Escape To The Perfect Town

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Escape To The Perfect Town

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:27 pm Best cafe/tea-room is Victoria Mill in Brid which is down a alleyway opposite the HSBC bank

Homemade cakes/scones (baked on the day) & a cup of latte £5 for two, double the price & more anywhere else, Also furnished with comfortable leather settees, much nicer environment than the cramped Costa & other cafes sitting on plastic chairs. It is like an Aladdin's Cave inside, fascinating place we've visited VM three times in the last couple of weeks it's that good :-D

Seagulls are worse in St Ives Rat
Thanks Leon, I’ll give that a try next time I’m in Brid
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 pm I'm planning on being in Leeds for about a week in March and am looking for walks, either in the countryside or in picturesque villages (the sorts of villages Ray Davies wrote about American tourists visiting in Village Green Preservation Society).

Out of my week, I will spend one day at Elland Road (assuming I can get a ticket), one day in Leeds (including the Royal Armouries museum), and one stop at Betty's (either in Harrogate or York). So I have three or four days to go exploring. The Dales are a given, but the Dales are quite large and there are a multitude of trails to walk. Pately Bridge seems like a nice village and a good starting point for a day hike. My thoughts, however, are based on no first-hand knowledge.

So suggestions from those who know what they're talking about would be most welcome.
John, I have a cousin who lives in a village called Glasshouses just outside Pately Bridge.
It's a lovely part of the world but extremely hilly. I was there myself just 3 weeks ago.
There are some nice walks around Brimham Rocks. I also recommend a visit to Malham Cove.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm You renting a car or relying on public transport?

Grassington is a bit of a fave re the Dales and Whitby up on the North Yorks coast is great but would need a car really.
Would like to rent a car, but I'm a little apprehensive, never having driven on the wrong side of the road before.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm You renting a car or relying on public transport?

Grassington is a bit of a fave re the Dales and Whitbyup on the North Yorks coast is great but would need a car really.
Both delightful places
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

By "Brid" do we mean Bridlington?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:42 pm By "Brid" do we mean Bridlington?
Yes John

Town centre is a bit run down
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Flamborough & Robin Hoods Bay are nice
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Favourite restaurants

'The Copper Horse' - Seamer (a lovely village just a few miles from Scarborough)
'The Plough' - Scalby (the other side of Scarborough on the way to Whitby)
'Raven Hall Hotel' - Ravenscar (between Scarborough & Whitby)
'Royal Fisheries' - Whitby' (in the precinct, tasty fish & chips & easily the best value in the town)
'Seabirds' - Flamborough (not too far from Bridlington)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:38 pm Would like to rent a car, but I'm a little apprehensive, never having driven on the wrong side of the road before.
I was the same in France but it was no issue.

Not having a car is going to restrict you public transport wise. Trains and buses to the country aren't great, there are buses up to the Dales and Whitby but would take a while.

You can get the train out to Ilkley which is lovely, lots of walks by the river and up on Ilkley Moor. Can also get the train up the Settle/Carlisle line through the West Dales. Bus to Ripon is fairly quick, could launch from there to places like Masham and Leyburn. Also train out to Harrogate which is a a nice spa town. You can get the train out to Scarborough, Whitby too but that can take a while as you have to change at Boro I think. York is also a lovely old city with regular quick trains from Leeds.

In and around Leeds shopping is the biggest draw for a lot of people, Trinity and Victoria especially. The Leeds Art Gallery and Henry Moore institure are good if you like art, and the City Museum is nice too. I would also have a wander round Kirkgate market and Corn Exchange if you have time. Leeds is famous for it's bar scene, check out North if you like craft beer, Mojo if you like rock musc and Whitelocks if you want a traditional English boozer. Plenty of theaters and cinemas too if you fancy a bit of culture.

On the outskirts Roundhay Park is lovely, Kirkstall Abbey is nice too, Temple Newsham and Harewood House ($$) are interesting.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Thank you all for the great recommendations.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

faaip wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm The Davis Village Green is more south of England Sub Urban type village green, wouldn't it be?
You would think so👍
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:32 pm I have spent an awful lot of hours around Abergavenny!! can't say I like it though. :)
Abergavenny is the featured town on today's TV programme

Much nicer than the impression you give Hector

Surrounded by some fantastic mountains
Plenty of local independent traders as well as renown named shops
Some very good coffee-bars
Big weekly market
Decent restaurants including a excellent Italian
Really good Chinese/Fish & Chips takeaways
Food Festival every September
Bought the majority of my Beach Boys collection (16 in all) in a charity shop :-D
Some nice hotels/B&B's
A couple of decent pubs.....great cocktail bar
Wonderful countryside surrounding the town & in Monmouthshire, some lovely walks
First class cricket/bowls facilities
Nearby Chepstow is also a lovely town

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with Swansea or Newport, now they are sh*tholes
hector

Post by hector »

I never spent 70 odd hours at a time, hiking and running around Swansea and Newport,

and at the end of it all Sennybridge camp is bloody awful too!!

:)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 pm I never spent 70 odd hours at a time, hiking and running around Swansea and Newport,

and at the end of it all Sennybridge camp is bloody awful too!!

:)
Why were running & hiking around Abergavenny ?

When were you last there Hector ?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I have stayed in South Herefordshire a couple of times in recent years and been to Abergavenny and it seemed okay. It was only a brief stop on the way to the Brecon Beacons which are lovely by the way. On the way back we skirted Merthyr Tydfil and that looked a right s**t hole.
Apologies to our Welsh posters on here if I'm doing MT a disservice.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 pm Flamborough & Robin Hoods Bay are nice
With some fantastic coastal walks along the cliffs.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:37 pm With some fantastic coastal walks along the cliffs.
Often walked them Gandi :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm Often walked them Gandi :tup:
I wish I could walk them now. I can barely get to the end of my street.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 pm I wish I could walk them now. I can barely get to the end of my street.
Hence your foot operations, not great mate
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑

Would like to rent a car, but I'm a little apprehensive, never having driven on the wrong side of the road before.
At least you won't be driving on the wrong side of the car though - best of luck with it! :whistle: