claw back a large points deficit after what we witnessed last season when their bottle was called into question?

Since the last break we haven't been anywhere near our best but have survived. So can we get out of third gear? Turn in a few stellar performances? Surely two sold out home games is a massive opportunity to display our credentials ---not to the rest of the league, they are already afraid of us--- but to our ourselves

I get the feeling that the next two games will be a good indicator if we can.

Insane ramblings over...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Two Crucial Matches?

Post by Sara »

*maths
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Whilst we are so inconsistent every match is crucial
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

All the games in November are most definitely winnable and its our opportunity to put a winning run together and stack up some quick points but the lack of goals is jeopardising everything .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Win today and we move onto 28 from 15 games, multiply be 3 and that’s a guesstimated 84 from 45.
While we are there or there abouts we need to up it as we head towards Christmas and up it further for the final third of the season, I’m still convinced that Bielsa learned from last season and is pacing us so that we have plenty left in the tank for the run in, unlike last year when we were a spent force going into the last few games
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:58 am*maths
Maths, smaths :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:18 am All the games in November are most definitely winnable and its our opportunity to put a winning run together and stack up some quick points but the lack of goals is jeopardising everything .

Agreed, hopefully today with the return of Pablo either starting or off the bench we might create a bit more. That and it looks like we will see a start from Ed.
Although I do see him him as a yellow card candidate if he continues to put himself about the way MB likes it.
'
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:17 am Agreed, hopefully today with the return of Pablo either starting or off the bench we might create a bit more. That and it looks like we will see a start from Ed.
Although I do see him him as a yellow card candidate if he continues to put himself about the way MB likes it.
I think last week Eddie was perhaps a bit over keen to show Bielsa he can work hard and disrupt the defence so I would think he's just been told to channel his energy a little more conservatively this week.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:22 am I think last week Eddie was perhaps a bit over keen to show Bielsa he can work hard and disrupt the defence so I would think he's just been told to channel his energy a little more conservatively this week.
Indeed. Anyone can run around, chasing the ball, putting themselves about etc but he needs to be able to do it in the way Bielsa demands as it is all about pressing as a team, forcing the opposition to play the ball into areas where we can then cut off the pass. This is why Bielsa doesn't play new players straightaway as they have to be taught how to fit into the team pressing and need to be able to do it almost like a robot without thinking. The defensive side of their game needs to be on autopilot and also when we have possession they need to know where they need to be on the pitch no matter whereabouts the ball is on the pitch so that every player has the continual pass options when they have the ball so we can play the passes anywhere on the pitch.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well we got the six points required in those two crucial matches to stay in the mix
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

No room for errors atm. Theres so many teams right up there with us. A bad run and we'll drop like flies.

Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Another two big games coming up now but both away. We have to be picking up 4 points as a minimum from these trips.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 am Another two big games coming up now but both away. We have to be picking up 4 points as a minimum from these trips.
Should be six mate but you can never assume anything in the championship

My concerns are we don't like small tight stadiums & we don't seem to achieve many victories on our long-distance travels south :(
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Who is after Luton?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:20 pm Who is after Luton?

Reading away
'
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Easy 6 pts there.. NOT ! Although we totally outplayed them away last season where PB should have had 6 !

Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 am Should be six mate but you can never assume anything in the championship

My concerns are we don't like small tight stadiums & we don't seem to achieve many victories on our long-distance travels south :(
That's exactly the reason as to why I have said 4 points rather than 6 but you are correct, we should be getting wins at both really.
I think if we can get the win at Luton initially we will achieve that but that game will be a lot trickier than it looks on paper. It's exactly the type of ground we tend to struggle at as you say.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm That's exactly the reason as to why I have said 4 points rather than 6 but you are correct, we should be getting wins at both really.
I think if we can get the win at Luton initially we will achieve that but that game will be a lot trickier than it looks on paper. It's exactly the type of ground we tend to struggle at as you say.
Horrible traits we need to break if we wish to consider ourselves as promotion material
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I think every game or group of games is crucial, a lot of decent teams in this league but not many good ones, there are no gimmes you have to work hard for every point, we do at least!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I like our position, last season we lead the pack round the track for 40 laps before getting passed by 2 that rode on our shoulders, that's a lot of pressure as we became the target to knock down for every team behind us...If we can't break the pack and go well clear I'm happier sitting in 2nd, 3rd or 4th till March.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"