Enganche

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Enganche

Post by Cjay »

A staple of Argentinian football.

The playmaker, the number 10, traditionally required to occupy the space between the midfiand and attack. A role that required little defensive output, but rather to always be available when needed in attack (although this has changed in recent years).

Bielsa like most Argentinian coaches loves them, his sides always had them.

Athletic Bilbao he used Iker Muniain, Ander Herrera, Oscar De Marcos.

Chile he used Mattias Fernandez, Jean Beausejour, Jorge Valdivia.

Argentina he used Seba Veron, Pablo Aimar, Ariel Ortega (but weirdly not Juan Riquelme which baffled Argentina fans given he is regarded as the embodiment of an Enganche over there).

At Lille he used Yassine Benzia and finally and perhaps most famously, at Marseille he realised Dimitri Payet would make a better Enganche then a winger.

Its a position that requires great vision, technique, the ability to hold on to the ball and carry it at pace and great passing ability.

Its also the reason MB no matter how much people want wont play two strikers.

He would have to sacrifice the Enganche to do so and as he explained himself, 2 strikers may impact the teams creativity.

He famously refused to play Hernan Crespo (at the time one of the best strikers in the world) because he couldn't fit him in the side with Gabby Batistuta. If he couldnt find room to play Crespo with Batistuta then i think we can safely say he wont be in a rush to play Eddie and Paddy.

Anyway i digress.

When MB spoke about Samu Saiz he described him as "unique", a player with skills "few players have and the most skilled player in our team".

I found that odd, i wasnt as big a fan of Saiz as some and thought his end product was lacking and i could see why he had spent his entire career as a 2nd tier player.

However, MB saw him as someone who could play a unique role that requires skills few players have, in context with the enganche role you can see what he meant. Saiz could find space in between midfield and attack, he could hold on to the ball and carry it forward at pace and while lacking, on occasion he did have great vision.

And all this brings me on to a few points.

MB didnt want Eddie Nketiah, he had his main striker (whether people like it or not) and as Crespo found out if you cant adapt to a different role you wont play. As Phil Hay said, MB is yet to be convinced by Eddie, until either Eddie adapts to a new role or Paddy gets injured then Nketiah wont play.

Bielsa has been after an Enganche since Saiz left imo, just it wasnt obvious.

When the Dan James links came out, we all naturally assumed he would use the pacey Welsh star as a winger. I dont think that was the plan, i think he would have used him as an Enganche.

If you look at the list of pre Bielsa Enganche players, a lot of them were wingers or traditional cms first, Veron, Herrera, Muniain, De Marcos, Matty Fernandez, Beausejour, Payet and Benzia, none of them were traditional number 10s before MB.

And this summer the club failed to get Bielsa his Enganche for a 2nd window in a row.

Marcelo Bielsa wanted Rangers and former Liverpool winger Ryan Kent.

This is confirmed by media sources and by the fact MB scouted him in person pre season.

And similarly to Dan James, Kent would have been his Enganche imo.

Saiz, small, low centre of gravity, able to carry the ball at pace. You can swap Saiz for Kent because he is exactly the same, only difference is he had largely played as a winger.

Victor Orta wanted Nketiah, the club wanted another striker after Roofe left, the club overruled Bielsa.

That imo was wrong, nothing against Eddie but if MB wanted Kent they should have got Kent.

Frankly they should have got both.

This side is severely lacking that Enganche, that Aimar type player, dare i say it, its missing Samu Saiz.

So how do we fix the clubs mistakes?

Well Tyler Roberts did a decent job, he can carry the ball at pace, but he does lack the vision, technical skill and creativity of a traditional Enganche.

Hernandez? He has the vision, creativity that Roberts lacks but lacks the pace

Bogusz? Kun? Shacks?

A Bielsa side without an Enganche isnt a Bielsa side in its truest terms.

The role is synonymous with Bielsa and Argentinian sides in general, unfortunately it is a unique role that requires unique skills that few players posses.

We have seen Klich have a go, Forshaw, Roberts, Roofe, Hernandez, Shacks and even briefly Stuart Dallas.

Imo it is the single biggest recruitment mistake we made, not just this summer but last January to.

Enganche, playmaker, number 10, Trequartista.

Whatever you want to call it.

We had one when Bielsa arrived, we let him go, that is fine, but we havent replaced him.

Is that what MB wanted? Very unlikely.

So why have the club allowed it to happen?

Will it cost us?

Can we fix it internally?

Will we need to go buy one?

Indeed will the club allow Bielsa to have one given they overruled him once already?

Very long this thread, i enjoyed researching this one tbh :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Enganche

Post by weasel »

I agree we need an enganche and like you say Saiz fitted the role. I don't think it is coincidental that Klich's best run of scoring came whilst Saiz was in the team as despite Saiz's end product at times being lacking he drew opposition players towards him and that meant more space for Klich who could pick up the ball in very dangerous areas.

I do disagree with the suggestion the club chose Nketiah over Kent and went against Bielsa's wishes. That would make no sense given how they wanted Bielsa to stay and given that financially it would have actually made more sense to spend the money on a player we would then own rather than spend the money on a loan fee. For all we know Bielsa may have decided he didn't want Kent after going to watch him. Like you say Bielsa has converted central midfielders into the Enganche and for all we see Forshaw's end product as lacking maybe Bielsa actually saw potential in Forshaw, the mind of a genius sees what other's don't. I don't think it is coincidental that Forshaw seemed to be getting into so many shooting positions so I feel Bielsa has worked a lot with Forshaw in getting him used to the role as Forshaw wouldn't naturally be getting into those positions. It would have had to have been something that they worked on all summer and maybe at the point where Kent was definitely available it may have been that Bielsa felt he was better going with Forshaw, having worked with him all summer, than Kent who he would have had very little time with before the season began.

I don't see Forshaw as being the answer myself but like you say Bielsa didn't pick Riquelme for the role so maybe what he identifies as necessary for the role is different to what others see.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Blame that tosser Orta

We don't replace players Cjay, we make do because that is the Leeds way.

As you posted we never replaced Saiz even though I wasn't his biggest fan.

When we brought White in my first thoughts was what an excellent signing we now have three proper CB's Cooper, Pontus & White. Then we tell Pontus on your way so we are back down to two & we also return to the square pegs in round holes scenario within our first six games & onwards

Just when it was blatantly obvious that we required a prolific striker who can play the Bielsa's system we sell Roofe (once again not his biggest fan) but he could play MB's system & he was out top scorer. We replace Roofe with a kid who has bags of potential but can't play the Bielsa way yet.

We should have pushed the boat out & signed Gayle a natural finisher on loan in the summer, mark my words the baggies will go back for Gayle the scrote in January especially as he can't get anywhere the Newcastle first-team.

We failed to signed James because we faffed about until the end of the month when we needed to make a swift quality attacking forward signing. As a consequence we stick with Harrison who continues to disappoint, yes he works hard but it is assists & goals that wins you trophies not just hard work.

We never really replaced Chris Wood or Charlie Taylor with the same quality

We've got lucky because Bielsa has made the likes of Dallas, Alioski, Cooper & Phillips better players however quite simply that is not enough!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Good Op.

The problem currently is we have noone even try to play in that role. As I recall the enganche is freed from defence, pressing duties. Of all our players I think Klich is our best bet to carry this out.
I believe that Kent was MBs solution and it made no sense not to sign him over a loaner who may be good but isnt trusted by the boss. More money wasted imo.
Not for the first time.
Now we have a big hole in our 11. Forshaw found all the space and room this and had so many touches in the box. But as we know he has no end product is lacking.

Personally I dont get how we can currently play with only one striker and not have a proper No10. As I have said many times we have too many players out wide and noone occupying the hole. This allows defenders more time to filter back into defence and also means they can stay close to each other and keep their defensive shape. We press well, pas the ball out of defence well, move well, then it all comes grinding to a halt.

Priority signing.

A No 10, but I am also worried that MB not using Ed will damage our chances of picking up a quality loaner in January. If a club thinks their starlet will just be a bench warmer they may be inclined to send them elsewhere.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm A No 10, but I am also worried that MB not using Ed will damage our chances of picking up a quality loaner in January. If a club thinks their starlet will just be a bench warmer they may be inclined to send them elsewhere.
You can forget the January window Ian :(
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:51 pm You can forget the January window Ian :(
I know it is traditionally an opportunity wasted for us, but maybe one of these seasons... :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:14 pm I know it is traditionally an opportunity wasted for us, but maybe one of these seasons... :lol:
Kiko was probably our best purchase over all our January windows

We required more last season as the writing was very much on the wall :(

My point was proven as we dropped away tamely, the Wigan game finished my hopes for last season
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

We didn't sign Ryan Kent because he was overpriced and not worth the money.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Well done Cjay terrific piece mate. Great read and all very very plausible.
The money is the crux in solving this one, and probably wont be resolutely resolved neither.
The answer needs some inspiration even " divine inspiration" at that for Leeds to go out land this type of player here's hoping.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

paddy parrott wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 pm Well done Cjay terrific piece mate. Great read and all very very plausible.
The money is the crux in solving this one, and probably wont be resolutely resolved neither.
The answer needs some inspiration even " divine inspiration" at that for Leeds to go out land this type of player here's hoping.
Have you been on holiday Paddy :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 pm We didn't sign Ryan Kent because he was overpriced and not worth the money.
I haven't seen enough of Kent to judge him

My Liverpool pal rates him
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm
I do disagree with the suggestion the club chose Nketiah over Kent and went against Bielsa's wishes. That would make no sense given how they wanted Bielsa to stay and given that financially it would have actually made more sense to spend the money on a player we would then own rather than spend the money on a loan fee. For all we know Bielsa may have decided he didn't want Kent after going to watch him. Like you say Bielsa has converted central midfielders into the Enganche and for all we see Forshaw's end product as lacking maybe Bielsa actually saw potential in Forshaw, the mind of a genius sees what other's don't. I don't think it is coincidental that Forshaw seemed to be getting into so many shooting positions so I feel Bielsa has worked a lot with Forshaw in getting him used to the role as Forshaw wouldn't naturally be getting into those positions. It would have had to have been something that they worked on all summer and maybe at the point where Kent was definitely available it may have been that Bielsa felt he was better going with Forshaw, having worked with him all summer, than Kent who he would have had very little time with before the season began.

I don't see Forshaw as being the answer myself but like you say Bielsa didn't pick Riquelme for the role so maybe what he identifies as necessary for the role is different to what others see.
Against Bielsa's wishes may have been a poor choice of words tbh. I think MB was convinced to have Nketiah over Kent.

A local journalist said that Bielsa wanted Kent and believed he could train him to play central but "people at the club" felt that with Roofe gone they needed a new striker.

I dont think given the choice MB would have choosen Nketiah over Kent, Kent was on the original 4 targets Phil Hay said Bielsa wanted way back, the other 3 were Costa, Harrison and White.

It would have made more sense as you say to buy Kent rather then loan Nketiah, but the club clearly were being very tight this summer. Kent was £7mil just for the transfer fee, Nletiah was probably in total £4-5mil, im sure that played a part to.

MB has been very forgiving in transfer terms since being here, given PH named 4 players very early on and we got 3 i imagine his information was accurate. If the club made an effort to get Kent, went back to MB and said "we tried to get him, we couldnt but what do you think of this player".

That would placate MB because he would see the club made the effort.

If PH was accurate with his 4 targets id imagine MB expected Roofe to stay and that makes sense.

Roofe and Paddy strikers.
Costa is the winger MB wanted last season.
Kent is the Saiz replacement.

MB tends to have a list of players he really wants, after Roofe left imo the club's priorities changed and MB adapted as he has before.

Regarding Forshaw, i see what you are saying mate but id say Klich has been the 10 more then Forshaw.

Indeed Forshaw himself basically confirmed his box to box role in an interview with the YEP.
“With Kalvin behind me and Klichy slightly in front of me it’s more my job to just chip in both sides, help defensively and help get in the box and try and create and score goals.

Imo id say Bielsa has tried to adapt, Klich moves into the Saiz Enganche role, Forshaw takes Klich's role etc.

I dont think this would have been MB's preference or i dont see why he would have wanted Kent at all as he clearly did, just a case of adaptingand trying to find solutions.

I do wonder if Tyler Roberts had been fit would we have seen so much of Forshaw?

MB not using Riquelme is astounding, give my right arm for him atm.

But as we know if a player doesnt fit the ideals MB has he wont use them no matter how gifted.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 pm Blame that tosser Orta

We don't replace players Cjay, we make do because that is the Leeds way.

As you posted we never replaced Saiz even though I wasn't his biggest fan.

When we brought White in my first thoughts was what an excellent signing we now have three proper CB's Cooper, Pontus & White. Then we tell Pontus on your way so we are back down to two & we also return to the square pegs in round holes scenario within our first six games & onwards

Just when it was blatantly obvious that we required a prolific striker who can play the Bielsa's system we sell Roofe (once again not his biggest fan) but he could play MB's system & he was out top scorer. We replace Roofe with a kid who has bags of potential but can't play the Bielsa way yet.

We should have pushed the boat out & signed Gayle a natural finisher on loan in the summer, mark my words the baggies will go back for Gayle the scrote in January especially as he can't get anywhere the Newcastle first-team.

We failed to signed James because we faffed about until the end of the month when we needed to make a swift quality attacking forward signing. As a consequence we stick with Harrison who continues to disappoint, yes he works hard but it is assists & goals that wins you trophies not just hard work.

We never really replaced Chris Wood or Charlie Taylor with the same quality

We've got lucky because Bielsa has made the likes of Dallas, Alioski, Cooper & Phillips better players however quite simply that is not enough!
Have to say i didnt mean this as an attack on Eddie, Eddie is Kemar Roofe's replacement, dont think thats up for debate.

Whether it was prudent to spend so much on borrowing an untested kid as you say in the hope he could replace last seasons top scorer is a debate for another day.

Eddie is certainly very talented and id say probably is a better player then Roofe already imo. But as yet as you say he cant play the MB way, he clearly hasnt got MBs full trust yet as Phil Hay alluded to the other day.

I think given the list of targets Phil Hay gave out very early on in the summer its clear what MB had in mind.

Helder Costa was the winger MB wanted in the summer last year. My opinion on James being seen as an enganche not a winger is based on Jack Clarke not being thought of originally last summer.

Ben White was the cb replacement for Jansson, Harrison is someone MB wanted back and Kent was the enganche (Saiz replacement) that MB wanted.

Once Roofe left that created an extra gap MB hadnt anticipated and with Clarke coming back imo the club failing to understand that Kent was seen as a 10 not a winger pushed ahead with Nketiah so MB adapted.

I think imo that Kent or rather that Enganche lacking gap is a case of MB adapting rather then a preference.

The 4 original targets would have solved the winger, cb and Saiz replacement.

MB himself said after Saiz left that he would "adapt" we have just seen a continuation of it by necessity rather then choice imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm Good Op.

The problem currently is we have noone even try to play in that role. As I recall the enganche is freed from defence, pressing duties. Of all our players I think Klich is our best bet to carry this out.
I believe that Kent was MBs solution and it made no sense not to sign him over a loaner who may be good but isnt trusted by the boss. More money wasted imo.
Not for the first time.
Now we have a big hole in our 11. Forshaw found all the space and room this and had so many touches in the box. But as we know he has no end product is lacking.

Personally I dont get how we can currently play with only one striker and not have a proper No10. As I have said many times we have too many players out wide and noone occupying the hole. This allows defenders more time to filter back into defence and also means they can stay close to each other and keep their defensive shape. We press well, pas the ball out of defence well, move well, then it all comes grinding to a halt.

Priority signing.

A No 10, but I am also worried that MB not using Ed will damage our chances of picking up a quality loaner in January. If a club thinks their starlet will just be a bench warmer they may be inclined to send them elsewhere.
I think Klich tries to but he Philips and Forshaw swap positions and imo that is MB trying to adapt without a natural enganche.

Nketiah atm is a bit like Izzy Brown, just doesnt have MB's full trust and Bamford does, we saw last year with Roofe MB will try to play someone as an Enganche if he feels they can but clearly Eddie hasnt earned that sort of trust yet or shown that sort of adaptability.

As you say the lack of an enganche is obvious when we reach the opposition box, the issue is Eddie clearly isnt the solution to that problem and as MB explained, playing Paddy and Eddie would mean losing creativity and thats the situation we have allowed to occur.

The reason i suspect Eddie wasnt MB's main choice is because as soon as Roofe left Paddy became undisputed number 1 striker.

MB wouldn't have seen not having a backup as as big of an issue as not having an enganche imo. He would have just promoted Tyler Roberts to backup striker as we saw when Roofe and Paddy were out.

I think if MB was being totally honest the lack of an enganche is causing him as much worry as it is us.

His original 4 transfer targets solved a lot of issues, he wouldnt have seen Roofe leaving as a reason to deviate imo without others influencing him.

Just my view, not a slight on Eddie but i cant believe that MB would choose to go into a season without a proper number 10 of his own volition.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 pm We didn't sign Ryan Kent because he was overpriced and not worth the money.
But paying around £4-5mil to borrow Eddie Nketiah was?

Tbh this wasnt about Kent specifically more about the lack of a key component of all Bielsa sides apart from ours it seems.

Do you think we are lacking someone like Saiz?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

paddy parrott wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 pm Well done Cjay terrific piece mate. Great read and all very very plausible.

Its just my view lol.

I suppose it boils down to did we need to replace Roofe or Saiz more?

Which do we think MB would have seen as more important?

Imo as mentioned elsewhere, given the 4 targets he apparently wanted very early on i suspect the latter.

Whereas you can imagine the club panicking about goals you can see MB trusting in his system and wanting a key component in his system adding.
Signed

King Cjay

onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Really enjoyable OP cjay.

We do have a hole there but I don't see it getting filled this season. Even if we acquired a player with the skill set, I can't see MB slotting a newcomer among the starters mid-season.

Wish Saiz had stayed. Say what you want about the man, he was a handful with the ball at his feet. Was sorry to see him go and it seems a waste he's lining up with Girona now.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Kent was Scottish Player of the Year, had Europa League experience, had shown that he didnt struggle in the big games and also was on MBs list.

By the end of Ed's loan we will have eaten up something close to 4M, or two thirds Kents Fee less wages.

And there is also the possible resale value in a 21yo.

Now we have Izzy Brown Mk2.
'
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think Kent was maybe on the original wishlist but as we saw with White, Costa and Harrison we were able to get them in early and that is the key point for me as Bielsa needs time to work with players. Even then it appears he feels he hasn't quite got Costa to the levels he wants as barring the injuries I doubt he would have made a start. White was a different story for me as I feel a centreback doesn't have to do the same amount of movement as the other 8 outfield players in Bielsa's system, just defend, play the ball out of defence and occasionally bring it out of defence before passing. As such it is easier to slot a new player into the centreback position than a winger, no.10 etc

I think as the summer wore on it got to the point where Bielsa probably preferred to work with what he had. He could adapt the system and to be fair did it brilliantly with Forshaw being a different type of no.10 and before Forshaw's injury we had only conceded 2 goals in 6 matches and one of those was the last minute goal to Swansea when we had changed our system as we tried to get the winner. People seem to criticise Bielsa for not adapting and changing but I think he did and decided that what Forshaw lacked in end product he made up for by making us more solid all over the pitch - there were only 11 shots on target against us in the opening 6 matches. Bielsa probably also felt that he could keep working with Tyler Roberts who played a lot of matches in the no.10 role last season, albeit again lacking end product but the talent is there for him to create and score more.

I wouldn't worry too much about Nketiah as Bielsa's slow introduction of Costa would seem to disprove any theories that Bielsa didn't want Nketiah. If Costa was on Bielsa's wishlist but has had to wait for injuries before getting in the team then it disproves the notion that Bielsa by not playing Nketiah shows he doesn't want him. Costa got into the team because of injuries and that would appear to be the same case with Nketiah. It is just a simple equation that 2 strikers can't play in a formation that has space for only 1 striker.

Additionally we created 106 chances in our opening 6 matches with Forshaw in the n0.10 role - an average of nearly 18 per match.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Kent was too expensive and was poor previously in the Championship. I suspect he'd have been another Jack Harrison, also he's currently injured.

I don't understand why we aren't looking in Spain. Saiz was nothing out of the ordinary there, yet he was a class above in the Championship and he cost £3m. Why waste £10m on an inferior player? Our scouting needs to improve.